#21 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 24 March 2020 - 06:44 PM

I’m trying to get this picture to upload in the proper direction

I see a problem, potentially caused by the dual connection on the ACR terminals  That can and probably has, confused you.

If i read this right, the left connector on the ACR goes to the +ve buss bar and from there to the 12V fuse box. AND to the +ve terminal of the camper battery via a 60A breaker.  That's fine as is, but it would be cleaner if the wire from the 60A breaker went to the +ve buss bar so that there is just the one wire coming to the ACR from the camper side.

Then, on the right side of the ACR you go to the Truck battery via a 60A breaker, AND ALSO directly to the +ve terminal on the camper battery.  That last connection is the problem = it totally bypasses your ACR as it directly links the two +ve terminals of the ACR.

#22 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:10 PM

Here are some suggestions.  See drawing.

I noticed you have drawn a battery monitor?  What brand?  Does it have a shunt?  This will change all the negatives to the shunt before reaching the negative post on the camper battery.

I would home run the ACR and MPPT outputs straight to the camper battery.

The Iota wires are bi directional that carry voltage to the camper battery and back to the camper use. Install a kill switch.

image001.jpg

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#23 RAB

RAB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSouth Lake Tahoe,CA

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:11 PM

I’ve eliminated the bus bars, and went directly to the battery post for better connections. Check out the new picture

Attached Thumbnails

• 3A576FE6-A7B9-448F-AED5-4411F3155B0B.jpeg

#24 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 09:56 PM

Almost there. 

Since you are using a shunt, you need to have the negative bus bar taking all the grounds (not the PV panel -ve though) and aggregating them.  Then go from that -ve bus bar to the load end of the shunt, and attach the "battery only" end of the shunt to the -ve post of your camper battery.

#25 RAB

RAB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 11:59 PM

Hi guys. This is the third version now. I’m hanging in there. What do you think?
Aili Battery Monitor

Attached Thumbnails

• 068D5326-5148-42D3-AB8D-268CB0CE0240.jpeg
  • C03A823C-6C4C-4DA9-B144-44C1E53E5CEC.jpeg

#26 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:22 AM

Another suggestion.  See diagram.

image001.jpg

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#27 RAB

RAB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:32 AM

Ok. I'm so close. MPPT negative to negative buss bar. The inverter has an external switch. Do I still need a kill switch? The original FWC kill switch , still works off the camper battery connection.

#28 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:40 AM

Ok. I'm so close. MPPT negative to negative buss bar. The inverter has an external switch. Do I still need a kill switch? The original FWC kill switch , still works off the camper battery connection.

No, you don't need a separate kill switch if there is a switch already for the inverter.

Yes, good idea to take the MPPT -ve directly to the buss bar.

I'm not sure why Patrick wants that wire going from the inverter to the 12v fuse box.  I wouldn't do that.

#29 RAB

RAB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:50 AM

Sounds great , yippee.i will send pictures when completed. Thanks Vic and Patrick for my education, I couldn't have done it without you.
Rich

#30 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:52 AM

I can only see what is drawn.  If you have a kill switch...great.

"I'm not sure why Patrick wants that wire going from the inverter to the 12v fuse box.  I wouldn't do that."

This is standard for FWC to feed off the Iota to the fuse block and provide camper power.  His drawing does not show how the fuse block is getting power.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Iota, blue sea, dual battery charging systems

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users