Photo
- - - - -

Can you put a solar panel on a Thule roof rack? #2 question below.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TahoeT

TahoeT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 05:09 AM

Thule model 460 (2017) with two cross bars about 1 1/2 thick.  The bars run horizontal and are adjustable.  The panel will run from front to back...and probably end up near the middle of the roof. 

I plan on using a 160 watt panel on top with two home built lithium ion batteries in the bank.  Do I need two BMS's...one for each battery.   Thanks for your help.  T

#2 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:07 PM

I have solar panels attached to my Yakima racks.  Thule is very similar.

I used the threaded track nuts (the nuts that hold the towers to the track) to hold aluminum square tubes cut to the appropriate length and then bolted the solar panel frames to the aluminum tubes. Quite strong and low profile.  Aluminum "L" channel would probably work as well.  I can still use the towers with cross bars to carry items such as kayaks.  The tower height puts the crossbars comfortably above the solar panels.  See the photos in my gallery.

https://www.wanderth...n-fwc-keystone/

I assume that the batteries will be connected together into a single battery bank, in which case you only need one battery monitor.  I use the Victron BMV-712

I am not as familiar with Lithium Ion batteries as I am with lead acid but it is my understanding that Lithium Ion batteries typically have built in battery management systems.

I hope this is somewhat helpful,

Craig

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable, such as Rando, will comment.

Edited by ckent323, 15 February 2020 - 07:08 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#3 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 15 February 2020 - 09:36 PM

I am wondering why you are planning on two LiFePO4 batteries?   If you are home building them, why not just build one to the capacity you need?  There are CALB cells available up to 400Ah per cell, so I am sure you can make one big enough.   Even if you use smaller cells you can put them in parallel/series so that you only have one 'battery' and therefore one BMS.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#4 TahoeT

TahoeT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:05 PM

Thanks Rando.   I am looking at several 180 to 200 amps on Alibaba.  Prices are pretty good and the reviews are also...if you can trust them.    T

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 19 February 2020 - 05:34 AM

I am wondering why you are planning on two LiFePO4 batteries?   If you are home building them, why not just build one to the capacity you need?  There are CALB cells available up to 400Ah per cell, so I am sure you can make one big enough.   Even if you use smaller cells you can put them in parallel/series so that you only have one 'battery' and therefore one BMS.

One reason to have two:  I used 2 in parallel to get sufficient Amp capacity out of them to run my 1800w induction cooktop.  Each BB can only put out 100A, so I needed two.  I checked around and didn't see any 100AH batteries that could output more than 100A.

#6 TahoeT

TahoeT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 08:27 PM

Thinking of purchasing this battery.  AliExpress:   Any members have a review?  4Pcs 3.2V 190Ah Lifepo4 Battery

BLS BATTERY OFFICAL STORE

4PCS-NEW-3-2V-190Ah-lifepo4-battery-LFP-

Edited by TahoeT, 19 February 2020 - 08:42 PM.

#7 TahoeT

TahoeT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 04:03 AM

Please disregard the above battery review.  I did some research and found some questionable issues with the company.  I do not plan to purchase that battery. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users