• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 BobD

BobD

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationFallon, NV

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:02 PM

Hi, I'm a former FWC owner (Eagle on a Tacoma DCLB).  I switched over to a RTT/trailer combo which has it's place but I'm looking at begging forgiveness and crawling back to FWC in a Hawk.  My concern is how well a Tundra handles the weight, since it's technically a 1/2 ton truck.  I really don't want to get a Tundra and end up having to do tons of suspension upgrades.  If that's the case I'd rather cry once and go straight to a 3/4 or 1 ton chariot.  I'm probably answering my own question but figured it would be better to hear from real life experience.  Thanks in advance!

2010 Tacoma DCLB   2012 FWC Eagle

2017 F350 4x4 -  Super Doody Flushed

2019 DCLB Tundra - 2012 FWC Granby

#2 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:26 PM

YMMV, but I have a new Hawk on a 2019 Tundra DC, with E rated tires. When it was mounted here in Portland I forgot my air compressor and did not fill the firestone ride-rite air bags beyond the 10 lbs they already had. I expected handling difficulties during the 20 mile cross-town rush hour drive home (in the rain after dark). Much to my surprise, I barely noticed any difference in handling of the Tundra. Due to a clog on the I-5 I exited and drove right through the downtown and eventually through several miles of residential streets with no handling issues. My tentative suggestion is you will be happy with the combo, but that is for you to decide.

Since being installed I have taken the combo out and done some 4WD roads and such with the camper loaded. We are about to go on a 3+ week outing to death valley, baja, arizona and new mexico. I have no worries at all.

We have no water heater and no toilet, so that saves some weight. Otherwise it is a fully kitted out front-dinette style.

Our rig:

Attached Thumbnails

• TundraandHawk.jpg

Edited by AWG_Pics, 12 February 2020 - 04:30 PM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#3 BobD

BobD

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationFallon, NV

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:36 PM

Thanks for the input, appreciated.  That's a great looking setup, safe travels and enjoy!

#4 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 12 February 2020 - 06:04 PM

I had a 2007 Hawk on a '15 Tundra DC 4x4 with RideRite bags and never felt the need to beef up the suspension. Fully loaded my Tundra/Hawk weighed in at 7920 lbs with me in it. Slightly overweight but handling was never a problem. Stopping distance was a bigger concern so I always had to be mindful to brake sooner and harder than usual.

My current setup is a '19 Tundra DC 4x4 and ATC Panther Shell with side dinette, corner stove, and battery. No airbags, stock suspension and again no issues with weight or handling. The shell weighs just under 900 lbs and I doubt if I have more than 200 lbs of gear and groceries in it plus my 200 lbs (ok a tad bit more). If you want to stick with a Tundra and are concerned about weight consider a FWC or ATC shell model. 

Good luck with your decision!!

Edited by Ronin, 12 February 2020 - 06:19 PM.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 12 February 2020 - 06:08 PM

You will get votes both ways.... some folks have FWC/ATC Campers on Tacoma's and don't mind.  Others tried that and went 3/4 or 1 ton.  

#6 BobD

BobD

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationFallon, NV

Posted 12 February 2020 - 06:41 PM

Great input, appreciated!

#7 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,603 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 12 February 2020 - 06:49 PM

As an owner of a 2014 front dinette Hawk on a 2010 Tundra DC with Ride Rite air bags, Helwig rear sway bar, and E series tires, I can say the combo has worked well for us.

However, in looking for a replacement truck, I am considering only 3/4 and 1 ton pickups to gain some capacity and safety margin. Handling has been fine but it is better to be on the excess capacity side rather than the too little capacity side for both safety and wear & tear.

Going bigger will likely be cheaper before rather than after the purchase.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#8 esimmers

esimmers

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:02 PM

BobD,

There's no one-way answer when choosing between a 1/2T or 3/4T (or larger) for a Hawk. So much of the answer lies with other questions involving how much weight you want to carry and how comfortable you feel with a truck loaded near the GVWR. I carry lots of stuff so when I had my Hawk on my 1/2T I had to worry about whether I was overloaded. With my 3/4T that's never a problem, even with a full water tank.

Neither choice is wrong. Some folks take pride in traveling light; others want to bring everything but the kitchen sink (and maybe that, too)! 

#9 BobD

BobD

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationFallon, NV

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:10 PM

The Eagle I had was pretty much loaded so the Tacoma was maxed out for sure making it a handful.  I did a lot of upgrades to the Tacoma but it's still a 1/2 midsize truck.  That experience is what's making me lean more towards the 3/4 ton ride out of the gates, but it's good to hear actual experiences.   Again, thanks for the input.

Edited by BobD, 12 February 2020 - 09:05 PM.

#10 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:41 PM

My current truck is 1/2 ton.  My next truck will be 3/4 ton.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hawk, Tundra

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users