7 replies to this topic

#1 jdodd

jdodd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 07:13 AM

Hi,

I'm about a month into fixing up a 7' cab over camper from the late 70s or early 80s. I didn't realize until after I bought it that I don't fit in the cab over bed. I'm 6' and can only lie down if I lie diagonally. All documentation I come across shows Alaskans having a wider body than this one. Curious if anyone knows of a narrower model, or if this was a custom build? 

Also does anyone know of a way to date the camper? I have the serial number, but can not find any other date marking.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20200306_154339_01_01.jpg

#2 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 12:43 PM

I think I've heard that at one time, Alaskan's were built in a couple of different factories in different states.  It's never been clear to me if they were all owned by the same company, or if one or more different companies were building them under license.  If the later, that might explain the difference you've found.

It really bugs me that no one has written a good book on the history of Alaskan Campers the way they have of, say, Airstream Trailers.  I wonder if the current factory would cooperate with a writer wanting to do so, as in making factory records and old photographs available.  You could e-publish it for Kindles and not have to deal with a paper and ink press at all.

Anyway, if you wanted to lie front to back instead of across the width, you could put a piece of 3/4 plywood directly on the cab floor, sticking into the rest of the camper.  How far into the camper would it have to stick?  Just a thought . . .

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#3 Denver Alaskan

Denver Alaskan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 01:51 AM

Hi jdodd:

In 1998, and very likely in a few preceding and following years, Alaskan offered two mini-cabover campers for mini trucks, such as the Ford Ranger and many smaller imported trucks. Their existence is documented in the 1998 Price List following the 1998 sales booklet just posted at the very bottom of this thread:

https://www.wanderth...ny-information/

The only dimensions given in the Price List is length of the mini-camper's base, either 7' 6" or 8' 6". These 2 mini-cabovers respectively weighed 230 and 165 pounds less than the standard 8' cabover. I imagine they were also narrower than the standard 84" width of the full size 8' cabover.

Measure the length of your cabover's base that sits on the trucks floor, then measure its width and post those numbers here. They might establish that your Alaskan is a mini-cabover designed for a mini-truck.   

Your cabover certainly looks narrower than the standard 84" width of full size Alaskan campers, and I'm interested in learning what its length and width are. Thanks,

Denver Alaskan.

#4 jdodd

jdodd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 01:06 AM

Thanks for the info. It does seem like it would fit well on a smaller truck. The length of the base is just about 7', I'll have to measure the width tomorrow, I want to say the base width is 32". I have it on a 1978 Ford F100 right now, and I had lift it 5" off the truck bed, so the cab over part would clear the cab.

Here's a couple pics. Almost ready to go camping. I lowered the interior cabinets closest to the bed and made a removable piece (not pictured) that bridges the two cabinets extending the bed so we can sleep parallel with the camper.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg

#5 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 25 May 2020 - 02:44 PM

Clean looking camper. Looks like you have a real nice piece of history there.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,291 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:21 PM

That's nice and clean inside.Did you do the work?

A lot different then your first posted picture.

Interesting to find out it's history.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 jdodd

jdodd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 02:41 AM

Well looks like this is a Mini Cabover. Fits nicely on a 2001 Mazda B4000 (Ford Ranger). I put airbags on the truck, just need to add a rear sway bar. Went camping last week, no problem getting over Ebbetts pass (hwy 4) in CA.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20200828_133245250.jpg

#8 jdodd

jdodd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 02:50 AM

pics

Attached Thumbnails

• 4321432143.jpg
  • 11IMG_20200824_091046589_HDR.jpg

Edited by jdodd, 04 September 2020 - 02:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users