#11 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 21 February 2020 - 03:16 PM

Good advice here.

We're onto our tenth year with 06 Access Cab Tundra/Hawk and love it. As suggested, we've got airbags, sway bar, upgraded shocks and E rated tires. Our single 100ah battery with 120 watt solar is marginal, with a Dometic compressor fridge. We swapped to LED lamps for all fixtures. I recommend a Wave 3 heater in addition to the factory furnace. You can make your own arctic pack if you can use a sewing machine.

The 80" width lets you sleep east/west vs. other models that require a bed pullout, which was why we chose our Hawk. We only use the front 48" mattress.

Pvstoy makes a good point about fitting the truck. Our 08 Hawk sits half a foot above the cab, and requires a wind fairing.

Two negatives are brakes and mileage. Power is excellent and off road ability is decent.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#12 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:09 PM

Stan's input is on the money re: 1st gen Tundra's  combined with a loaded Hawk. I had an 03' Tundra/Hawk for a few years and the only suspension upgrade was an added leaf spring. My biggest concern was stopping - you can really feel the extra weight and I always felt that the brakes were marginal. My latest rig is a '19 Tundra 4x4 DC/ ATC Panther Shell. It's not a pure shell as the name implies because the build includes side dinette, propane cabinet/stove, fantastic fan, 100ah agm battery, driver's side window, AT can holder, rotopax, awning light, 2" taller panels, solar ready, extra usb plugs, plus pre-wiring for my Truckfridge and gas line to add a Propex furnace later, full bench seat under front window. In other words a custom shell. The weight is 988lbs. including the jacks, so around 900lbs without the jacks. Adding the Truckfridge and Propex myself added approximately 50lbs.

Both FWC and ATC make great campers. As Rando points out, FWC offers more modern materials vs ATC. I like FWC's composite lift panels but everything else seems like eye candy to me. I went with ATC because I knew exactly what I wanted and Marty was willing to accommodate me. You might save some $$ doing some things yourself but retro-fitting, running electrical and gas lines can be a pain working in those tight spaces. It all depends on your skill level, time and patience whether you want to take it on. Buyimg a new camper for the first time it made sense for me to have it all done by the factory.

Re: width this may not apply to your '05 Tundra but I really enjoy the 84" width of my Panther. I have more room to stretch out both in the bed as well as the couch below the front window. It also gives more side clearance when backing up to load the camper. The Ocelot is available in 78" as well as 72" width. I was concerned about side visibility going from a Hawk to the Panther but it isn't an issue at all.

One or two batteries and solar really depends on how you use your camper. I'm a real minmalist and use my lights,fan, and furnace very judiciously. I have just one battery and it has always been more than sufficient for my needs. On extended warm weather trips I have a 120 watt portable flat panel solar charger. I generally like camping in the shade in warm climates so I can set up my solar charger in the sun away from my rig.

Whether you choose a shell or fully loaded FWC/ATC you'll have a great camper for your 1st Gen Tundra. Good luck on your decision!!

Edited by Ronin, 21 February 2020 - 06:12 PM.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#13 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 04:45 PM

New to WTW but excited about all the good information here.  I have a 2005 Toyota Tundra 4x4 SR5 Double Cab.  I'm looking for a lightweight pop-up truck camper for 4-season use here in Montana and around the west.  I'm planning to use it for climbing, skiing, and hunting road trips.  Some of these trips will include extensive travel on rough gravel roads, two tracks, and tight USFS roads.  The majority of the time I will be solo or with one other person.  I am currently looking at the ATC Ocelot and FWC Hawk campers but am open to other suggestions.  I will likely buy an outfitted/equipped model not a shell  A few questions for pop-up owners out there:

• Opinions on a 2005 Tundra as a camper truck?
  • What truck modifications do you recommend (air bags, shocks, sway bar, tires, brake upgrades, etc.)?
  • Thoughts on the ATC Ocelot vs FWC Hawk?
  • What camper are you running on your 2005 Tundra?
  • Most of the FWC/ATC optional features like a furnace, solar panels, fridge, etc. are priced very high IMO.  Which optional items are cheaper to install myself?  For example, I have heard that it is easy to install my own 150W solar panel and much cheaper, any other items like this?  Anything I definitely don't want to do myself?
  • What optional accessories do you consider mandatory?
  • Is it worth buying a $700 furnace or can I get away with a Mr.Buddy heater tied into a propane tank?
  • One battery or two?

Thanks!

Howdy

I sent a PM.

#14 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 24 February 2020 - 09:13 PM

Keep a eye out for a used FWC Kestrel. Has a lower profile for the 2005 tundra.

Only applicable to AC models not DC.. DC has higher bed walls :)
Was, 1988 Toyota custom cab 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1995 Toyota T-100 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1993 Toyota T-100 longbed 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
Then, 2002 Toyota Tundra AC 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
NOW, 2005 TOYOTA TUNDRA DOUBLE CAB 4x4 WITH 2001 FWC HAWK EXT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users