#1 BlueRidge

BlueRidge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:42 AM

Hello,

I have a Norcold top-loading 45L refrigerator.   It's powered by a factory installed FWC 165 watt solar panel, two 100 amp batteries, and the alternator from my truck.

When I drive the truck and have the alternator supplying additional power, the frig works normally.

When I turn the truck off, and use battery power alone, it won't hold the set temperature, and gradually gets warmer.

I have a trimetic meter, as well as the factory installed Zamp monitor.   The trimetic shows the battery is 90-100% charged, yet the Norcold doesn't stay cold.

Do you have any trouble shooting suggestions?

Also, if I need to get it serviced, can you recommend a repair shop in Tampa or Orlando Florida for good service?

Thanks, John 

#2 LAWNMOWERMAN

LAWNMOWERMAN

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 04:10 AM

What is the voltage on your trimetric when trying to run the fridge on batteries only?The % of charge may not be correct if the meter is not set up correctly.I don't know about your Norcold but my ARB 50qt has 3 low voltage shut off settings.

2017 Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad / 2014 ATC Bobcat / Tucson,Az

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 28 February 2020 - 05:29 AM

Looking at the Norcold manual, it has 3 low voltage settings. What is the OP's set on?

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 BlueRidge

BlueRidge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 02:58 AM

The Norcold voltage switch is set on #3

The trimetric shows 12.8 volts truck not running.

#5 zoie

zoie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 03:03 AM

What is the voltage on the battery after you've run the fridge for a  while.  May be your battery is failing?

#6 LAWNMOWERMAN

LAWNMOWERMAN

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 04:56 AM

Have you tried moving the low voltage switch to the other settings?With the Trimetric set to volts turn the fridge on.Does the voltage drop?If no voltage drop--check voltage at plug going in to the fridge with a multimeter.My guess would be a bad connection to the plug but with truck charging higher volts and amps may override the bad connection.Is it hard wired or a cigarette lighter plug?

2017 Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad / 2014 ATC Bobcat / Tucson,Az

#7 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 29 February 2020 - 06:22 AM

I'm curious about the fridge current draw on batteries only vs when the truck is running as indicated on the Trimetric.

Also, have your verified that all negatives return through the shunt?

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#8 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 29 February 2020 - 03:09 PM

What model fridge?

If it's an NRF45, I see the manual for that one shows it has power and error lights and I'd be curious what they show.    Also, whether they display differently with truck running versus battery only.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#9 BlueRidge

BlueRidge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 01:32 AM

I didnt install the trimetric so I dont know if all the negatives ran through the shunt (or what a shunt is).

The frig has worked for two years without fail.

The yellow error light displays when the frig fails to hold temperature (set at 40).

Changing the 3 position switch doesnt change the volt or amp draw.

Truck running volts are 13.3, truck off is a range of 12.4 to 12.8

#10 BlueRidge

BlueRidge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 01:38 AM

Lawnmoverman, With the frig runningand holding temperature the volts were 12.4 truck off.

I turned the frig off and volts clmbed to 12.6, turned it back on and volts stayed at 12.6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users