Question for current owners

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 11:47 PM

Anyone here own an Alaskan with the factory installed roof racks?  If so, can you tell me how high above the roof they are?

(I'm got about 7/8s of the money I need to buy a new one saved.  It's getting to the point I can practically taste it.  As part of my plotting/planning/daydreaming, I'm trying to figure out if they are high enough that I could mount solar panels and clear an air conditioner - 8" to 9".  And yeah, I know I could call the factory and ask them, but I don't want to bother them when I am still months away from ordering.)

Thanks.

Edited to add:  I just did a Google search on IMAGES of Alaskan Campers.  I only found one or two with the roof rack out of probably a couple of hundred I looked at.  Couldn't tell from the pictures how high they were.

Edited by Optimistic Paranoid, 31 January 2020 - 11:59 PM.

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#2 popRoid

popRoid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 01 February 2020 - 03:40 AM

I've included a picture of my 2018 10 ft Alaskan cabover while at the factory as I picked it up....with a factory installed Polar Cub Mach 8 AC and roof racks.  The AC shroud sits about 1-2 inches ABOVE the roof rack at the rear of the camper rendering the racks almost useless in my opinion.  We live in South Carolina so there's no way to go without AC but you may have other needs and if you don't need AC maybe a second Maxx Fan would work and a canoe or boat would clear that but be a pain to take on/off.  My two factory Zamp 160 watt solar panels are mounted over the front cabover under the roof rack and I used 2 Lifeline batteries for power storage.  Bryan Wheat is probably familiar with my setup under my name of Lloyd Anderson.  I highly recommend a Plat Cat heater from: http://www.ventedcatheater.com/heaters and Bryan can install them.  I ordered both the suburban forced air heat and the PlatCat but primarily use the PlatCat as it consumes very little propane and power.   We changed the step dimensions around the dinette seats to accommodate  both larger batteries for the solar setup and a larger fresh water tank along with a 30# propane tank.   The cabinet  and water tank facings were all upgraded to 3/4 inch plywood for future items to be attached.   If you get the factory AC I'd opt for a thermostat to control it otherwise it's just is an on/off knob and the unit blows constantly.  Remember this...the PlatCat vents to the passenger side of the camper and must be turned off before lowering the unit or it will continue to run and burn up the clam shell that lowers down in front of the vent.

I researched Alaskans extensively and am sitting on a ton on information ....happy to share it with you.  

Cheers....Lloyd     

2018 10' Alaskan Cabover/2017 Ford  F350 Dually Diesel

#3 popRoid

popRoid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 01 February 2020 - 03:53 AM

This will make for interesting reading from an Alaskan owner in Colorado....he documents the entire build for the most part:

I've read tons of data at many sites about outfitting the Alaskan but one in particular is rich with information...that of Carlyle's Alaskan Camper from Colorado ....see site here:  

Enjoy

#4 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 11:37 AM

Lloyd, thank you very much.  From looking at your picture, I'm thinking if I can find panels of the right dimensions - long and skinny, I could run them on either side of the A/C.  It doesn't look like the A/C is enough taller that it would shade the panels too badly.  A/C is a necessity for me.  As a military history buff, I plan to spend a fair amount of time in the south visiting Civil War, uh, excuse me, I mean War of Northern Aggression battlefields.

I'm delighted to hear that they are familiar with the PlatCat.  That would certainly be my choice over a Wave.

Any idea if they are willing to build it a tiny bit bigger?  I'm 6'7", and while I could live with their stock height, I was thinking if I could get them to build each half 2 or 3 inches higher than standard, we could increase the inner height.  I figure they could put spacers under the hydraulic cylinders, maybe.

Wow, that other guys build thread - 72 pages.  Thanks for that, but it's gonna take a while to work my way through that.

How did you attach that box to the back of your truck?  Can't just be plugged into the trailer hitch receiver.

Thanks again.

Regards

John

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 01 February 2020 - 03:11 PM

John, Lloyd.  Looking at the photos, the rack towers appear to be the old aluminum Quik and EZ type.  You should be able to buy or make extensions that raise the bars a couple of inches above the towers.  That might fix the clearance issue with the A/C.  

