• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MTramble

MTramble

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:44 AM

New to WTW but excited about all the good information here.  I have a 2005 Toyota Tundra 4x4 SR5 Double Cab.  I'm looking for a lightweight pop-up truck camper for 4-season use here in Montana and around the west.  I'm planning to use it for climbing, skiing, and hunting road trips.  Some of these trips will include extensive travel on rough gravel roads, two tracks, and tight USFS roads.  The majority of the time I will be solo or with one other person.  I am currently looking at the ATC Ocelot and FWC Hawk campers but am open to other suggestions.  I will likely buy an outfitted/equipped model not a shell  A few questions for pop-up owners out there:

• Opinions on a 2005 Tundra as a camper truck?
  • What truck modifications do you recommend (air bags, shocks, sway bar, tires, brake upgrades, etc.)?
  • Thoughts on the ATC Ocelot vs FWC Hawk?
  • What camper are you running on your 2005 Tundra?
  • Most of the FWC/ATC optional features like a furnace, solar panels, fridge, etc. are priced very high IMO.  Which optional items are cheaper to install myself?  For example, I have heard that it is easy to install my own 150W solar panel and much cheaper, any other items like this?  Anything I definitely don't want to do myself?
  • What optional accessories do you consider mandatory?
  • Is it worth buying a $700 furnace or can I get away with a Mr.Buddy heater tied into a propane tank?
  • One battery or two?

Thanks!

#2 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:58 PM

How '4-season' do you want to be?   ATC, FWC and really all the pop up truck campers are primarily 3-season campers.   You can use them in the winter (and I do) but if you are planning to spend weeks out in the Montana winter, then they are not the right choice.   In that case a van would be a better option. 

For one or two people who have more of a backpacking mentality than an RV mentality, a Tundra is a great option.   We love our Tacoma/Flatbed combo for two. 

If you are buying new, I personally like the FWC over ATC.  They are both great campers, but FWC has more current designs, materials and fittings than ATC but with less flexibility in customization.    

You will definitely want to upgrade the suspension - start with upgrading the springs to carry the weight (if the camper is on full time) and load range E tires are extra insurance.  

Of the camper options, Solar and extra batteries are the first ones to skip - you can do it better and cheaper yourself.   Anything that requires a major wall or roof penetration, you probably want the factory to do - furnace, hot water heater, roof vents/fans etc.   I would consider the furnace, powered roof vent, thermal pack (or sew your own) mandatory, particularly for 3 or 4 season use.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#3 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:49 PM

Just my personal notes below.

I have been driving Tundra trucks for approx. 17 years now.

* Our 2001 Tundra we beat the heck out of here at FWC

* My 2005 Access cab Tundra 4x4 I had for 5 years

* My 2004 Double cab Tundra 4x4 I have had for the past 2 years or so

<< Opinions on a 2005 Tundra as a camper truck? >>

Great trucks, super reliable. I LOVE them!

Upgrade to a good set of E-Rated tires.

Upgrade the rear suspension (add leaf springs or air bags or both).

Make sure your brakes are in the best possible condition.

On both my Tundras, and the 3 Ford F150's I had before the Tundra, I felt the brakes were always my weak point.

<<  What camper are you running on your 2005 Tundra?  >

I normally prefer the Hawk Shell Model to keep the camper simple and lightweight.

Putitng a fully loaded camper on the truck, add water, propane, gear, dogs, people, etc, the camper weight starts to get a tad heavy for the older Tundra's (just my opinion). That said, it is doable. And I still do it from time to time, but if I were traveling a lot with a heavy camper on the back, I would invest a few more $$ in my truck to beef it up (items listed above).

<< What optional accessories do you consider mandatory? >>

* Forced Air Furnace

* Power Roof Vent Fan

* 1 or 2 good camper batteries

* DIY solar system (if you want to keep the cost down)

Hope this helps.

(PS: We have a good FWC dealer up that way if you need tips & tricks on best practices for cold weather camping. He'll help you no matter what camper you decide to buy. Good peeps up there.)

