Photo

Dc-Dc chrg control for solar and alternator management of Lithim batt.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#11 ricardos

ricardos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 February 2020 - 05:10 PM

Very useful information. Thank you for your answers. By the way I found article about How to Get the Cheapest Solar Panels? | Websolarguide.

Edited by ricardos, 13 February 2020 - 06:33 AM.

#12 lostcreek

lostcreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 10:50 PM

I can (tentatively) recommend the Renogy Onboard DC-DC charger.  I've just installed the 20-amp version.  I already have a good solar system, all I needed was a dependable DC charger for those infrequent times when solar is not enough.  There aren't many reasonably priced automotive DC chargers w/o solar CCs, but this seems to be one.  I'm assuming that Renogy uses the same DC charger tech inside the ones that also have solar CCs.

I say tentatively since

a. There were problems getting it to consistently operate correctly, eventually they resolved

b. Renogy has not replied to my Help requests for installation questions

c. my camper is off the truck at the moment, so I've only been able to do engine-idle tests

However, it does now correctly charge the house battery (120 AH Lifeline AGM) at various SOCs from 70 to 100% (bulk, acceptance, float).  I got the temp sensor too.  The ignition sensor wire (D+) is def. required but does not have to come from the engine if you already have some sort of relay/voltage switch on your positive coming from the alternator/battery; since I do, I just tapped off my positive wire input just before the charger's input terminal.

Edited by lostcreek, 12 February 2020 - 10:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users