11 replies to this topic

#1 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 29 February 2020 - 10:32 PM

Once again I’m coming here with my hat in hand to ask the knowledgeable group an electrical question...

I purchased a 120 volt foldable solar panel from Overland Solar. It has the SAE plug. My thought is that I may need to use it if we are camped for a few days where the existing panels on the roof may be covered by trees and I can set this up in an open area.

https://overlandsola...0-solar-charger

I am trying to figure out how to attach it to my Blue Sky 3000i MPPT controller which has a + and -  attachment for the solar panels.

https://sunforgellc....ar-boost-3000i/

So my question is how do I determine which wire in the SAE plug is positive and which is negative?

I have called and emailed Overland Solar multiple time in the last 10 days or so but have not received a response...

Thanks!

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 29 February 2020 - 11:17 PM

I hope the 120 volt is really a 120 watt panel. A voltmeter is the easy to way to tell.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 29 February 2020 - 11:44 PM

Most straight forward way is with a multimeter.   Put the voltmeter on the DC volts setting and measure the output from the panel - if it says something like 20V then the red lead is on the positive terminal, if it says -20V then the red lead is on the negative terminal.  

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#4 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 01 March 2020 - 02:15 PM

I hope the 120 volt is really a 120 watt panel. A voltmeter is the easy to way to tell.

Yes you are correct!

My electrical knowledge wouldn’t fill a thimble...

Eddie
KO4CPL

#5 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 01 March 2020 - 02:20 PM

Most straight forward way is with a multimeter.   Put the voltmeter on the DC volts setting and measure the output from the panel - if it says something like 20V then the red lead is on the positive terminal, if it says -20V then the red lead is on the negative terminal.  

Thanks Rando..

both leads are black..Here is a better link to the wire I have..

https://overlandsola...oated-extension

Eddie
KO4CPL

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 01 March 2020 - 03:19 PM

Thanks Rando..

both leads are black..Here is a better link to the wire I have..

https://overlandsola...oated-extension

Wire color doesn't matter.  Like the guys said, get an inexpensive meter, put the panels in the sun, and stick the meter's probes onto the ends of that wire... determine which way around you have to connect them.. +ve (red) meter wire to which end of the solar panel's output (the shiny protruding side (outy) or the inny ... where the metal bits are protected by the plastic) to get the meter to show a +ve voltage.

Make sense?

#7 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 01 March 2020 - 05:16 PM

Wire color doesn't matter.  Like the guys said, get an inexpensive meter, put the panels in the sun, and stick the meter's probes onto the ends of that wire... determine which way around you have to connect them.. +ve (red) meter wire to which end of the solar panel's output (the shiny protruding side (outy) or the inny ... where the metal bits are protected by the plastic) to get the meter to show a +ve voltage.

Make sense?

I had to laugh!

Now you’re explaining it in terms that I can understand..

I’ll try it in a bit....

Eddie
KO4CPL

#8 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 01 March 2020 - 06:35 PM

Get one of these: https://www.harborfr...gg_q=multimeter

Although not what I use for important stuff, it is fine for simple tasks. I keep one in the camper, one in the boat, and another in a tool bag so that I don’t have to guess.  Also, no worries if it grows legs. Sometimes, they are on sale for about $3.00

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#9 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 01 March 2020 - 10:41 PM

Okey Dokey!

I think I have it figured out...

Using the “instructions” from you folks I opened the panel up and laid it up against my Jeep. Now it has been somewhat overcast today and the panel was not laid flat and perpendicular to the sun but I was able to determine the polarity of the wires. 

At first it was reading about -5.0 A but when I reversed the leads it flipped to 5.0A +/-!

Does that sound about right for a foldable panel in less than perfect conditions?

Eddie
KO4CPL

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 02 March 2020 - 01:49 AM

Sure does, Now don't forget to mark them!

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users