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#4 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 24 January 2020 - 11:31 PM

Original owner of my 2005 Tundra AC 4x4 TRD. Love the truck and will keep as a 3/4 ton is just too much $$$.   I am on my second Hawk. Had a 2002 and sold and bought a 2013 shell and built it out. Good suggestions above, DYI depends on your skills and abilities. If you have the skills and time you can save a lot of money. 

My travel Blog. 

My shell build out. 

You will enjoy a Hawk on your Tundra.

Edited by billharr, 24 January 2020 - 11:32 PM.

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 25 January 2020 - 01:48 AM

New to WTW but excited about all the good information here.  I have a 2005 Toyota Tundra 4x4 SR5 Double Cab.  I'm looking for a lightweight pop-up truck camper for 4-season use here in Montana and around the west.  I'm planning to use it for climbing, skiing, and hunting road trips.  Some of these trips will include extensive travel on rough gravel roads, two tracks, and tight USFS roads.  The majority of the time I will be solo or with one other person.  I am currently looking at the ATC Ocelot and FWC Hawk campers but am open to other suggestions.  I will likely buy an outfitted/equipped model not a shell  A few questions for pop-up owners out there:

• Opinions on a 2005 Tundra as a camper truck?
  • What truck modifications do you recommend (air bags, shocks, sway bar, tires, brake upgrades, etc.)?
  • Thoughts on the ATC Ocelot vs FWC Hawk?
  • The ATC is less expensive, very well made, but not as ‘fancy’ as a FWC.   ATC does custom work, and they have superb customer focus.  I think a shell, with things mentioned below is what my choice would be.
  • What camper are you running on your 2005 Tundra?  
  • Most of the FWC/ATC optional features like a furnace, solar panels, fridge, etc. are priced very high IMO.  Which optional items are cheaper to install myself?  For example, I have heard that it is easy to install my own 150W solar panel and much cheaper, any other items like this?  Anything I definitely don't want to do myself? Get the furnace, Yakima full length tracks, thermal pack.  Consider a portable freezer/fridge like an Engel instead of a built in.  I believe both mfrs prewire, but ask to get the roof wiring terminated on top if you do your own solar.  160 watts or so, and get a quality controller.  If it’s in your budget, get two batts, 6VDC AGMs in series probably best.  Two roof vents, one of which is powered.
  • What optional accessories do you consider mandatory?  See above, plus jacks.
  • Is it worth buying a $700 furnace or can I get away with a Mr.Buddy heater tied into a propane tank?  Furnace
  • One battery or two? Two

Thanks!

Thoughts in red.  Have had both FWC and ATC campers, and believe ATC is what I will do again.

I am haunted by waters

#6 MTramble

MTramble

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:14 PM

Thanks for all the great feedback!  To follow up:

rando - by four season use I mean November hunting trips of 3-6 days around Montana (Missouri River Breaks, Tobacco Roots, etc), weekend ski trips where I'm camped in a ski area parking lot for 1-2 nights, and ice fishing weekend trips of 1-2 nights.  Eastern Montana can be windy that time of year, how do these pop-ups do in the wind?  A good friend of mine has an ATC Cougar on a newer Tundra, we have made a couple trips to eastern Montana together to hunt antelope and mule deer in November.  We had some cold days (9oF) but were warm and comfortable in the camper.   I really liked how we could just take his camper anywhere and it made the trip a lot more enjoyable.

Stan-Thanks for the advice on truck upgrades, you mentioned that brakes are often a weak point.  Can I install larger or more effective brakes in my Tundra or should I just maintain the OEM brakes?  Safety is definitely a priority for me so the comments about brakes make me a little nervous.

What is in your Hawk Shell model?  Have you installed anything in it?  What is your loaded/wet weight compared to your Tundra's GVWR?

