24 replies to this topic

#11 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 26 January 2020 - 05:51 AM

I ran a Little Buddy heater in my camper as my only source of heat. I had bad condensation issues in my camper. Granted I was in Cascade mountains Washington in the winter. Installed a forced air furnace and have not looked back. It does cycle a lot in colder weather however being able to dry my clothes makes it worth while. 

If you go this route look into is an insulating pack for the canvas. And put the thermostat within easy reach of the bed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#12 FishBamboo

FishBamboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast California

Posted 28 January 2020 - 01:41 AM

Thank you all for the info and advice.

Happy Wandering

#13 FishBamboo

FishBamboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:29 AM

Hi Crumbs,

Any luck talking to the company. I have left 3 messages with no returned call.

#14 crumbs

crumbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 29 January 2020 - 02:13 AM

Hello FishBamboo,

Being the moisture situation is a consideration, I'm not quite understanding why the Wave system hadn't thought to develop a similar method?  It's not that I'm cheering on one over the other, I'm simply holding back, hoping to maybe get some more information from actual users.  

Here are some oldies related to this heater.  Maybe even includes a WTW member.

http://www.fiberglas...ater-35952.html

Two pages of posts.  A few of the post that others here might be interested in reading.

https://www.doityour...-rv-heater-mod/

Hi Crumbs,

Any luck talking to the company. I have left 3 messages with no returned call.

https://www.doityour...-rv-heater-mod/

2wd  Looking for a New Puma Shell 78" wide with a 60" interior closed height.

#15 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 30 January 2020 - 06:17 PM

I've used a Little Buddy and Wave in my previous Hawks. I do a lot of winter camping and I only kept them on for maybe 10-15 minutes at a time for a quick warm up - generally first thing in the morning so there was minimal condensation. I liked the simplicity of the Wave and had it mounted on one of my cabinet doors so that I could point it in different directions. I would open one of the access doors to the turnbuckle hold downs for it's oxygen source and kept the roof vent open a crack for venting any CO2. I installed a Propex in my current ATC and it's been bombproof compared to the glitchy Atwoods that were in my Hawks. Our 20* down backpacking quilts keep us warm at nights so we never use our furnace while sleeping. Though a bit pricey I highly recommend a Propex.

You can't go wrong with the Wave 3. As some folks have said it helps to circulate the air with a small fan. I don't think you'll need to keep the Wave on continously as it will get too hot and you will experience more condensation. 

BTW, I've never had the cold wether pack in any of my campers.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#16 lostcreek

lostcreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:34 PM

Does anyone have a PDF of the current PlatCat heater manual?  Model 3P12B, 3000BTU (but any manual will help).

I can't get a reply from the company.  I'd like to check if I have room to install one in my truck camper.

However currently I'm a satisfied user of the Wave 3.  I use it occasionally in spring through fall, mostly in the evening and morning, rarely all night.  Always allow recommended ventilation, have never had any air quality problems.  Runs well up to 11K ft elevation, dry climates. The sparker does not always light the gas, not sure why; a match or lighter always works.  Once had an issue with the heat sensor, sent it in to be repaired and is fine since then (pretty fast turnaround and friendly customer service).

#17 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 03 February 2020 - 09:31 PM

We also have both the forced air and the Wave 3. Condensation has rarely been an issue, except for our Thanksgiving trip to Benton where it was below 15F for three straight days. Having heat without drawing down the battery is a major benefit, and it's silent.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#18 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 04 February 2020 - 10:28 PM

I looked into PlatCat heaters (just online) about 9 years ago as a second heater when I was considering an ATC truck camper. I didn't like the rear of the camper ATC location for the furnace with no ability to add ducting.

I ended up buying a custom extra insulated for staying in ski area parking lots, Phoenix camper from Coyote RV. But I told Rob the owner about the PlatCat and as a result he may have installed a few PlatCats in some very small campers. So contact Coyote RV.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#19 FishBamboo

FishBamboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 02:31 AM

I looked into PlatCat heaters (just online) about 9 years ago as a second heater when I was considering an ATC truck camper. I didn't like the rear of the camper ATC location for the furnace with no ability to add ducting.

I ended up buying a custom extra insulated for staying in ski area parking lots, Phoenix camper from Coyote RV. But I told Rob the owner about the PlatCat and as a result he may have installed a few PlatCats in some very small campers. So contact Coyote RV.

DanoT,

I've attempted contacting PlatCat several times. Still no returned calls. Will keep trying.

Thank

#20 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 10:15 AM

DanoT,

I've attempted contacting PlatCat several times. Still no returned calls. Will keep trying.

Thank

I've had the same situation in the past.  I sort of get the impression that this may be a one man business.  It seems to go dormant sometimes, like the guy is sick or out of town for a spell or something.

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users