10 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:22 AM

We had problems on the last trip. Setting up camp the first night, we found the fridge running with 37° showing on the display. It did not shut off after a time and the display still read 37°. I put our outdoor sensor for our indoor/outdoor thermometer in the fridge. It read 32°. Looked like the compressor/cooling was okay but the controls were at fault. We continued on the trip watching the temperature and manually turning the fridge on and off as needed. Interesting note is that every time we turned the fridge on, the temperature on the display would read 2° colder than the prior turn on. But as before, the temperature on the display would not change while running.

After returning home, I called the Truckfridge support phone number and described the issue to the tech. His diagnosis was the thermistor needed to be replaced. He would send one out to me with directions for remove and replace. $23 total cost. It arrived here five days later.

DSC_0025-copy.jpg

Here is the process. The cover for the compressor area - 11 screws - is removed.

DSC_0024-copy.jpg

No need to remove any electrical connections to the power inputs on the cover. You can move the cover aside as needed.

DSC_0027-copy.jpg

You need to access the control board on the left side - two screws through the condenser coils - and remove the left side brace for access to get to the control board.

DSC_0026-copy.jpg

DSC_0028-copy.jpg

DSC_0029-copy.jpg

The temperature sensor on the thermistor is inserted into the fridge box via a tube that is covered with black putty in the above photos. Additional photos to follow.

The control board is removed just enough to allow access to the thermistor connection. This makes it easy.

DSC_0031-copy.jpg

DSC_0030-copy.jpg

DSC_0032-copy.jpg

The putty on the sensor tube and the wire clip are removed.

DSC_0034-copy.jpg

DSC_0036-copy.jpg

Removed the old thermistor. Here is old and new.

DSC_0037-copy.jpg

I connected the thermistor to the control board, reattached the control board, and reattached the brace.

DSC_0038-copy.jpg

I slid the sensor all the way in, replaced the black putty over the hole, and ran the wire under the retaining clip.

DSC_0039-copy.jpg

DSC_0040-copy.jpg

I blew the dust out with my air compressor and reassembled. It appears to work! The display read 54° when I turned the fridge on and the compressor started up. It took only few minutes to bring the temp down - the display showed the lowering temperatures - and the fridge turned off at the set point.

The repair took 15 minutes.

I'll run it for a couple days to confirm the repair and then put it back in the camper.

I hope this will be helpful to other WTW members.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 19 February 2020 - 01:11 AM

Thanks Ski- I'll keep this filed away in case I run into the same issue with my Truckfridge!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 01:13 AM

Thanks Ski- I'll keep this filed away in case I run into the same issue with my Truckfridge!

Thanks Ronin! I should add this refrigerator is a little over two years old. It has been put to use.  :) 

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 19 February 2020 - 01:17 AM

Thanks Ski for this info.

I also have a Truckfridge.

Did you "star" this thread so we can find it when needed?

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 19 February 2020 - 07:56 PM

Sounds like great service from TF.  

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:42 PM

Sounds like great service from TF.  

Absolutely! Especially in comparison to a couple of years ago. I called about figuring out a problem and the response was only ship it back, we can take a look at it. It now appears that they are helpful about common problems and have parts with instructions available. This is good news for us.

Also, they answer the phone with, "Indel B North America."

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 20 February 2020 - 12:05 AM

Ski thanks for "staring"it.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 20 February 2020 - 03:08 PM

Ski, thanks for the detailed post. I have the same fridge.

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 04:53 PM

Thanks all for the kind comments!

The fridge passed the trial runs and is now back in the camper.

Where should we go?

#10 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:55 AM

Thanks all for the kind comments!

The fridge passed the trial runs and is now back in the camper.

Where should we go?

Ski thanks for your review of the repair... easy peasy, done!

Weather is good.. throw darts to a map? You always surprise us!

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users