A question on the FWC Hawk - I see the width is listed at 80 inches, this is about 8 inches wider than my Tundra.  Do you notice this extra width when driving?  Does it hamper your visibility?  The ATC Ocelot comes in several different widths and heights based on the truck bed dimensions, does the FWC Hawk come in different sizes for different beds or is it one-size fits all?  I kinda like the idea of a camper that is configured to my bed.

billharr- Enjoyed flipping through your blog and reading about your build out.  What is your loaded/wet weight compared to your Tundra's GVWR?  Did you make any modifications to your Tundra's suspension, brakes, etc?

Wandering Sagebrush-What are the advantages of the portable fridge?  How are you using your Yakima Tracks?

My preliminary conclusions so far after reviewing WTW advice:

• The 2005 Tundra is a good camper truck option, need to watch/limit the weight and upgrade suspension and possibly brakes
  • Get the roof fan, thermal/arctic pack, and furnace
  • Install the solar myself, have the manufacturer install the wiring
  • Get E-rated tires

A few additional questions:

• One of the major differences I see between the FWC Hawk and the ATC Ocelot is the width, the Hawk is 80 inches and the Ocelot is 72 inches.  I think the extra 8 inches would provide some nice extra room inside, the 72 inch option helps me reduce weight and is more aerodynamic.  Is 8-inches a big difference?  What is your preference?  
  • What modifications or sacrifices have you made to reduce weight?  Any recommendations?

Thanks again for all the advice!

#7 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:46 PM

I had a loaded hawk on a 006 access cab with the 4.0l motor for 2 years, so the answer to question is yes, it will work on your Tundra.  Be aware of the rucks short comings(brakes come to mind) and respect them. Up grades would be E range tires, HD shocks(i like Bilsteins) and up graded springs or air bags. Not a fan of air bags as they can leak, some people here love them. I went with super springs to supplement the factory springs. If I had it ti do again, I would install new complete HD spring packs. As mention, these campers are mostly 3 season and will require modifications for long term cold weather camping. I would get the solar option,( min 120 watt solar) and single battery if you get a 3 way fridge, add a second battery with min 200 watt solar if your opt for the 12volt fridge.  These specs are what I would require for my type of camping. Research this option and decide what your own requirement will be.

#8 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:55 PM

Thanks for all the great feedback!  To follow up:

billharr- Enjoyed flipping through your blog and reading about your build out.  What is your loaded/wet weight compared to your Tundra's GVWR?  Did you make any modifications to your Tundra's suspension, brakes, etc?

I did add E-rated tires and Firestone Air Bags. The Tundra brakes are near the same size you will find on a 3/4 ton truck, but you are carrying a lot of weight, I have not had any problems. Took my truck to a scale after my build and camper after build is 1250 pounds. I am sure I add another 300+ pounds when packed for a trip. 

Bill

#9 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 07 February 2020 - 12:35 PM

Keep a eye out for a used FWC Kestrel. Has a lower profile for the 2005 tundra.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#10 Living The Dream

Living The Dream

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationFront Range, Colorado

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:51 AM

In my opinion the 05/06 Tundra double cab is the best truck on the road. I love it soo much after coming from a 2.7L tacoma. Check my links in my signature below for a ton of videos and my website all about my Tundra and old fleet. Its an amazing Combo that many of us are die hards on. But you'll be happy with anything you get. 

I have airbags, would like to upgrade the suspension properly, may do that in a few years. 

I have stock brakes, they a little slow (like slightly) by no means dangerous. I just need to replace the pads soon. i think the extra weight must make them wear just a touch faster. I drive like a grandpa, they've been in need of replacement for a year and are still just fine. 

I'd suggest you start with as little as you can comfortable get away with and build out as you learn. A nice old shell FWC would do you right to get into it, then if you love it, upgrade to a newer camper. 

Check my videos, you'll love them if you are into this type of stuff. 

My youtube channel about my Four Wheel Camper - https://www.youtube.com/c/timmorrissey

All about my camper - https://www.tgmorrissey.com/camper

Item I used in my build- http://bit.ly/TGMorrisseyParts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users