#11 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 04 February 2020 - 04:38 PM

Great report and wonderful photos.  

I used to go out there regularly back in the mid to late '90's in my Toyota with popup camper to photograph bighorn sheep in the summer at Little White Tank. I never saw border patrol, good samaritans or anyone else.  Of course I was the only one dumb enough to go out there in July and August.  It is a beautiful place, though.  Thanks for posting.

Cliff

Cliff, happy to bring back memories and thanks for sharing yours! These water sources become critical during the dry times.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#12 dr.tucson

dr.tucson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 05 February 2020 - 02:51 PM

Ski- I'm glad you and the Lady got to experience KOFA.  You guys go there once and see more petroglyphs on your first time than I've seen in my many visits.  I guess my eyes are to 'quick'.  You note the saguaro, ocotilla, and cholla, but didn't mention the extensive creosote flats. They bore a lot of people, and that may keep some folks away. I thought KOFA had a very nice, simple way of marking the roads for navigating, I realize it only works when the number of roads are limited. The staff there does a remarkable job, and visiting the several cabins can be enlightening, the Wilbank's one especially. I hope to get back there soon. I always thought Quartzsite was a fun place with all the characters and throwbacks there. 

#13 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 05 February 2020 - 04:30 PM

Ski- I'm glad you and the Lady got to experience KOFA.  You guys go there once and see more petroglyphs on your first time than I've seen in my many visits.  I guess my eyes are to 'quick'.  You note the saguaro, ocotilla, and cholla, but didn't mention the extensive creosote flats. They bore a lot of people, and that may keep some folks away. I thought KOFA had a very nice, simple way of marking the roads for navigating, I realize it only works when the number of roads are limited. The staff there does a remarkable job, and visiting the several cabins can be enlightening, the Wilbank's one especially. I hope to get back there soon. I always thought Quartzsite was a fun place with all the characters and throwbacks there. 

Hey Doc, thanks for the nice comment. Sorry about the lack of comment on creosote, but rest assured we are creosote fans. Everybody talks about the bristlecone as the oldest living things but the creosote has bristlecone age numbers more than doubled -

King Clone Creosote - Mojave Desert

We know, with our two trips to Kofa, we have only scratched the surface. Thanks for the tips.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users