#1 trailrider

trailrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 26 February 2020 - 02:04 AM

We have an ATC Ocelot and I am happy to say we survived an extreme wind storm in Death Valley on night of Jan 16th. We had 50-60 mph winds that lasted  for at least 4 hours. My wife was afraid the truck would turn over. We have a full size 1/2 ton Chevy. I was not worried about that, but I was afraid the soft side would rip. We were camping slightly above the valley floor and totally out in the open with nothing to block the wind. It was too windy to go outside and try to pop down.

I am happy to say that the soft side held up with no problems. I am sure a FWC would too.

Mike

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,018 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 26 February 2020 - 06:24 PM

Ask anyone who has driven down the highway with the top popped and they'll tell you they do just fine. Its a bit hard to sleep in those winds but it sure does wonders for decreasing the numbers of tent campers :)

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,293 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 26 February 2020 - 08:55 PM

That was a good test for your camper but maybe not your nerves.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 27 February 2020 - 06:08 PM

Man I hope you had ear plugs. In 40 mph wind the camper sounds like a rocket ship inside a kettle drum. Can't imagine what 60 would be like. Glad everyone and everything survived. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#5 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:39 PM

Yep-you just joined the club and found out about the joys of owing a pop-up!  That first time is always fun, now throw in some rain and lightning next time and go for the next level, but you know, these things really are built to withstand most of what nature can throw at them and still hold together B)

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#6 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:59 PM

I have this friend, yeah, a friend, that drove 150 miles at highway speeds with the top up while visiting Canada.  He reports no damage other than his ego...

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,960 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 29 February 2020 - 04:40 AM

I have this friend, yeah, a friend, that drove 150 miles at highway speeds with the top up while visiting Canada.  He reports no damage other than his ego...

We all drive like that in Canada...  :lol:  :blink:

#8 Mthomas

Mthomas

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Tahoe

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:50 AM

For the future, if you suspect high winds, point one forward corner of the vehicle into the wind. It will Decrease resistance and motion a lot.. If the wind shifts, get up and move the truck a bit. Even if not as level, you will be more confortable through the night. Finally, ALWAYS have a couple sets of foam earplugs available.

2018 Hawk FD 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD

#9 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 27 March 2020 - 12:08 PM

We had a similar wind when we were there in our Four Wheel Camper.  We were worried too but it survived.  We also had another windy night in WY a few months back.  That was worse so we actually go up during the night and dropped the roof. I had to sleep in the truck cab, girlfriend on the lower couch/bed.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#10 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 12:28 PM

Having had two tents shredded around me by winds, being in our camper in high winds seems pretty bombproof. Might not get too much sleep, but I don't worry about the camper. Never have (yet) driven down the highway with it up, but from what the folks with experience say, not a problem. Pointing the corner of the rig into the wind is a good idea, have not heard that one

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users