popRoid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:16 PM

JoeKan:

I presume you are talking about what support is needed in the truck bed under the camper to clear the bed rails ? 

Attached find a picture of how I do it....the longer sticks were initially used to see if I needed more material to clear the bed rails...once I established that I just rely on the shorter 2x4's with plywood caps running across the bed and pulled the longer sticks out completely before loading the camper.  If you have a 10' cabover you will need additional support under the camper door and on top of the opened tailgate. 

popRoid, what are plywood caps and how do you keep you 2x4s from sliding? Thanks, Joe 

Joe:

More pictures attached which explain everything:

2x4 with 1/2 inch plywood cap/truck bed camper support
2x4 with 1/2 inch plywood cap/truck bed camper support

I use a total of 7 of these supports ....2x4 with 1/2 inch plywood caps attached to each.  This will accomplish 3 things:  1) supports the bottom of the camper in the bed  2) raises the camper up enough to clear the bed rails of a 2017 F350 aluminum bed (other trucks might need more or less clearance) 3) gets the bottom of the camper above some standing water in the bed.  If you have a 10' cabover on an 8 ft bed you will need one support on the rear dropped tailgate under the back camper door for a total of 7 supports.....6 in the bed and one on the dropped tailgate.

My F350 has a sprayed Rhino bed liner and with the Alaskan I had Brian Wheat add additional insulation to the inside floor.

The 2x4's are of several lengths depending on where they are placed inside the bed and up against the wheel wells.  I use a separate 1/2 inch piece of plywood up against the rear wall to keep the camper from rubbing (see in picture)..

NONE of the 2x4's are bolted to the actual bed of the truck and all just "float" independently under the camper.  I also have never used a rubber "horse mat" as have not found it necessary....the tie downs will keep the camper from moving much.  I've travelled over 20,000 miles using this system with no issues.  This method is how the Alaskan factory in Winlock did it when I picked the camper up.    

NOTE: if you are storing the camper (off the truck)  I use a set of  camper packers from:   https://www.torklift...v/camper-packer  and the Reico Titans are all mounted as well on the camper for backup to the camper packer.

Happy to help....If you need anything else just post away.  

Lloyd

Edited by popRoid, 14 January 2020 - 11:31 PM.

2018 10' Alaskan Cabover/2017 Ford  F350 Dually Diesel

#12 JoeKan

JoeKan

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:31 AM

Thanks popRoid, they say a picture is worth a 1000 words, but 3 pictures helped me to see the light!!  I appreciate you. 

1972 NCO Alaskan 10'

#13 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:13 AM

"NONE of the 2x4's are bolted to the actual bed of the truck and all just "float" independently under the camper."

Uhm, your FIRST picture showed what certainly LOOKED like the heads of carriage bolts at the ends of each 2x4.  If not bolts, what are they?

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#14 popRoid

popRoid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:34 PM

Afternoon Optimistic:

What you are seeing on the 2x4 supports is a caulk spot at the ends.  I initially used a bit of dark caulk to hold some shims in place that I thought might be needed to completely dial in leveling things out.  It turns out most of them were not needed after all.  Sorry to have misled someone on thinking they were carriage bolts.  My camper on a long hard trip has shifted maybe up to a 1/4 inch ....mostly from front to back and particularly on dirt roads with pot holes and moguls.

Happy trails....Lloyd 

2018 10' Alaskan Cabover/2017 Ford  F350 Dually Diesel

#15 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:00 PM

...mostly from front to back and particularly on dirt roads with pot holes and moguls.

Happy trails....Lloyd 

"moguls" - giggle... makes me laugh but I have certainly got the image in my mind now!

#16 Denis

Denis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 06:13 PM

Did JoeKan ever say who shipped his camper to him from Ohio?

#17 JoeKan

JoeKan

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 25 November 2020 - 03:50 AM

Did JoeKan ever say who shipped his camper to him from Ohio?

Fat Aces out of Omaha. I recommend him. 

1972 NCO Alaskan 10'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users