4 replies to this topic

#1 SteveCoscia

SteveCoscia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 26 February 2020 - 10:03 PM

I'm based in Philadelphia.  Next week, I am driving out west for business (my rig is attached). There are gaps in my client schedule during which I'd like to explore and do some overland camping.  Two available treks are listed below.

• One trek is from San Antonio to Tucson on I-10 with three days to kill. 
  • Another trek is from Los Angeles to Las Vegas on I-15 with two days to kill.

From your experience, any good overland campsites or site seeing on these routes?

Thanks,

-Steve Coscia

Attached Thumbnails

• Ricketts-Glen-Small.jpg

#2 dr.tucson

dr.tucson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 27 February 2020 - 03:53 PM

Hi Steve-  The Chiricahua National Monument is south of I-10 after you cross into Arizona.  The roads over the Chiricahua's may be snowed in but the Monument is open and there is a very nice campground there.  For the California part, Cima Dome in the Mojave National Preserve is only about 10 miles or so south of I-15 from exit 272.  There is dispersed camping pretty much throughout the Mojave Preserve.  Safe travels, dr.tucson

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 27 February 2020 - 04:41 PM

Two sources for information on the Mojave National Preserve - just south of Interstate 15 in California -

NPS website

Jim Boone's website

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 27 February 2020 - 04:43 PM

Just east of Tucson -

Kartchner Caverns

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 Sleddog

Sleddog

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 27 February 2020 - 05:17 PM

The Chiricahua Mountains and the Chiricahua National Monument would be a great spot for a couple of days just south of I-10. Go in on the Portal side, check out the Cave Creek area, drive Forest Road 42 over the top through Pinery Canyon, then into the National Monument. Many very nice primitive sites all over the Chiricahuas, the ones near Cave Creek and Pinery Canyon are my favorite.

We just left there a couple of weeks ago. Roads over the top were free of snow and only a little mud. The Cave Creek area should not be missed, stop at the visitor center for good info on primitive camping and road conditions. Sky Islands Grill and Grocery on the Portal Road has some excellent baked goods.

I posted a trip report here:

https://www.wanderth...tains-and-more/

Edited by Sleddog, 27 February 2020 - 05:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users