• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:41 PM

Finally going to Death Valley in the winter. Going to drive down Feb 3rd and spend two to three nights. I plan on driving Titus Canyon, and seeing the main tourist spots, Visitors Center,  Zabriskies Point, Artist Drive, and Dantes View if it opens. Is it worth the trip to see the mines or Charcoal Kilns?  What else should I put on the list?

Only other item on my list is Dinner at the Inn. We have had dinner at all the major National Parks and have enjoyed it even if a little expensive. 

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:31 PM

following this... hoping to hit Death Valley in late April...

#3 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 26 January 2020 - 01:52 AM

Some ideas... 4WD into Cottonwood Canyon for fossils and petroglyphs -- access is via sand track west out of Stovepipe Wells. Directly south of Stovepipe is Mosaic Canyon -- really fun and interesting walk up into the canyon. At Furnace Creek you can pay $5 to use the pool and showers. Heading south, take the west side road out into the bottom of the badwater basin and use one the pullouts to park and contemplate the sunset, or sunrise with an appropriate beverage. Artist's drive is interesting.

Several years of Death Valley photos here (every photo has a geolocation on the accompanying map you can click to make bigger): https://www.flickr.c...157626377094340

We are headed there on June 18. Should get into the valley on the evening of the 19th. Will probably boondock somewhere after getting gas & any remaining groceries in either Beaty or Pahrump. Maybe we will see you there. We will spend at least 4 days, and maybe double that depending on how we feel.

Edited by AWG_Pics, 28 January 2020 - 01:37 PM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#4 WillTheThri11

WillTheThri11

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 26 January 2020 - 02:08 AM

Checkout the racetrack! 20 miles of corrugated roads though.

I’m thinking of going out next weekend maybe to saline valley hot springs. 60 miles off road to get there though.

#5 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 26 January 2020 - 03:41 AM

Yes. Lots of gravel roads but very very worth it.

The mines were absolutely amazing. The amount of artifacts that are preserved really adds a human element to the abandoned buildings. I swung through Death Valley on a spur of the moment trip and have wanted to go back even since.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#6 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 26 January 2020 - 04:54 PM

Ubehebe Crater and Eureka Dunes in the north. If down by Badwater consider spending a night up near Striped Butte. We’ll be out there in mid-March. Have fun!

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 26 January 2020 - 05:21 PM

Finally going to Death Valley in the winter. Going to drive down Feb 3rd and spend two to three nights. I plan on driving Titus Canyon, and seeing the main tourist spots, Visitors Center,  Zabriskies Point, Artist Drive, and Dantes View if it opens. Is it worth the trip to see the mines or Charcoal Kilns?  What else should I put on the list?

Only other item on my list is Dinner at the Inn. We have had dinner at all the major National Parks and have enjoyed it even if a little expensive. 

Bill, since this will be your first winter trip I think it best to stick to the big ticket items you mention and not rush it.

Where will you be staying? Furnace Creek campground (get reservations) puts you within walking distance of the visitor's center and the visitor developments at Furnace Creek, cafe, saloon, etc. The big Sunset Campground across the road is also within a walk and you can always find a spot. Texas Creek has more of a campground feel than Sunset, but not really pleasant walking distance. The Inn and the special dinner are within walking distance of any of these for Julie and me.

Recommendations - make Titus Canyon your entry into the Park and end the day at your campsite. You can find dispersed sites out near the beginning of Titus Canyon Road. Zabriskies is a sunrise spot. You'll join the hordes of photographers so make it fun. Move on to Dantes while the sun is still in the east. Do Artist Drive late afternoon - but before the sun sets over the Panamints - for the best light and colors. Consider the short walks up Natural Bridge Canyon and Golden Canyon for the in between time. You must visit Mosiac Canyon for beautiful water polished rock - in the first set of narrows. The Mesquite Sand Dunes are nearby and make a great early morning stop for the light and before the crowds.

If you start adding the kilns and mines and Racetrack and Ubehebe Crater, you are adding too much and will just be sitting on your butt driving. Let a relaxing trip to Death Valley set the hook and you'll return again and again.

Take advantage of the Visitors Center. They have hand outs on the nearby walks such as Golden and Natural Bridge.

Remember to walk away from camp and neighbors and such in the night to experience the vast desert sky and quiet. If you're thinking about Badwater and the lowest point in the Western Hemisphere, make this your night experience. Walk out on the salt flat and take in the grandeur.

If you'd like to disperse camp near Furnace Creek, Echo Canyon Road and Hole in the Wall Road offer the closest options.

Have a great trip and Julie and I are anxiously awaiting one of your wonderful trip reports! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#8 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 26 January 2020 - 06:59 PM

In the visitor center, ask for a back country roads map. Or print your own here.

https://www.nps.gov/...ountryroads.htm

Current alerts & weather conditions.   https://www.nps.gov/.../conditions.htm

Have a great time.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,574 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 January 2020 - 01:27 AM

Paul, last year I was told the Park no longer offers the BC road map, as the sponsor (Jeep?) no longer funded them.  Save your old copies.

I am haunted by waters

#10 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 27 January 2020 - 06:57 AM

What Monte said.

Titus is fun, and remember to stop for Leadfield on the way.

An alternate to Mesquite Dunes access off 190 is to come from the (original) Stove Pipe Well dune access of Scotty's Castle Rd.

Water is available in Furnace Creek and Stove Pipe Wells.  Best gas prices were in Panamint Springs.  Don't try to buy propane in the park.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users