Photo

What is your preferred Sealant/Caulking?

Sealant caulking camper repair roofing siding

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 20 January 2020 - 06:42 PM

I don’t mean to start a war of silicone people vs Sitka-Flex vs 3M Products. But I have heard many different things about many different products. I have used Sitka-Flex and finds that it grabs and holds dirt causing it to look grimy, 3M 3200 it stays tacky but is a pain to remove and finally silicone which is easy to remove but seems to have a 3-4 year life span. I am doing some work on the camper and really haven’t been super happy with any one product.

ATC recommends 100% silicone because it is easy to remove.

Called FWC but was not able to reach anybody.

So what do you use/like and why?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#2 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,215 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:18 PM

It depends on the specific application:

https://www.practica...ks-and-sealants

https://www.boat-ren...arine-sealants/

I have used 3M 4200 on the camper to seal around the roof screws and the solar cable box penetration in the roof and it has worked fine with no leaks.  It does need to be applied with care or it will get all over everything but once set up it is fine and it still looks good after 2 years.  

Edited by ckent323, 21 January 2020 - 07:35 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 21 January 2020 - 02:43 AM

i know what you mean about the sealant getting dirty.  I used butyl tape and 3m 4200 a lot last summer and after a trip to Utah, all the exposed bits are dirty red.    :(  Badge of honor I suppose! 

#4 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:33 AM

i know what you mean about the sealant getting dirty.  I used butyl tape and 3m 4200 a lot last summer and after a trip to Utah, all the exposed bits are dirty red.    :(  Badge of honor I suppose! 

I did the same thing before also going to Utah and have the "Utah Red" look. I also did some work before going to NE Oregon and that Sitkaflex has the black/grey dust stain. I guess all the sealant creates a mosaic of different dust colors from my travels.

The only sealant I have been able to clean off is silicone.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:35 AM

yes, but silicon leaves a residue that wont let anything else stick to it. 

#6 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:13 AM

I use Gloozit, comes in a tube from Home Hardware in Canada for about $11 Cdn. So it is expensive but really sticky.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#7 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 21 January 2020 - 02:17 PM

I use 3M 5200. Didn't get the "Utah red" on the last camper where I used it to seal the roof vent & it's screws or the solar panel mounting screws. Have not yet had need to use it on the new to us camper.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#8 yfarm

yfarm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 01:12 PM

3m 4200, use a heat gun to remove

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sealant, caulking, camper repair, roofing, siding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users