Photo
- - - - -

Death Valley, CA -> Chicago: looking for sights, boondocking. April.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:33 PM

Death Valley, CA -> Chicago: looking for sights, boondocking. April. 

Hi all

I have a solo, camping road trip coming up (April) and would like to ask about any MUST SEE things along the way. 

I’d also prefer to do minor roads, and less interstate, as they are prettier, and more interesting to drive along.

I will be in a 4X4 pop up truck camper, and camping the whole way.

I prefer very quiet boondocking, and if a campsite - then scenic and mellow and quiet. (nowhere near traffic at all…. / roads)

Looking for scenic things to see along the way, that are mostly along my route, and also great, quiet campsites and boon docking sites. 

I may check out various HipCamp, Harvest Hosts, Boondockers Welcome, and similar campsites, to meet interesting people along the way. 

I for sure want to go thru Pie Town NM and Magdalena NM (love it there) but East of that I am flexible.

But don’t want to go 500 miles out of my way……. small detours. :-)

Leave Los Angeles (April)

Death Valley, CA

Yosemite National Park (weather permitting)

back down thru Death Valley on the way….  probably

Magdalena NM

(When driving from Yosemite to Magdalena NM.

Any scenic way to avoid Vegas and Kingman and Flagstaff and have it be more scenic? Maybe go thru Sedona somehow?)

Albuquerque NM

then….  any sensible way to Chicago….. the most direct way is below, but I can go any way and make any small detours to see great scenery or unusual places between Magdalena NM and Chicago, the final destination.

The most direct way is below: (small detours are OK, not 500 mile detours)

Santa Rosa TX

Amarillo TX

Oklahoma City 

Tulsa 

Springfield, Missouri

St Louis

Springfield, IL

Bloomington 

Chicago IL.

Thanks!  

#2 OutToLunch

OutToLunch

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 02:43 PM

If you’re looking to avoid Flagstaff, head into Utah from Death Valley (you’ll pass through Las Vegas).  If you leave DV by the southern routes, you can stop at China Ranch in Tecopa for a date milkshake and some dates.  You can cut through Zion hit Kanab, then the north rim of the Grand Canyon.  Lots of places to boondock outside the park.  From Jacobs lake head East (highway 89A).  As you leave the forest, you’ll go down a long grade and enter sagebrush territory. At the bottom you’ll see a solitary stone house at the junction of House Rock Road.  Up House Rock Road you’ll find Buckskin Gultch, which is a good hike into the slot canyon of the Paria River.  Awesome, longest and deepest slot canyon in the Southwest but not as photogenic as Antelope Canyon by Page.  Back to 89A, you’ll pass the Vermillion Cliffs, cross the Colorado River at Navajo Bridge.  From there you can drive across the Navajo rez but remember there is no boondocking on the Rez.   There is great camping around Four Corners/Mexican Hat plus a great restaurant (Comb Ridge Cafe) in Bluff, Utah. You can camp in Valley of the Gods, up on Cedar Mesa, out towards Johns Canyon, along Comb Ridge.  Monument valley is south towards Kayenta but on Navajo land (no boondocking).

if you wanted to head east out of Yosemite, I’d recommend Great Basin NP which is an under appreciated gem of a park.  I camped there in July once. Came in around three on a Friday and the campgrounds were maybe a quarter full. Camped without neighbors. Great park, few people, sounds like paradise to me.

#3 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 03:04 PM

fantastic info - thanks!!!  :-)

time to soon sit down, crack a good beer, and take long looks at Google map. 

and...

yeah the 4 corners area is amazing. I had forgotten about it. went a million years ago. Thanks! and thanks for it all. awesome. 

J

If you’re looking to avoid Flagstaff, head into Utah from Death Valley (you’ll pass through Las Vegas).  If you leave DV by the southern routes, you can stop at China Ranch in Tecopa for a date milkshake and some dates.  You can cut through Zion hit Kanab, then the north rim of the Grand Canyon.  Lots of places to boondock outside the park.  From Jacobs lake head East (highway 89A).  As you leave the forest, you’ll go down a long grade and enter sagebrush territory. At the bottom you’ll see a solitary stone house at the junction of House Rock Road.  Up House Rock Road you’ll find Buckskin Gultch, which is a good hike into the slot canyon of the Paria River.  Awesome, longest and deepest slot canyon in the Southwest but not as photogenic as Antelope Canyon by Page.  Back to 89A, you’ll pass the Vermillion Cliffs, cross the Colorado River at Navajo Bridge.  From there you can drive across the Navajo rez but remember there is no boondocking on the Rez.   There is great camping around Four Corners/Mexican Hat plus a great restaurant (Comb Ridge Cafe) in Bluff, Utah. You can camp in Valley of the Gods, up on Cedar Mesa, out towards Johns Canyon, along Comb Ridge.  Monument valley is south towards Kayenta but on Navajo land (no boondocking).

if you wanted to head east out of Yosemite, I’d recommend Great Basin NP which is an under appreciated gem of a park.  I camped there in July once. Came in around three on a Friday and the campgrounds were maybe a quarter full. Camped without neighbors. Great park, few people, sounds like paradise to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users