164 replies to this topic

#141 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:14 PM

I just feel travel will be restricted for a while to come.

We'll see how that goes here in the USA.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#142 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:04 PM

The highway is crowded with huge fifth wheels, travel trailers, boats, motor bikes, vehicles loaded to the gills. It looks like a usual Memorial Day weekend to us up here. Even the gas station knocked the prices up to holiday levels. The Safeway parking lot is packed with rigs. No social distancing, no face masks.

Where are they going to camp? The campgrounds are closed. I guess they'll just cut the locks, tear down the signs, and move in like last weekend.

Looks like we cannot use any of our local services for the next four days and we'll be sure to look both ways before crossing any road on our local walks.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#143 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:51 PM

Ski3pin. Where are you located and for real ... people cut chains to enter illegally?! That is un- American. Breaks my heart.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#144 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:20 PM

Ski3pin. Where are you located and for real ... people cut chains to enter illegally?! That is un- American. Breaks my heart.

Crystal Basin Recreation Area in the Eldorado National Forest. Yes, people cut a gate open to a favorite campground on a large reservoir. Others drove cross country into meadows and camped.

Breaks my heart too. What breaks my heart more is seasoned agency folks shrugging their shoulders and telling me this is usual public behavior they see all the time.

Now you know why we always try to be a long ways away from this beautiful place on weekends. Except, of course, when we are all told no non-essential travel.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#145 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:36 PM

Breaks my heart too. What breaks my heart more is seasoned agency folks shrugging their shoulders and telling me this is usual public behavior they see all the time.

Someone needs to be in control here.Or it's anarchy.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#146 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:51 PM

This. This is why we are staying home for now. The plight of the Commons. Used by many protected by few or none.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#147 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:54 PM

Wow. What ever happen to respect for the rules? They are there to protect...I sound like a rube but hey It is that or what?

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#148 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:54 PM

I want to think that the rules are not being adhered to is buy by the minority,

but get all the "press".

It does seem crazy out there though.

Yes stay at home until it's safer.

Frank

#149 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 24 May 2020 - 12:19 AM

We live in a vacation area as well and the traffic today was insane, perhaps more so than other years past.

I think it’s a combination of cabin fever and the state opening the flood gates a bit but the amount of people entering our county was much more than I expected. We’re staying home this weekend and enjoying the mostly pleasant weather after a week of torrential rain...

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#150 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 24 May 2020 - 03:13 AM

Posted this elsewhere, this may be a better fit; “The low woods and desert around here out of the snow have been LOADED with campers/mtn bikers/vanlifers/snowshoers/hikers/fishermen and women; and who knows what else since the lockdown began.” Looks like any other Memorial Day Weekend here, maybe worse. I have not heard about vandalism of sites, probably because a lot of campgrounds around here are little, out of the way sites that aren’t set up for hard closure with gates and such. That and dispersed camping/general access to the public domain was not ever closed, and some of what was is open or opening soon. We have had the other usual carnage though, a drowning at a lake, stranded climber rescue at Mt Hood, drunk driver ended up in the Crooked River among others.

First time in a long time I haven’t had to work the holiday weekend, I’m enjoying it from the comforts of home.

Whatever you choose to do are not do, be careful with your health exposure and otherwise.

Edited by LuckyDan, 24 May 2020 - 03:20 AM.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users