Photo
- - - - -

WHY do people eventually sell their FWC?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 todgru

todgru

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationMaupin, OR

Posted 26 February 2020 - 05:06 AM

Upgrade! I sold my 80’s vintage Fleet and bought a new 2016 Fleet. 😁

#12 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 February 2020 - 06:10 AM

I've owned 2 FWC's between 1998 & 2019.  1st one was a Grandby, full camper  Had it for 7 years and sold when we bought a vintage Airstream Trailer.  Either camped out of the trailer or from a tent &/or truck canopy for 5 years.  Missed the FWC for backroad exploring and bought a Grandby shell in 2010.  Sold it in 2019 because we weren't using it quite as much as we used to and wanted to downsize from a 3 vehicle to a 2 vehicle family.  Also, as we got older, if we found an area we wanted to explore, we got tired of having to set up and break down the camper in the morning if we wanted to go out to explore during the day.  Also the roads we are going down are not quite as gnarly as the ones we frequented in the past.  We like the option of setting up a "base" camp by dropping a trailer and being able to drive away for the day and come back to a set up camp.  Can do that in some areas with our old Airstream but not when we get further off paved roads.  So, we are considering getting a smaller/more rugged trailer that will meet our needs.  Proving to be a challenge as most of the trailers that one can stand up in and have basic camping amenities are not up to the task.  There are a few that might have potential.  However, as with everything, there are tradeoffs.  Lastly, we've been without our FWC shell for a year now and we do miss it.

#13 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,018 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 26 February 2020 - 06:19 PM

I'm in the age/health camp. Probably get a small trailer when the camper becomes too much. 

Lots of reason for a 2018/19 camper to be for sale. Can be a death in the family, unexpected loss of job or in a few cases, unexpected addition to the family!

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#14 esimmers

esimmers

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 10:12 PM

This is a very timely topic since we're getting our 2009 Hawk ready to sell this spring. We've loved having all the comforts of a fully-outfitted rig and have used it often. But even with a ladder I added to get into the over-cab bed the climb's getting to be a nighttime hassle at our age. Here, north of Seattle, the climate's good enough for almost year-round camping so we've bought a well-insulated small 5th wheel trailer from Escape Trailer to take its place. We'll miss the convenience of not having to drag a trailer around but hope to enjoy leaving the set-up trailer in camp and using the truck to drive to nearby sites. I'll be posting the Hawk for sale in about 3 weeks when we get all our stuff out of it and clean it up.

Ed

#15 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 February 2020 - 10:21 PM

simmers, how do you like your Escape 5th who?  We are considering a 19ft Escape or possibly the new 21ft with the Queen bed.  If we go that route, will likely sell the old Airstream.

#16 Colorado Mark

Colorado Mark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationLittleton & Buena Vista, CO

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:48 PM

We sold our first many years ago.  It was a financial situation.  Truck had to go first but the camper was just sitting there.  Figured may as well sell the camper since it was just sitting.

Took a while (~20 years) but bounced back.  New truck and new Grandby.

#17 Bjammin

Bjammin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 27 February 2020 - 04:18 PM

We bought our FWC Hawk used from a man who had a big change in his life situation. He and his wife were to be the only users until he had to adopt his 5-year-old grand son, who tipped the scales and made the camper too small for them (the dogs didn't help either) I'm sure there are as many reasons to move on from a camper as there are owners.

#18 Occidental

Occidental

• Members
  • 366 posts
  • LocationHome is where you park it

Posted 28 February 2020 - 05:06 AM

We sold our first camper (3rd owners of a 90's FWC) to upgrade and avoid dumping money into an old camper.  We sold it after 150 nights over three years for more than we bought it for.  We bought a nearly new FWC from a couple who were converting a sprinter van which was more to their liking for what they planned to do.  It looked like they got little use out of the FWC, I'm doubtful that converting to a van actually got them out and about more, but the upshot was a nearly new used camper for us!

2020 Ford Ranger, 2012 Eagle

http://www.occidentalist.org

#19 hook

hook

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 07:54 PM

buyers remorse, a new FWC is a significant chunk of money if you are stretched

#20 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 04 March 2020 - 11:31 PM

The dream doesn't match your reality.

We bought ours at the wrong time. I thought we'd be out every weekend !!, then maybe twice a month. Umm, no.

We had a few years use until other demands on our finances and time were made priority. We had the means to store the camper, most would prob have sold. Later, when we were in better shape the truck had gotten old and was gone. Again, we kept the camper while saving for a new truck. Gotta think most would have sold.

Like Colorado Mark we we able to come back to it, thankfully.

Now we've had 10+ years to get thru a punch list of trips. Another good time to sell... but we'll keep it for now.

Why will we eventually sell ? Prob because like us, the camper will get too darned old. I read on the FWC site that most of their buyers are retired or near retirement. Kind of surprised me but they should know. The clock ticks a bit faster then.

Whatever your window of time is, use it. If a FWC doesn't do it for someone, no matter, sell it and move on 'cause that window can close at any time.

Enjoy your camper Davo and Happy Travels !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users