Photo
- - - - -

Lightly used 3/4 ton for Hawk - Any recs?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Smooth B

Smooth B

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 05 March 2020 - 02:00 AM

We’re looking to upsize from a 1st gen Tundra/ Hawk combo to gain more payload. Eventually, we hope to have the camper/ truck combo live together although for the next 6 months or so it will likely be a daily driver and we’ll do the on/off thing. 

no preference Ford/Chevy/GMC/Ram

we are thinking:

2015 or newer

60-70k miles or less

Gas (not going to tow or put enough miles on it to justify addtl maintenance and fuel costs)

This may just be marketing BS, but the coil sprung Ram seems like it could be the more pleasant ride unloaded. 

Anyone either make a similar purchase recently or own this vintage truck that has any advice on a great platform to drop our Hawk into?

Most miles will be highway getting to cool spots but definitely would like to maintain some decent 4wd ability at least similar to our 1st gen Tundra double Cab TRD (limited slip differential)

Thanks in advance!

Smooth B

PNW

#2 Adventurer

Adventurer

Advanced Member

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 12:56 AM

Ford F350, Super Cab, Shortbed, 4x4, rear locker.  Buy it.  Do it.  Do it.  Just do it.

#3 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 02:52 AM

I moved from a 06 Tundra access cab with a Hawk to a lightly used(41k) 2012 F250 super cab 4x4 gasser, I am quite pleased with the resulting rig. If you can find the same truck in a 350 configuration, I'd say go for it.  Be sure to check out the cab to frame bushings on the Fords as they are a known for early failure.

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,947 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 06 March 2020 - 03:03 AM

I'd not get a "short box" if that means shorter than 6' 6".  You want the Hawk to fit into the bed completely for CG/handling reasons.

#5 Smooth B

Smooth B

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 06 March 2020 - 05:04 AM

Two F-350 recommendations...thanks!

#6 Adventurer

Adventurer

Advanced Member

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 05:14 AM

A Ford short box is 6.75'.

#7 Smooth B

Smooth B

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 12 March 2020 - 12:57 AM

I’ve looked at a few 2011-2016 F-250s that are looking pretty good, esp with payload around 2900 lbs. 

I had a couple follow on ?s:

- The two I’ve seen have the plastic bed liners/inserts. Should these get ripped out? I’ve had LineX on my Tundra and it just looks so much better. It just seems messy to install the eye bolts through that liner. 

- I think I saw some older threads suggesting that I might need some type of riser between the bed and the bottom of the Hawk to get sufficient clearance over the cab. Can anyone verify?  Does a sheet of blue or pink closed cell insulation really do the trick?  That seems like a really cheap and light solution. 

Thanks again in advance. I’m really looking forward to moving up to the 3/4 ton club. 

Cheers. 

#8 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 12 March 2020 - 02:30 AM

A Ford short box is 6.75'.

Agreed 6.75' on an F250/350

It's 6.5' on a F150

#9 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 08:16 PM

I built a riser out of treated 2x2s, kind of a ladder frame. leaves about 2-2.5" between the cab roof and camper.  I wouldn't use sheet foam or anything solid that doesn't allow for air circulation to avoid rotting out the floor of the camper

#10 Smooth B

Smooth B

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 21 March 2020 - 12:03 AM

Well, we pulled the trigger on a 2016 F250 w 6.2L gas. Now comes the fun part!

We need to transfer the eyebolts/backing plates over from the Tundra. Same goes for the plug in the bed and wiring. 

Is there a spot on WTW with guides/measurements for the above outfitting prep?  I know I can replicate what we had before but it’d be nice to have any schematics or bed measurements for our Hawk. 

Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users