#1 crumbs

crumbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 18 January 2020 - 07:19 PM

Does the integrity of the bottom section of these campers depend on the top being on it when traveling?  Written another way, does the top locked down on the four walls add to the bottoms strength?  

I have little doubt that the top needs to be down and locked for its own security. 

2wd  Looking for a New Puma Shell 78" wide with a 60" interior closed height.

#2 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 742 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 18 January 2020 - 07:52 PM

FWC models have a welded aluminum frame which supports the bottom section very well, independent from the top. I think ATC does as well, but perhaps an owner will chip in. I have been known to move from one campsite to another with the top up going very slowly.

Note, however, the floor of the camper is not supported well enough to go inside while the camper is on corner jacks, if you did't already know this. That's why many of us who take ours off for the winter have built a platform dolly to support the camper from the bottom while off the truck.

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:29 PM

Does the integrity of the bottom section of these campers depend on the top being on it when traveling?  Written another way, does the top locked down on the four walls add to the bottoms strength?  

I have little doubt that the top needs to be down and locked for its own security. 

There are lots of stories of people doing highway speeds with the top up, but no horror stories that I am aware of.  That said, not a good practice.  The aluminum frame is pretty strong.

I am haunted by waters

#4 crumbs

crumbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:12 AM

Bosque Bill: No I had not realized that you couldn't use them while they were on the jacks without added support.

Wandering Sagebrush: I would think the canvas at the very least would begin to fail if that is done too often.  

This has my wheels turning.      

FWC models have a welded aluminum frame which supports the bottom section very well, independent from the top. I think ATC does as well, but perhaps an owner will chip in. I have been known to move from one campsite to another with the top up going very slowly.

Note, however, the floor of the camper is not supported well enough to go inside while the camper is on corner jacks, if you did't already know this. That's why many of us who take ours off for the winter have built a platform dolly to support the camper from the bottom while off the truck.

There are lots of stories of people doing highway speeds with the top up, but no horror stories that I am aware of.  That said, not a good practice.  The aluminum frame is pretty strong.

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 19 January 2020 - 02:55 AM

Stronger than you think. http://www.wanderthe...umb#entry110643

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 crumbs

crumbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 19 January 2020 - 04:23 AM

Thanks for the link.  I'm sure I'll repeat some errors along the way, along with a few new ones of my own.

I want to point out that the reason for questioning the strength is not as obvious as it would seem.  I have some other ideas for the camper shell and I wanted to get a general impression from the crew here of its need to have a roof clamp down to keep the sides from undoing themselves while in motion..  

I hope to visit the builders before the the end of March.

Stronger than you think. http://www.wanderthe...umb#entry110643

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 19 January 2020 - 04:34 AM

Bosque Bill: No I had not realized that you couldn't use them while they were on the jacks without added support.

Wandering Sagebrush: I would think the canvas at the very least would begin to fail if that is done too often.  

This has my wheels turning.      

It’s usually done accidentally, either forgetting to lower the top, or forgetting to latch it and having it pop up underway.

I am haunted by waters

#8 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:09 PM

Here is an interesting take on driving with the camper top in the up position.  Last October we were with a group of friends (including Tuff Guy and wife from this forum) gassing up in Torrey, Utah near Capital Reef NP when a truck with a FWC drove by with his top in the up position.  Several of us ran out to toward the road waving and shouting to get his attention, but to no avail.  A while later at the CR visitors center the same fellow came driving in with his top still popped.  Thinking that we were being good Samaritans, we flagged him down and pointed to his upright camper top.  He said, "Oh, I always travel with the top up as long as I am not exceeding 55 mph.  The factory told me that that was fine, and I've been doing it for years!"  We saw him twice more in the next few days, always with his top in the up position.  I guess that speaks to the structural soundness of these campers, but it is certainly not something that I plan to practice.  

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#9 NRVhawk

NRVhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:31 PM

When I went to pick up my new Hawk from my FWC dealer a few years ago, it was supported on corner jacks with nothing under the floor.  The dealer invited me to go inside the camper while they installed eyebolts in my truck bed.  I was a bit surprised, having read here that wasn't a good idea, so I said, "I thought the floor won't support my weight."   He said, "Oh, it'll support you, no problem."   So I carefully went inside, and sure enough, I didn't feel anything give or move.   Still, that's the only time I've ever been in it without the floor supported - when it's off the truck, I keep it on a dolly.  Just in case I ever feel like doing jumping jacks in the camper.  8^)

Rusty

New River Valley, VA

#10 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:50 PM

Hi Crumbs

And welcome to WTW.

I can help but get the impression you are not gonna get the answer you want unless you ask the question you have.

The sidewall frame construction does not depend on the roof being clamped down but overall, these lightweight aluminum campers are designed to a very specific purpose.

One description is that they are much like an egg shell......very strong yet very fragile.

The factory used to have a frame "skeleton" they took to trade shows to display...if you could see that it might help you get the info your looking for.

Enjoy the search.

David Graves

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users