13 replies to this topic

#11 Adventurer

Adventurer

Advanced Member

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 10:13 AM

Couldn't you put it on the roof of the camper, as I think with a Yakima or thule, etc., you have spare tire carrier options, or a front mounted hitch carrier?

#12 oldhotrod

oldhotrod

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 15 March 2020 - 02:02 AM

Look at which mounted tire carriers, they add little weight, are easily removed and adaptable to different needs...rigid, wilco and Westcott designs all have different takes on the hitch mount

#13 Your Mileage May Vary

Your Mileage May Vary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 November 2020 - 02:04 PM

I'm not an engineer, but in one of my past lives I raced on track and in rally. Whenever we needed to add weight, we'd keep it as low as possible, as central as possible, and always between the wheels. Adding weight, in itself, is detrimental to handling, acceleration, deceleration, normal wear, and increases failures of various components. Placing added weight outside the wheels compounds issues with braking stability and handling, as it adds to the pendulum effect. One might not notice much difference in normal everyday driving, but would certainly notice the difference when approaching the limits of the vehicle, such as taking evasive maneuvers to prevent a crash or if they need to come a quick stop on a slippery curve. Everything else being equal, adding weight past the rear tires would lead to oversteering at lower speeds and increased chance of loss of control.

Robert VE9CDN ยป 2023 Ford Ranger FX4 with ATC Bobcat

Goal is to travel overland as slowly as possible, as far as possible, as long as possible.

AdventureTrend.com

#14 Randonneur

Randonneur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 08:53 PM

I have thought about this for a while myself since I often carry two mountain bikes on a 1-UPUSA rack attached to the receiver hitch on my 2017 Tacoma/ Fleet FWC. I would have preferred a swing arm system for the rack but the 1-UPUSA rack folds down out of the way to give access to the rear kinda sorta if you place the steps to the side. Somebody mentioned that they use the space along the side for mounting shovels and other recovery gear-- do you have any photos of this that you can share? Where did you drill into the camper and with what?

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users