39 replies to this topic

#1 RAB

RAB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSouth Lake Tahoe,CA

Posted 10 March 2020 - 02:52 AM

I'm in the process of switching out my 2008 FWC iotato to a blue sea # 7622 ARC. Does the + wire from the iota go to house terminal of the ARC? Does the truck battery wire relocate to the other terminal of the ARC? There is also a plug end from the iota , that I assume plugs into the receptacle behind the drawers. Does this ARC allow power to house,and charging capabilities, if plugged into shore power?

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 11 March 2020 - 04:00 AM

I'm confused.  The Iota is a battery charger that runs off of shore power to charge your camper batteries.  The 7622 ACR is a relay that protects your battery bank(s) from draining each other by disconnecting them if either the camper or truck batteries get too discharged.  Most of us have BOTH devices or equivalents.

Edited by Vic Harder, 11 March 2020 - 04:00 AM.

#3 esimmers

esimmers

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 04:25 AM

As Vic says, it's not clear what RAB is hoping to accomplish by "switching out" the Iota (a shore-powered battery charger and power converter) to a Blue Sea 7622 automatic charging relay (ACR). They serve two entirely different purposes. The Iota inputs 120 volt AC from shore power and exports 12 volts DC to charge the camper's house battery and power the camper's 12 systems (lights, water pump, refrigerator control panel, etc.). The ACR simply sits in the connection between the truck's battery and the camper battery to prevent one of those batteries from discharging the other.

In any event, the ACR wiring diagram <http://assets.bluese...ram/ML-ACRs.jpg> shows that the wire from the truck's starting battery connected through a fuse to Terminal B on the ACR; Terminal A on the ACR is connected through another fuse to the + pole of the battery.

Does that help?

#4 Ruck_and_Roll

Ruck_and_Roll

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado

Posted 11 March 2020 - 05:09 PM

@RAB, did you mean the Surepower 1314/1315?

2021 Ford XL SuperCrew HD Payload Pkg

2008 FWC Hawk

Western Colorado, USA

Instagram: @lukeyfiasco

#5 RAB

RAB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 08:36 PM

Ok. In keeping the iota, does the original wiring stay the same? Then hooking up the ARC , One side to truck battery, other side to camper battery, both positives?
Thanks for all the help guys.
Rich

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 02:47 AM

You have the 7622 - Info here - https://www.bluesea....l_-_12V_DC_500A

Did you get the remote switch?  If not, the wiring is much simpler than this diagram shows - http://assets.bluese...ram/ML-ACRs.jpg

Instructions here - http://assets.bluese...0180180-005.pdf

But, in answer to your question, yes.  PLUS the small black wire goes to ground.

#7 RAB

RAB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 06:01 PM

I did get the remote toggle switch. I haven't started the wiring, waiting for more parts and nicer weather. I'm not sure of the wiring for the remote switch. I may contact you later on that. Thanks for the help Vic.
Rich

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 07:30 PM

I did get the remote toggle switch. I haven't started the wiring, waiting for more parts and nicer weather. I'm not sure of the wiring for the remote switch. I may contact you later on that. Thanks for the help Vic.
Rich

Rich, that remote switch baffled me for a while too.   :P  :blink:  :rolleyes:   I haven't added that part to my current build yet, but if travel plans are on hold because of covid, i could be tackling that again soon.  Timely question.

Maybe we could get the mods to change the title of this thread to be more about "Replacing SurePower with BlueSea" or something like that?

#9 Ruck_and_Roll

Ruck_and_Roll

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado

Posted 16 March 2020 - 03:16 PM

The above discussion actually brings up another question I had between the differences in the Surepower 1314/1315  (I'm assuming to Stock 2008 FWC) wiring. 

My Surepower was wired like this

-"Aux Battery" had a 10 AWG wire going to the IOTA and another going to the house(camper) battery

-"Main Battery" had a 10 AWG going to the plug, then to the truck battery/alternator

I've looked at the wiring diagrams and a lot of posts refer "to just kept wiring the same." 

So mine is currently wired with Terminal A (to house distribution and to house battery-two separate wires) and Terminal B (truck).  Anyone see a problem with this?

2021 Ford XL SuperCrew HD Payload Pkg

2008 FWC Hawk

Western Colorado, USA

Instagram: @lukeyfiasco

#10 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 04:11 PM

The above discussion actually brings up another question I had between the differences in the Surepower 1314/1315  (I'm assuming to Stock 2008 FWC) wiring. 

My Surepower was wired like this

-"Aux Battery" had a 10 AWG wire going to the IOTA and another going to the house(camper) battery

-"Main Battery" had a 10 AWG going to the plug, then to the truck battery/alternator

I've looked at the wiring diagrams and a lot of posts refer "to just kept wiring the same." 

So mine is currently wired with Terminal A (to house distribution and to house battery-two separate wires) and Terminal B (truck).  Anyone see a problem with this?

If I visualize this correctly:

1) the former "main battery" connector from the surepower is now "terminal b"... and heads off towards the truck and its alternator/batteries

2) the former "Aux battery" connector from the surepower is now "terminal a" ... and is connected to the +ve output of the IOTA charger and also to the +ve terminal on your camper battery.

Right?  

Sounds fine to me.  Odd to use the ACR/Surepower isolator as a terminal block that way.  Not the way I would physically do it, but fine logically and in practice.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Iota, blue sea, dual battery charging systems

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users