11 replies to this topic

#1 Orayr

Orayr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNorth Bergen

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:16 PM

What is your opinion on the best battery for fifth wheels Interstate ,NAPA, Die hard??

Thanks

#2 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:34 PM

many RV/Marine batteries are not true deep cycle batteries. flooded 6 volt golf cart batteries are probably the best economical way to go if you camp without electric hookups. Trojan T-105, 225 aHr, and the Deka equivalent are batteries I've had good luck with in my motorhome, they are reasonable and easy to find. Rolls Surette are probably top of the line but expensive.

You will need pairs of 6 volt batteries connected in series to make 12 volts.

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 14 February 2020 - 04:28 PM

What is your opinion on the best battery for fifth wheels Interstate ,NAPA, Die hard??

Thanks

A lot of what constitutes best might be defined by how you use your fiver.  If you’re not dry camping a lot, you might be better off going to Costco every 3-4 years, and buying new Marine/RV deep cycle lead acid batteries for well under $200.  Keeping them topped off and well maintained extends that life.  If you need serious performance, Larry’s post above is where I would start.

I am haunted by waters

#4 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:51 PM

Larryqp is correct.  Marine batteries are usually a hybrid of starting and deep cycle batteries, with lead sponge plates that are coarser and heavier than starting battery plates but not as thick as true deep cycle battery plates.

True deep cycle = thick battery plates at least 0.08" thick and preferably at least 0.1" thick.

I use two 6v, 220 AH Lifeline AGM true deep cycle batteries having positive plate thickness of .095” to .105”  High quality.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#5 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 15 February 2020 - 05:12 PM

Don't know if it's the best but I use a deepcycle 100ah Vmaxtanks. I don't have solar and have used it for up to 4 days in 90 something temps. and still had 30% charge left. I only run a Truckfridge, Fantastic fan and in cold temps a Propex furnace. Proper maintenance when not in use will extend performance and longevity.

https://www.vmaxtank...d-Rvs_c_37.html

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#6 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:29 PM

I use a Universal Power UB121000 12V AGM 100 Ah sealed lead acid battery in my trailer to power a winch.  It is two years old and still  seems to work well.  It cost about $179.

They refer to these as deep cycle but I am not sure if they really are as I cannot find the plate thickness info.  Weight is given as 64 pounds which is close to what I would expect for a true deep cycle battery of 100Ah capacity.  By comparison the vmax weight is given as 65 pounds.

specs:  

http://files.upgi.co...SpecSheet/45978

Buy
https://www.amazon.c...tomotive&sr=1-7

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 16 February 2020 - 01:03 AM

Oyarr,welcome to the cult.

I have had a Vmaxtanks 100ah 4th year having great service.

Solar on the camper so the battery both camper and truck

are maintained full charge,through the solar system.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 hebegebe

hebegebe

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationLA and San Diego

Posted 16 February 2020 - 01:27 AM

Oyarr,welcome to the cult.
I have had a Vmaxtanks 100ah 4th year having great service.
Solar on the camper so the battery both camper and truck
are maintained full charge,through the solar system.
Frank

I’ve been using vmax for 3+ yrs without a hiccup as well but just like any battery they are great until their not! I used a die hard marine and got nearly 6 years out of that one!

#9 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 16 February 2020 - 09:49 PM

I’ve been using vmax for 3+ yrs without a hiccup as well but just like any battery they are great until their not! I used a die hard marine and got nearly 6 years out of that one!

Actually I have the original battery from the Bobcat still in good order  and use it for a backup for starting my 65 Mustang convert.

Which has a 25 year old battery in it and "it" still works.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#10 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:02 PM

I am a fan of Crown Batteries for larger applications with solar. For my little camper I have a Walmart special that I got on sale.

A good place to look to understand systems is Handy Bobs website. https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users