#1 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:17 PM

Hi everyone!

It looks like the Prince Rupert ferry may be operable this year and if so we would like to leave a few days early to see Banff, Jasper and Yolo NP’s on our way up to Alaska.

Since I’ve never been there I am hoping that some of our members could provide some suggestions as to where to camp, what to see etc. I know we won’t be able to see everything but we hope to spend a week in the area and am trying to maximize our time there. I know that camping is only allowed in Campgrounds in the NP’s and that’s ok. We bought the Canadian National Park Pass and realize that reservations are probably necessary (or are they this early in the season?).

We will be there around the first of June +/- and I know it might be a little chilly but that’s OK.

Thank you.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 20 February 2020 - 04:58 AM

Eddie, what kinds of activities are you into?  Hiking, skiing, canoeing, mountain biking, tourist type site seeing, beer/food?

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:14 AM

Eddie, there is so much beauty in that area, just enjoy!  Two memories I have from many years ago are the ice fields, and the alpenhorns at Lake Louise.

I am haunted by waters

#4 Boise

Boise

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 22 February 2020 - 03:01 PM

If you can fit in a morning hike out of Lake Louise, https://www.banfflak...king/tea-houses, the views are incomparable.  And so are the pastries baked in the woodstove at the Lake Agnes Tea House.  My wife and I did hike to Agnes and then over the ridge and back down to Lake Louise in the fall. It appears to be open June 4th this year.  

The last 3 years I have passed Lake Louise by on the way to Alaska, but this year I plan on stopping "to smell the roses", and hike up to Lake Agnes.  (July)

2017 F350 dually, 1958 10' Alaskan
97 F250 Powerstroke, 1970 NCO 8' sold

#5 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:16 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

To answer some of your questions we are interested in mild to moderate hikes (remember we are flat landers!)

Of course we also want to do some of the more “touristy” things and the suggestion to get up early is a good idea.

we love to kayak/paddle as well and photography is one of my hobbies.

Thanks for the campground suggestions also.

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming.

Eddie
KO4CPL

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 12:48 AM

+1 on Wilcox Pass.  It is the best/fastest way to get amazing views (on foot) in the Canadian Rockies.  Nearest CG is Wilcox pass, and you can walk from the CG to the trailhead.  The CG is hard to access with a trailer, but perfect for a FWC.  Mid-week getting in should not be a problem.  We've gotten in on the Friday of a long weekend!

In Banff, the Mt Fairview/Saddleback hike puts you up high and only 1500' or so lower than the top of Mt Temple from a short distance away from that classic peak.  The views from there of the peak and down to Lake Louise are spectacular.

If you can stomach a bus shuttle up to Morraine Lake, the environs there are very photogenic!  Canoes can be rented too, and paddling on the lake gets you views you can only ever get in the winter from the middle of that lake)

Down low, check out the walks in Johnson's Canyon.  This is very touristy at the beginning, but you can hike a long ways through the trees to the "ink pots" or natural springs and be very much alone on that section of the trail.

As Iowa pointed out above, the Sulphur Mtn gondola in the Banff townsite gets you up there to see some great views without any effort.  You can hike up and take the gondola down too, if that's more inline with your fitness/time allowances.

At Lake Louise, consider skipping the Lake Anges/Tea House hike (Also very good, but lots of people) and hike up to the Plain of the 6 Glaciers.  This gets you up close to Victoria and the surrounding peaks.

I'd suggest getting a campsite at Waterfowl Lakes.  Several good hikes can be done from close to there (Bow Pass is great) and paddling on the two lakes is relaxing and VERY scenic.

In Jasper, check out the Bald Hills hike (seeing Maligne lake is worth the drive) or go to the Miette Hot Springs after scaling the Sulphur Skyline.

The gondola up the to the Whistler's restaurant in Jasper can be fun, especially if you want to day hike from way up there.

In Jasper as well, a trip to Mt Edith Cavell and the Cavell meadows is worthwhile.

Mt Robson is close by, and I could spend a week there (and have many times) but the hikes are longer.

I recommend the guide book "Don't wast your time in the Canadian Rockies" by the Copeland's.  VERY good, and usually right on target.

If you are driving through Calgary, we could give you a parking spot on our lawn, and a soak in the hot tub for a night or two!

Vic

#7 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 03 March 2020 - 07:37 PM

Well I just sat down with my NG maps of Banff and Jasper NP’s and noted all the suggestions and it looks fantastic. Some of the CG’s I would not have picked initially but the reviews (and of course your suggestions) were spot on and it looks like it’s going to be a great time. Of course, there won’t be enough time to see everything but perhaps just whet our whistle to make the long drive from VA again.

The hikes and paddling suggestions should be fantastic!

Once again, thanks everyone for the suggestions. We really appreciate it.

Eddie
KO4CPL

#8 lmwilco1

lmwilco1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationTempe Arizona

Posted 04 March 2020 - 01:52 AM

I am also planning a trip to Jasper and Banff, planning to leave Phoenix around Aug 8th and have to be back by October 9th. Looking forward to any suggestions you can provide.

#9 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 04 March 2020 - 04:13 PM

We’re also headed north this summer, late June into middle of July. Glacier NP > Calgary (worked there in 1975) > Banff/Jasper > Whistler (5 days) > Oregon and back home. But our vehicle will be a 32’ MH this time. We’re just beginning to map out stops and overnights. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#10 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 06:08 PM

If you are coming from the south east, consider camping in both Glacier and Waterton national parks.  Both different and wonderful, with great hiking/sites in both.  Also, avoid the main highways and head through Kananaskis Country on your way to Banff.  Some of the road is good gravel, some is paved.  Nice camping/hiking/canoeing/biking along the way.

Let me know what kinds of activities and at what fitness level you are looking for.  I can make lots more suggestions.  Also, if you want/need to swing through Calgary, we are open to fellow Wanderers stopping by.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users