• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 11 March 2020 - 01:58 AM

I looked through the posts but didn't find what I was looking for,  I found more on the 3.5L.  Anyhow... I'm looking at a F150 regular cab short box and was wondering what you guys/girls think of the 2.7L Ecoboost.  The 3.5L is not an option in the regular cab short box.

I drove both the 5.0 and the 2.7L and I was extremely impressed with the 2.7L but it's tough to tell what it would be like with a 1400lb camper on full-time.

Anybody using the 2.7L as a daily driver with the camper on full time.  What are your thoughts.  I know I'd be happy with the 5.0L but the 2.7L is $3000 less and supposedly more fuel efficient.  I'm not sure if that's the case with a camper on it full time though.

I'm a very conservative driver.  I drive around 60-65 miles per hour on the highway and I have a fairly soft foot in the city.

#2 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 11 March 2020 - 03:33 PM

I have a 5.0, it is an awesome engine, I have not had any issues with it even at 10K' passes out west.

I know several people with the 2.7 Ecoboost and they all are happy with them and they seem to get 4-5mpg higher running empty in suburban driving, ~20mpg compared to 16-17mpg.

My mileage with the camper on is 14-16mpg.

People with the 3.5 Ecoboost tend to get lower mpg's then the 5.0.

I like the idea of forced induction at higher elevation. I also have given up the idea that you shouldn't rev an engine.

the small V6 will want to be reved higher to make the power under load, the 5.0 likes to rev also. Keep it serviced and it will outlast your desire to keep the truck.

I don't know how the F150 10 speed affects the feel and performance.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 11 March 2020 - 05:01 PM

Bill, a big factor is that you intend to have the Hawk on full time.  That little turbo will be working hard and fuel economy will not be anywhere near the EPA numbers.  Also not as bad as the folks who post numbers for towing.

Mind you, you did't say you cared about MPG.

#4 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 12 March 2020 - 01:28 AM

I think I'm pretty much sold on the V8.  Driven conservatively I think it would be comparable in fuel economy to the 2.7L with a 1400lb Hawk on full time.  The V8 does give the benefit of more payload and the option of the snow plow prep package (Canada version is different than the US site).

The Snow Plow Prep Package includes:

• Preselected springs/GAWR (rating varies by model/engine)
• Extra-heavy-duty alternator
• Snow Plow Mode is activated by a dash-mounted button that temporarily turns off non-essential

I'm curious as to what happens with the springs but from what I ready you can add about a 500lb plow to the front of an F-150 and a 1000lb plow to a super duty.

Edited by Bill D, 12 March 2020 - 02:28 AM.

#5 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 01:58 AM

I can't help thinking that a small turbocharged engine isn't going to have the lifespan of a larger engine that's just loafing along much of the time.  Wonder if anyone is actually getting 200,000 miles from something like the 2.7 Ecoboost?

Know I'm dating myself here, but I actually owned a turbocharged Corvair back in the sixties.  That engine was a bit of a disaster . . .

The first turbocharged street motorcycle came with an unequivocal guarantee.  If you broke it in two, you owned both halves. :cool:

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#6 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 12 March 2020 - 03:40 AM

I'm curious as to what happens with the springs but from what I ready you can add about a 500lb plow to the front of an F-150 and a 1000lb plow to a super duty.

Me too. I wouldn't expect too much tho. I've read that particular wording "preselected springs" has been known to result in the same spring that would have be used without the package on some Ford light trucks configurations.

FWIW here's a US market F150 plow doc showing some weights across the line up.

If desired s/b able to order a higher rated spring from dealer parts. I've done that with my SD, was pretty easy to install. Or aftermarket with or without a shock. Or talk to that local spring shop ... <_<

Not to say I wouldn't order SPP just for the upgraded alt.

#7 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 12 March 2020 - 04:14 PM

I'm closing in on two years of ownership of a 2015 F150 Crew Cab short bed 4WD with the 2.7 liter twin turbo V-6.  I've put 30,000 miles on it since purchasing it used with 72,000.  While I have not driven it with a pop-up camper, I have driven it about three thousand miles towing a pop-up camper which weighs in at around 2,750 lbs wet.  

The "little sewing machine" engine is simply amazing.  It does NOT require high revs to produce torque.  The high point of its torque curve is 2,750 rpm.  At 70 mph in 6th gear (a 0.69/1.00 overdrive) it turns a shade under 2,000 rpm so is well within the sweet spot of its torque curve.  Empty, it never downshifts out of 6th on moderate hills at 70 mph and when towing it normally downshifts to 5th (but I can lock it into 6th and feather the throttle and just sacrifice a bit of speed towards the tops of the hills, which I normally do).  Mileage is 20.0 to 23.0 mpg driving moderately and 19.0-20.5 at higher speed (72-77 mph).  I don't tow at over 68-70 mph and the mileage is consistently 14.75 to 16.50 towing.  All of my towing has been in the summer months with the A/C cranked up.

When I bought it I kept my old F350 diesel as a family backup and to tow with.  On a whim, after getting a feel for how torque-y it is, I towed the camper to the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains here in NC.  It did so well then and since that I am strongly considering using it to tow the camper to Montana in August for what will be a 6,000 mile round trip.

And I'll be quick to add my son bought a new 2018 F150, identical cab/bed, 4WD, with the 5.0 and the 10 speed automatic.  He's a leadfoot and the 5.0 sound gets good to him, but he reports empty Interstate mileage nearly equal to mine when, and if, he keeps his foot out of it.  

As far as I'm concerned, you can't go wrong with the little V6 or the 5.0.  And FWIW, mine takes off like a scalded cat when I choose to nail the throttle. Proof positive of the adage "you buy horsepower but you drive torque".

Foy

#8 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 12 March 2020 - 05:08 PM

I have driven it about three thousand miles towing a pop-up camper which weighs in at around 2,750 lbs wet.  

Mileage is 20.0 to 23.0 mpg driving moderately and 19.0-20.5 at higher speed (72-77 mph).  I don't tow at over 68-70 mph and the mileage is consistently 14.75 to 16.50 towing.

A small, low profile trailer but still very nice numbers. Plus you'll have reserve power for when you want it.

Sounds like a winner for your application.

#9 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 12 March 2020 - 06:58 PM

Know I'm dating myself here, but I actually owned a turbocharged Corvair back in the sixties.  That engine was a bit of a disaster . . .

That Monza Spyder could really scoot! Sorry...back on topic.

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#10 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 12 March 2020 - 09:09 PM

A small, low profile trailer but still very nice numbers. Plus you'll have reserve power for when you want it.

Sounds like a winner for your application.

It's a pop-up but of a hardside A-Frame variety.  Folded down it's just under 5'6' above the pavement, in part due to riding on 15" AT tires mounted to a torsion axle.  It's marketed as an "off highway" camper, and it does OK in that capacity.  We selected a "TH" model so it's got a 5'6" platform forward of the box and ladder type ramps so it can accommodate an ATV sideways.  All of which to say it may be a popup but it comes in at close to 3,000 lbs wet (w/out ATV), is 19' long, catches a bit more air than you'd think, and rolls on less than efficient rubber.  And the F150 tows it very, very well.

Foy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users