• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 camper101

camper101

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 23 January 2020 - 03:19 AM

I'm thinking of getting snow tires, and it might be time for some new tires as well. Last time I looked into this, I decided to go with E-rated tires. I'll probably do that again, but out of curiosity, I'm wondering about SL — particularly for the winter time.

I have a Tacoma and Eagle.

1. Is anybody running SL-rated tires year-round without problem?
  2. Dumb question: Any issues with a snow tire when you get off the beaten path, in the Utah desert, for example? I don't get too crazy, but I feel more confident around pointy rocks with a 10-ply tire.

Thanks, all!

2012 Eagle Shell with a few extras

#2 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 23 January 2020 - 04:15 AM

Aren't SL rated tires are typical passenger car tires (P-metric) and have a max inflation of 35psi?  This is probably a little low for even a Tacoma with a FWC.     I am pretty sure 'SL' is equivalent to load range 'B' in light truck tires.   This is equivalent to a '4-ply' rating in old school terms (although this does not correlate with how many plies the tire may have).   

I have run Blizzack W965 Load range 'E'  (aka 10 ply) snow tires on my first Tacoma with a camper - these were great in the snow and fine in the desert.  

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#3 camper101

camper101

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:37 PM

Thanks Rando - that's helpful to hear. E-rated snow tires sound like an excellent idea. I didn't see Blizzacks in my size, but I'll ask a tire shop for more help.

2012 Eagle Shell with a few extras

#4 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:08 PM

Blizzacks and other snow tires are certainly available in 235/85R16 E, which is what I use on my Tacoma.    I think this is a fairly common size for full size work trucks. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users