25 replies to this topic

#11 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 09 February 2020 - 02:11 AM

I have this friend, yeah..a friend, that drove 150 miles in Canada with the roof up.  He reports no damage..

Are we friends?  Don't believe we've met?   :blink:  :ph34r:

#12 outdoornate65

outdoornate65

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 02:17 AM

Reading the replies makes me feel better about my bonehead move this week. 

We had the aft end of the top up on our Granby at home doing a couple things in the camper.

My GF put the top down and latched the two latches on the rear of the top but forgot about the four up front. 

I got to work (5 short miles) and noticed the the front had popped-up. After cleaning up the poop in my britches, a quick inspection showed not damage. 

Lesson learned.... I will ALWAYS do a pre-flight walkaround in the future. 

#13 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 09 February 2020 - 06:06 AM

Last thing to do before driving off is to see if I can still count to 6 while looking up. :P

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#14 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 09 February 2020 - 01:35 PM

after something like this happened to me , I bought a bright pink dogleash to snap on the front drivers side latch and hang over my windshield.

I need obvious visual clues..............and not to be distracted

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#15 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 09 February 2020 - 04:52 PM

Perhaps some would consider it overkill but I'm still doing this.....  Hitch clips and pill bottle with pre-departure checklist

I pull the hitch clips as I unlatch to raise the roof, put the clips in the pill bottle and leave it on the driver's seat.  At departure, the pill bottle on the seat reminds me to both put the clips back on and read the pre-departure checklist.

Since that post I've added another item to the checklist-- "Which batteries need charging?"  That's my reminder to think through which small batteries I need to charge while driving today-- phones, cameras, Inreach, GPS, tac-light, radios, headlamps, power banks, etc.

Edited by Old Crow, 09 February 2020 - 08:52 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#16 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 09 February 2020 - 05:29 PM

From our Christmas Trip to DV:

We had camped the night before at 4,000' and woke up to half a foot of snow.  We were headed over South Pass, 7593' with only a faint set of tracks from one vehicle to follow.   For the first time in my life, I chained up in four wheel drive.

We drove slowly, sometimes getting sucked into a rut, but always moving forward, and suddenly there was the junction with Hunter Mountain.  I got out to take a look around, and realized we had the top deployed the whole time.  I'm glad I didn't meet any other travelers coming the other way!  How embarrassing.

i-GfC5Qg5-X2.jpg

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#17 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 09 February 2020 - 05:37 PM

Distraction is the key. Last time I missed a latch was when I put the top down while it was raining. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#18 OutToLunch

OutToLunch

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 05:43 PM

Okay, i take the stupid award here.  Last summer, the day before i left for a camping trip to New Mexico, I popped the top, cleaned the inside, and stocked up the camper.  Next morning, i get up at five, make coffee, load the dog and take off down interstate 40.  I stop at Two Guns to walk the dog and check out the ruins as i do every trip east on 40.  After spending twenty minutes walking around, i start back to the truck and only then did i notice that the camper was still up.  I drove over forty miles at 65 mph or so with my ATC Ocelot camper up.  As far as i can tell, there was no damage and i have used it monthly since then.

Do i get the stupid award?  

#19 Living The Dream

Living The Dream

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationFront Range, Colorado

Posted 09 February 2020 - 06:10 PM

I have also driven a few hundred feet with the top up to move sites or parking spot. No issues here. 

My youtube channel about my Four Wheel Camper - https://www.youtube.com/c/timmorrissey

All about my camper - https://www.tgmorrissey.com/camper

Item I used in my build- http://bit.ly/TGMorrisseyParts

#20 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 09 February 2020 - 06:18 PM

<snip>

Do i get the stupid award?  

Nope, not at all.   

BTW, that confirms the ATC “Built to Survive” motto.

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users