I used them before we bought Yakima racks.   Used 2x4s for bars.

For solar panels, you might consider using VHB tape.   AM Solar has some good video on doing that.

I am haunted by waters

#6 popRoid

popRoid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 04 February 2020 - 06:08 AM

John:

Yes Alaskan can "stretch the sidewalls" or drop the floor to increase the ceiling height about another 3-4 inches from what I remember for an upcharge.  The stock Alaskan ceiling is 6 ft 3 1/4 inches if I remember.

Here's the text of an email exchange I had with Bryan on ceiling height:

7)  Is extending the camper height by 3 inches an urban legend ?  I've read about this somewhere but can't remember the article.  Anyway...I'm 6ft...one of the son's is 6' 1".... If you can great...if not we will make do. We have before but it’s an extra $1500 for the custom roof skin and head scratching. We can also “ drop the floor” 2 inches. We just cut the 19” high vertical wall inside the truck bed at 21” which will give you 6’ 5 1/4” and a little more storage in the floor cabinets since the cabinets grow 2” also. This is an extra $475.00. This would then take away the need of the insulated floor to clear the Ford’s tall cab. 

I'll post my efforts at installing a back porch later....my 2017 F350 has a 3 inch hitch so I had a carryall custom built and then bought a Weather Guard chest truck box to mount on the carryall.  Reinforced the top of the box for the last step into the camper.  

All the best...Lloyd

#7 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 01:44 PM

Lloyd, thank you very, very much!

I finally finished that Expedition Portal thread you recommended.  Very interesting.

I don't want to drive you crazy with constant questions, but I do have one or two last ones to ask you.  Bryan doesn't have a problem installing stuff provided by the customers themselves?

For instance, I hear it sometimes takes the Plat Cat guy a while to make a new run of heaters.  I can order one myself, now, and ship it to Alaskan when I order, and that way there won't be any delays waiting on a new one when they are building my camper?

Finally, does Alaskan do anything special with the bottoms of their campers?  I saw a YouTube video on the way Capri Campers builds their wooden campers down in TX.  They spray a coat of Rhino Liner or something similar on the bottom of their campers.  I kind of like that, and think it will last a lot longer than just paint. 

Edited by Optimistic Paranoid, 04 February 2020 - 01:48 PM.

Regards

John

#8 popRoid

popRoid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 07 February 2020 - 06:50 PM

Lloyd, thank you very, very much!

I finally finished that Expedition Portal thread you recommended.  Very interesting.

I don't want to drive you crazy with constant questions, but I do have one or two last ones to ask you.  Bryan doesn't have a problem installing stuff provided by the customers themselves?

For instance, I hear it sometimes takes the Plat Cat guy a while to make a new run of heaters.  I can order one myself, now, and ship it to Alaskan when I order, and that way there won't be any delays waiting on a new one when they are building my camper?

Finally, does Alaskan do anything special with the bottoms of their campers?  I saw a YouTube video on the way Capri Campers builds their wooden campers down in TX.  They spray a coat of Rhino Liner or something similar on the bottom of their campers.  I kind of like that, and think it will last a lot longer than just paint. 

Bryan is OK with installing things you send as long as its RV approved and is common sense oriented.... or will not place any occupants of the RV at harm.....PlatCats are RV industry approved to my knowledge and Arnie Lind at http://www.ventedcatheater.com would be happy to help you out.  I probably saved a bit of money with Bryan ordering it though and Bryan knows Arnie so getting one shouldn't be an issue given some lead time.  The only items I ordered and Bryan installed were:

1) Additional combo USB/12 v charger on the outside of the camper under the wing (from Amazon)

2) cell phone booster/antenna  from Wilson Amplifers/WeBoost (www.weboost.com)

3)  WiFi booster/antenna  from Radio Labs (https://www.radiolabs.com)

4) Map/Chart lights from  www.hellamarine.com but ordered from Amazon

5) Lifeline Batteries shipped directly from dealer at (www.impactbattery.com)

Alaskan uses a waterproof coating on the bottom of their campers....its durable enough in my opinion + I ordered the bottom insulated

I'm happy to help you in any way I can....don't hesitate to ask.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users