#1 Doff

Doff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:36 PM

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has, or has seen Aluminess storage boxes attached directly to the back of a FWC?  We want two (left and right) Deluxe Aliminess storage boxes on the back of our camper that swing out to the sides.  If we can help it, we do not want to modify our truck bumper, or have the boxes on the truck full time.  The truck is my regular day to day driver so we take the camper on/off.  Is there anyway to have the storage boxes attached directly to the camper so they come on/off with it?

Thanks

Dan

#2 Norsman

Norsman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:30 PM

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has, or has seen Aluminess storage boxes attached directly to the back of a FWC? We want two (left and right) Deluxe Aliminess storage boxes on the back of our camper that swing out to the sides. If we can help it, we do not want to modify our truck bumper, or have the boxes on the truck full time. The truck is my regular day to day driver so we take the camper on/off. Is there anyway to have the storage boxes attached directly to the camper so they come on/off with it?

Thanks
Dan

They are way to heavy, people even have issues with mounting extra fuel to the jack bracket. I have been thinking of using this guy to fabricate a bumper.

http://robbonneyfab....-tire-carriers/

#3 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKelowna, BC, Canada

Posted 19 February 2020 - 05:01 PM

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has, or has seen Aluminess storage boxes attached directly to the back of a FWC?  We want two (left and right) Deluxe Aliminess storage boxes on the back of our camper that swing out to the sides.  If we can help it, we do not want to modify our truck bumper, or have the boxes on the truck full time.  The truck is my regular day to day driver so we take the camper on/off.  Is there anyway to have the storage boxes attached directly to the camper so they come on/off with it?

Thanks

Dan

In theory you could mount the boxes to a subframe that is installed between the truck bed and the camper. However it is probably not a good idea to permanently attach the subframe to the camper because that would be too much weight on the camper when you remove it from the truck.

Another option is a hitch gate type system to mount the boxes on a swing away system that attaches to your rear receiver hitch.

Imagine a second storage box in place of the rear tire:

campers-jpg.532662

Here are a few pictures of a Palomino camper with a built in rear bumper and storage boxes that appear to be supported by the rear jack brackets:

Palomino-Bumper-Add-On-11.jpgPalomino-Bumper-boxes.jpg

Edited by OutbacKamper, 19 February 2020 - 07:27 PM.

#4 Redfish

Redfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNorth-Central Florida

Posted 19 February 2020 - 05:38 PM

Doff,

I mounted a box on my 2016 Fleet, but used a lightweight custom-made dry box rather than an Aluminess box. I didn't want to add a heavy bumper with swing-outs, although that would be the obvious choice. See photos below.

I've used it for two 4-month long summer/fall trips totaling about 25,000 miles, driving on all kinds of roads, and it has been great. It's absolutely rock solid and I've detected zero issues since the weight is well distributed across multiple mounting points and backed by fender washers and/or backing plates. I was concerned about adding extra weight beyond my bumper but I can't tell the difference (but I also have a custom spring pack from Boise Spring Works). 

I use the box to variously store lightweight, bulky items (e.g., Alpacka raft, paddles, life jackets, backpacks, sleeping pads, sleeping bags, etc). The box and brackets collectively weigh a bit over 20 lbs and I never store more than 15 lbs in the box. I only use the water jug to fill my camper tanks when using a hose isn't an option, and it's always mounted empty. The box (but not the 2 brackets) is easily removable so I'm not always stuck using it if I don't need it. I'll add a couple more photos in subsequent posts.

Camper Box3.png

2016 Tacoma 4x4 V6 SR5 AT

2016 FWC Fleet

#5 Redfish

Redfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNorth-Central Florida

Posted 19 February 2020 - 05:57 PM

Here's a rough schematic of the brackets and mounting points. With exception of the bottom bracket, I used existing mounting points. This entailed removing the grab handle and lower rear step.

Camper box, brackets, bolts.jpg

Here's photo of the bottom bracket, which required bolting through the bottom cleats and floor pack to a large backing plate installed inside a cabinet on my front dinette Fleet.

Attached Thumbnails

• Box bottom bracket.jpg

2016 Tacoma 4x4 V6 SR5 AT

2016 FWC Fleet

#6 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff & Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 20 February 2020 - 12:59 AM

I'd be a bit gun shy of attaching too much weight to the rear frame unless FWC prep'd for it during construction. You'd need to at a minimum use riv-nuts or bolt completely through the frame studs to a backer plate on the inside to distribute the load. IHMO.

Here is my Rob Bonney modified Expedition One rear bumper. Great work, but as an excellent fabricator, he commands an excellent price. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4225.jpeg
  • IMG_4287.jpeg

Edited by Oilbrnr, 20 February 2020 - 01:01 AM.

• 2016 Power Wagon - King/Thuren/Carli/Air Lift/Daystar suspension
  • 2017 FWC Hawk

#7 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff & Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 20 February 2020 - 01:00 AM

One more

Attached Thumbnails

• Feb Beach Trip-68.jpeg

• 2016 Power Wagon - King/Thuren/Carli/Air Lift/Daystar suspension
  • 2017 FWC Hawk

#8 Doff

Doff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for all the great info.  Looks like anything mounted directly to the camper can't hold much weight, and itsnt a great idea.  I like the idea of the hitch swing out arms that we could mount the boxes to.  Anyone have any swing out arms they really like and would recommend?

#9 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:46 PM

It might be feasible, but, I wouldn't mount boxes directly to the camper while under warranty.  I suspect doing so would invalid such.

South Carolina Low Country.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users