Photo
- - - - -

Mount “ditch spots” on tow hooks? / legality / clamps?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:11 PM

Mount “ditch spots” on tow hooks?  / legality / clamps? 

Hi all

For times when driving country roads with no one around, it might be nice to have some “ditch” spots to throw more light ahead to help spot deer. 

I’d put them on an up fitter switch (I have the Ford ones)

There is no obvious place to hide them behind the 2020 F350 grill, so how about clamps on the front tow hooks? 

I’ll have to measure to see if these fit - but they look pretty perfect (if they fit) 

any other recommendations? 

They will be inexpensive LED lights (about $35-60/pair) so I don’t mind if they get munched or stolen. 

and…. for a second I thought about using yellow lights as these “ditch spots” so it is a constant reminder for me to turn them off if a car approaches… is that a good or a bad idea? 

Looking at these 2 lights as inexpensive and decent options: 
any preference between the two options below?

I don’t want to get fancy and do any fancy wiring / integration. Just on an up fitter switch or two. :-)

https://www.amazon.c...uct/B07H3VBF5Z     (I would have to use 2 x 25 watt up fitter switches, I believe as they are 25 watts each)

or the SPOT version of these (40 watt total, for the pair, so I could put on up fitter #5 or #6, together) 

also - with them in place (but off) any chance any highway patrol in any state (perhaps fussy California?) would be upset with them just being there? (but turned off) Serious question.

thanks!

#2 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:48 PM

It is not illegal just to have lights on your vehicle. Having them on while driving can be a different thing.

On my old truck the head lights were next to worthless and I had a small light bar attached to my high beam circuit. That way when I turned my high beams on the light bar would turn on also. I had a switch that would keep the light bar off if needed. Really easy wiring.

My thinking was if I am in an area with lots of deer and where I am driving fast enough for them to be a problem then it is rural enough nobody would care. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#3 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:52 PM

It is not illegal just to have lights on your vehicle. Having them on while driving can be a different thing.

On my old truck the head lights were next to worthless and I had a small light bar attached to my high beam circuit. That way when I turned my high beams on the light bar would turn on also. I had a switch that would keep the light bar off if needed. Really easy wiring.

My thinking was if I am in an area with lots of deer and where I am driving fast enough for them to be a problem then it is rural enough nobody would care.

Good thoughts. Thanks.

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:26 PM

Consider how you use them   

CHP May be cracking down.

I am haunted by waters

#5 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 10:16 PM

Don't know what year your truck is but my 2012 f250 has a plastic plug in the unused fog/driving light cutout on the front bumper. Do you have the same or is it already used? 

#6 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 10:51 PM

Don't know what year your truck is but my 2012 f250 has a plastic plug in the unused fog/driving light cutout on the front bumper. Do you have the same or is it already used? 

yeah i saw that  - our 2020 does seem to have a "plastic plug in the unused fog/driving light cutout on the front bumper" but i could not figure out how to remove it... also i could not figure out how to mount the "flood/spots" in there and get aimed at the ditches as much as I want.... so i figure the tow hooks with clamps will be easier. Also I dont want to go drilling holes into the bumper because i am a chicken. and a novice. ;-)

for future mods those areas may be good, though... thanks. :-)

#7 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:24 PM

You didn’t mention which Ford truck you have and it sounds like you want to keep the expense down but I have these Baja Designs on my Super Duty and they are truly amazing.

They fit in the grill with the kit specific to the SD  and I believe there are none better.

https://www.bajadesi...-Light-Bars.asp

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#8 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 28 January 2020 - 02:22 AM

Light bar  :angry:

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#9 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 28 January 2020 - 02:51 PM

SDHQ sells a Baja Designs Fog light pocket kit. (available up to current Super duty's)

I have one for my F150 with the wide cornering lights and they are really impressive, light up all of my periferal vision for about 75yds and both ditches.

The kit also included a wiring adapter to make them plug and play to the factory fog light switch.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#10 kimosawboy

kimosawboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:14 AM

You might want to invest in a illuminated switch for a reminder that you have them on .. On all my Aux eq. I have ''dummy'' lights and they have saved the battery more than once. You can even go one step further and wire it so that if the light goes out your switch will not illuminate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users