16 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,333 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 25 January 2020 - 04:16 AM

We left home during a short break between winter storms and headed to the southern deserts. We returned 25 days later. Our first stop and adventures were in the Mojave National Preserve, a very special place. This part of our story is now posted to our blog and can be found here -

Mojave National Preserve - December 2019

We hope you enjoy tagging along with us. Future installments will be posted as they are completed.

Here we go! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 Occidental

Occidental

• Members
  • 366 posts
  • LocationHome is where you park it

Posted 25 January 2020 - 04:35 PM

I knew as soon as I saw the list of numbers that you were headed to Benton.  What a great place to watch for Santa!  Great views in the Mojave as well, did you see any more moose sign?  Thanks for the report, looking forward to finding out where else you ended up on your 25 days of travels.

2020 Ford Ranger, 2012 Eagle

http://www.occidentalist.org

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 25 January 2020 - 05:26 PM

Wonderful TR, Mr. 3Pin.   After reading about the Mojave Moose, I’m thinking it may be closely related to the Oregon Slow Elk.  As in the Mojave, they’re more commonly seen in their camouflage configuration.

Thanks for letting us tag along!

I am haunted by waters

#4 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:39 PM

Never been to allot of that area before especially in the winter, so I enjoyed that TR allot  Ski-winter in the southern  desert. Ya know a friend of mine once ran into a real moose out in central Nevada (really :ph34r: )-wonder if it is related to the one you tracked?  Hey Steve we got allot of them there  high desert  "Slow Elk" around here too; they like to mark  their territory (especially campgrounds) with some type of pies !  I understand they sometimes can be found in near association with that smaller variant, the  "Mountain Maggot." 

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 25 January 2020 - 08:14 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,291 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:20 PM

Thanks Ski.

Great first part of the trip.

Though it looked mighty cold,

it made for great pictures.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 Moss Grimmick

Moss Grimmick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 04:59 PM

We met at the Hickison campground east of Austin, NV, two Sept. ago.  I was at Palen - McCoy Wilderness camping this past Christmas, so was only a 3-4 hours south of you.  Its a big world out there.  Great photos.

#7 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 26 January 2020 - 05:12 PM

On my short list of favorite areas, it’s truly a land of extremes and different looks. Thanks for taking us along.

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 26 January 2020 - 05:48 PM

We met at the Hickison campground east of Austin, NV, two Sept. ago.  I was at Palen - McCoy Wilderness camping this past Christmas, so was only a 3-4 hours south of you.  Its a big world out there.  Great photos.

But a smaller world than we think.  I believe I met you at DVNP(?) or Shoshone a year or two back.

I am haunted by waters

#9 Moss Grimmick

Moss Grimmick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 07:11 PM

Wandering Sagebrush: Yes, it was at Shoshone, a year ago.

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,333 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 30 January 2020 - 01:04 AM

I knew as soon as I saw the list of numbers that you were headed to Benton.  What a great place to watch for Santa!  Great views in the Mojave as well, did you see any more moose sign?  Thanks for the report, looking forward to finding out where else you ended up on your 25 days of travels.

Occidental, thanks for for kind comments! Yes, we found a bit more Mojave Moose sign but no sightings. We did come upon two cows. We were told that when in bovine camouflage, Mojave Moose always wear a turtleneck sweater as the waddle is difficult to hide. The cows we saw were wearing sport jackets.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users