14 replies to this topic

#1 Mogin around the west

Mogin around the west

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:50 AM

Hey there,

Just discovered this site today after my wife and our 2yo daughter purchased a 2015 FWC Fleet. 

We are hoping to put it onto a GMC Canyon after we offload my old rusty Tundra.

My question is; does anyone have experience running a fleet on a short bed with the tailgate down? If so, would you recommend it? 

The payload difference and turning ratio between the short bed and long bed is enough to make it appealing.

Thanks

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,572 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 January 2020 - 03:04 AM

That’s a lot of weight behind the axle.   Personally, I would opt for a 6’ bed.  People do run with campers on the tailgate, but it can create issues like accessing/cranking down the spare.

I am haunted by waters

#3 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 12 January 2020 - 04:40 AM

Welcome to the site. One of the last remaining friendly and civil corners left on the internet.

As for a truck I would go with a 6' bed. Like Wandering Sagebrush pointed out it is a lot of weight behind the axle which can cause poor handling.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,572 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 January 2020 - 04:51 AM

Hey there,

Just discovered this site today after my wife and our 2yo daughter purchased a 2015 FWC Fleet. 

We are hoping to put it onto a GMC Canyon after we offload my old rusty Tundra.

My question is; does anyone have experience running a fleet on a short bed with the tailgate down? If so, would you recommend it? 

The payload difference and turning ratio between the short bed and long bed is enough to make it appealing.

Thanks

And my apologies for my manners!  Yes, welcome to Wander the West.  We look forward to seeing your contributions.

I am haunted by waters

#5 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 12 January 2020 - 06:58 PM

Welcome Mogin!

Imagine going down a steep mountain road and in the middle of a fairly tight curve you have to hit the brakes.  That's exactly the time you don't want weight past the bed of the truck.  I had a Grandby on a full size shortbed truck (RAM 1500) and although it was fine going straight down the highway, it changed the handling characteristics enough that I had no confidence an emergency maneuver would turn out well for me.   

#6 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:57 AM

Isn’t the short bed canyon the truck that FWC says they won’t put a camper in? Something about no place to put eye bolts without dropping the gas tank.

Welcome to WTW.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#7 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 05:15 AM

I read somewhere that one pound placed behind the rear axle is equal to 3# in front of the axle. (Don't quote me on this.) And welcome to WTW...

#8 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 13 January 2020 - 05:21 AM

The big problem with weight behind the axle is it takes weight off the front. That affects braking and fore/aft balance.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#9 Mogin around the west

Mogin around the west

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:28 PM

Thanks for the info, everyone. Very helpful. Seems like we should definitely go with a 6-foot bed. But now I have another question...

We've been looking at Canyons because they have significantly higher payloads than Tacomas, and with a 1,200-lb fleet, three humans, and either bikes or a canoe, we'd definitely be exceeding the Tacoma's payload capacity. But in looking around the internet (and the town we live in), we see tons of Fleets on Tacomas, and very few on Canyons.  I know the tacoma is more desirable but its hard to imagine that running a tacoma with so much weight, even with modifications, is that much preferable to a canyon. Is there anything I should know about running a Fleet on a canyon. Basically just interested in your thoughts on a Tacoma vs Canyon under a fleet.

#10 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 17 January 2020 - 01:03 AM

I have the Colorado (6 ft bed) with an Eagle. It has been done with a number of mods. The electrical plug in bed is tight and the bed turnbuckle bolt eye at the drivers side front corner is very tricky due to the gas tank. There is a guy that did this a short bed  in 2016 so check the search feature.  .... not sure of the outcome.

My concern is as others stated... weight behind axil. As it is I had Boise Springworks build my leaf spring pack after a trip to AK from New England. Handling can make all the difference between having fun on a trip and spending the whole time worrying ....working the machine. So research it first!

HIGHLY recommend a leaf spring pack from Boise Spring works.... they did a great job and my Eagle rides as it should.... mind you I did not like the rake of the Colorado (being a lifetime Taco guy) ....I love the truck...so I used Bilstein RHA shocks in the front take can be raised 2" (I did).... it is now flat with the camper in with the spring pack. (In winter in the NE I take camper out and put 600 lbs cent pad in the back to make the ride smooth...as a spring pack makes it bouncy without the weight it needs. ..... NOTE have the alignment done with the camper in... your tires will thank you) !0 PLY E rated!

Edited by buckland, 17 January 2020 - 01:08 AM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Canyon, FWC, fleet, GMC, short bed, long bed, tailgate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users