Photo
- - - - -

Need Tire help ... GY UT pic, E-rated, ok 4 all ages ... Yoko Geo X-AT vs Gy Wr UT-AT vs ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:10 PM

My use ... I figure 50/50 USA highway travel vs 4x4 off road, medium duty. Ford 150 long bed, Grandby Shell
Bob Wohlers “torture tested” Geo M/T G003 tires. Says it’s his favorite tire, never before has he recommended any tire, & heartily recommends the entire Yoko Geo lineup. The X-AT seems to offer the best dual use for me. My son suggested Goodyear Wrangler Ultra Terrain AT tires which are exclusive to America’s tire. Any personal experience to offer, pros or cons, with either of these tires?
Can anyone give me a recommendation for an alternative, similar style/use tire? Leaving for Death Valley Feb. 10 & want to get a set ASAP. Thanks ahead for any help!

Edited by Stokeme, 24 February 2020 - 06:59 PM.

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 30 January 2020 - 03:00 AM

Here’s a great tire review

I am haunted by waters

#3 Soundsgood

Soundsgood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:39 PM

I went with the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. It's another option in a hybrid AT/mud tire like the X-AT but it is winter rated and had good reviews for snow use which is important to me. Another option if you don't care about the winter rating is the Nitto Ridge Grappler. The Falken's are a good bit cheaper than the more known brands. I only have 1000 miles but so far they are as good as any AT tire I have had in the snow, dirt roads, and the two tracks they have been on. They are quiet on the highway. My use will be about 80% paved road and the rest a mix between dirt, two track, and mild trails. The amount of paved roads and snow is the reason I went with a hybrid and not a true mud tire, If I didn't have to deal with snow and was going to be doing 50% off road I would have gone with a mud tire, Those Geolander M'T G003's look very nice.

Edited by Soundsgood, 31 January 2020 - 12:49 AM.

#4 justjames

justjames

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:51 PM

My first post so take this for a grain of salt.....

I was a tire dealer for over 40 years and have sold both brands.The quick answer which won't please the Insta-crowd is Yokohama.  The x-AT is too new to have any meaningful feedback but my confidence in the brand when compared to Goodyear is 10 to 1. I'm planning to install a set of the x-AT's on my truck in the next few weeks.

The Expedition Portal review linked above was a great article but its over 5 years old and tire technology has made many major improvements since then. Many of the tires which are popular today didn't exist 5 years ago and vice versa. I wish they would do a new review using the same parameters.

2016 Tacoma Access Cab OR

FWC Fleet

#5 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 22 February 2020 - 05:41 PM

A wrap up to my purchase ... After agonizing, I took a leap with the GY Wrangler Ultra Terrain. The tread is between the Yoko Geo AT & the Geo X-AT. It looks to me that GY uses the same pattern for most all their AT tires, simply dialing up or down the aggressiveness of the tread. So, in a similar comparison the GY Wr UT tread lies between their AT styles & the more aggressive DuraTrac. I wanted off road/pavement 50/50, if possible.
This is my first experience with E rated tires, only C ever before. Driving home after install they felt like lead boots. It took a little more inertia to get going as well. But as I took them for a 2nd drive, I really liked the feeling of increased stability, more rubber on the road, & the mental security of 10ply. Reminded me of backpacking, a soft trail shoe vs a sturdy trail boot.
The tires began to feel as my new normal. My son has really liked his DuraTrac tires, so hoping that translates. Some people love GY, some hate, so I will be happy with in between. Just got back from DVNP & enjoyed having the new tires. My gas mileage was reduced ~1.5 to 2.0 mpg. Road noise was fine so far, hope it does not increase with age. Lastly, the tires are rock magnets, is this typical? After my first rock pinging drive on pavement after coming off the trail, I now stop & de-rock with a screwdriver to protect my truck.

Edited by Stokeme, 22 February 2020 - 08:23 PM.

#6 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 24 February 2020 - 07:05 PM

Thought I’d show a pic for interest or edification. Will have to see how I like them with use. Tap to enlarge.
Happy trails ...

Attached Thumbnails

• EC631D52-BBE0-45BE-AB76-13DAAF431159.jpeg

Edited by Stokeme, 24 February 2020 - 07:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users