25 replies to this topic

#11 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:37 PM

Dang, that sounds like an adventure of the no fun kind, but it sounds like you have a solution.

Have fun with that Bobcat.

no solution yet 

That happened to me here in Susanville a few years ago-but got lucky and found a smart clerk! The latest thing is how old your tank is-seems like there is a memo out a while back saying ya can't fill 'em past a certain age, but if you find someone who has been doing it for a while no problems-just the new ones being to safe!

Smoke

brand new tank

In the past I used U-Haul on Williams st and Saliman to purge my new tanks.

they said no

the local home delivery propane companies said no

someone called me back from Tractor Supply and their description of how they purge a tank does not match DOT instructions (and some odd thing about how they are "not allowed" to call it "purging")

I am beyond worrying and well into a state of freaking out.  

#12 crumbs

crumbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:57 PM

I've never done this, and I'm not even sure I've even seen a propane purge setup. At this point I would be considering doing it myself if I were in a similar situation. 

https://www.hunker.c...-a-propane-tank

https://goneoutdoors...nk-4829238.html

a kit: https://www.fairview...-kit-62880.html

Edited by crumbs, 18 February 2020 - 09:03 PM.

2wd  Looking for a New Puma Shell 78" wide with a 60" interior closed height.

#13 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:22 PM

I am somewhat confused about this being an issue. I have just taken the new cylinder to be filled and told the attendant that it is a new tank so do what is required for a first time fill. The fill station operator should know what to do. As propane is heaver than air, air will be on the top and be the first to exit leaving propane. What I have observed is the operator using the relief valve to vent longer than for a normal fill.  

Some interesting information here. https://www.propanet...-is-important-/

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#14 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:23 PM

I am somewhat confused about this being an issue. I have just taken the new cylinder to be filled and told the attendant that it is a new tank so do what is required for a first time fill. The fill station operator should know what to do. As propane is heaver than air, air will be on the top and be the first to exit leaving propane. What I have observed is the operator using the relief valve to vent longer than for a normal fill.  

Some interesting information here. https://www.propanet...-is-important-/

Paul

After a lot of phone calls it seems no one "purges" new tanks using the method described on that same website you linked to. That website also cautions against having the tank "purged" anywhere but a propane company but none of the propane companies I have spoken with will do it so I am more than somewhat confused. The "ranch" type stores seem to use the method you have observed. I don't seem to have options other than that. 

#15 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 18 February 2020 - 11:12 PM

I have an ATC so I called Marty and he said that they bleed the air out of the tank before filling it so you don't have to purge the tank. I had my initial fill done by my propane supplier (Suburban Propane) a year ago and asked them to purge the tank. They set it up to purge and turns out it didn't need to be. I haven't had any problems with my stove or furnace.

Edited by Ronin, 19 February 2020 - 01:15 AM.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#16 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 19 February 2020 - 02:13 AM

I have an ATC so I called Marty and he said that they bleed the air out of the tank before filling it so you don't have to purge the tank. I had my initial fill done by my propane supplier (Suburban Propane) a year ago and asked them to purge the tank. They set it up to purge and turns out it didn't need to be. I haven't had any problems with my stove or furnace.

Hmmm. So much conflicting information. The paperwork given to me says the tank needs to be "purged". But after talking to someone at CAL Ranch in Carson (and Tractor Supply's comment how they "are not allowed to call it purging" or the guy at the RV place saying they "purge" a tank every time they fill it) I am beginning to think this is an issue of vocabulary and my ignorance. 

#17 crumbs

crumbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 19 February 2020 - 02:18 AM

I'm asking.  I don't know.  Couldn't one just have it filled and run a  gas grill or something else for a bottle or two till it works itself clear?

2wd  Looking for a New Puma Shell 78" wide with a 60" interior closed height.

#18 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 19 February 2020 - 05:10 AM

I did stop in at U-Haul and had a chat.  They stopped preforming purging tanks a year and half ago.  He suggested Amerigas.  They are down the street from me and I can call or stop in if you want.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#19 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 19 February 2020 - 05:11 AM

I did not purge a tank once and the welding waste plugged a refrigerator orifice. Had a company waste the propane and do a purge.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#20 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 19 February 2020 - 07:11 PM

I believe you just took delivery of an ATC. Give Marty a call - he knows what he's talking about. He fills the bottle (if your camper came with one) to check the connections, stove and furnace. I can't believe he'd risk having to warrantee your appliances over this.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users