164 replies to this topic

#151 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 24 May 2020 - 06:54 PM

We live in a vacation area as well and the traffic today was insane, perhaps more so than other years past.

I think it’s a combination of cabin fever and the state opening the flood gates a bit but the amount of people entering our county was much more than I expected. We’re staying home this weekend and enjoying the mostly pleasant weather after a week of torrential rain...

Just saw on the morning news some video of Myrtle Beach,looks like a zoo with people everywhere.

Oh well I guess you play the odds.

Not for me at home works.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#152 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:59 AM

If Myrtle Beach was sunny & the visitors were not completely slathered with SPF 80, they were increasing their Vitamin D level which improves one’s immune system. Sunshine destroys Covid-19.  If they, also, either kept a safe distance from each other or wore a mask, and kept moving, the benefits may well have exceeded the risks as they improved their emotional well being by exercising in a pleasant environment.  

Stay at home or go to the beach. Choosing what to do with our allotted time is a personal decision. 

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#153 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 27 May 2020 - 06:43 PM

Dang, I was getting ready head up to the Modoc NF ( County/Fed CG's are   open there now, some BLM here is open, Nevada and Oregon are locked up) at the end of the week and the Lassen County Health Dept.Web. site just announced its first 4 positive   Covid 19  tests for locals on Tuesday and just closed down things here again (after just opening things up).  They also said that there were 5 non-local positive tests.

I After reading the alert, I headed down town to get some meds and other things I needed right now, and saw my barber was sort of open-so I stopped and she let me in.  She was closing up (she is 65 and also not taking any chances) after just officially opening up for the first time in a while. She said she had heard from one of the CO's there that some of the cases were out at the state prison.  I guess I'll load the truck up, finish up more yard work  and wait and see wait happens next. As a side note, getting a hair cut while wearing a face mask is an interesting team experience-another day in this new world of Covid-19!!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#154 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 May 2020 - 11:15 PM

With over 100,000 known dead in the USA from this virus in about 3 months, it strikes me as too early to say the worst is over and we can all go play now. YMMV.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#155 Stray Dog

Stray Dog

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCanon City, Colorado

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:15 PM

I guess my mileage does vary.

When the country was locked down we knew little to nothing about this disease.  After several months we know a lot about it.  We know who is at risk and who is at very little risk. We know where risks are high and where they aren't.  All of the country is at some phase of re-opening.  The country needs to open.  There are concerns now that more may die of the lock up effects than of the disease.

We have all learned how to protect ourselves and others.  Use those guidelines.  In areas other than concentrated city environments, get outside in the fresh air and sunshine.  Boondocking (we call it Free-grazing) somewhere, anywhere, is healthier than Walmart or any of the other big box places who were excluded from the lock-downs.  Travel to places near home or farther away if you desire.

Buy fuel, groceries, camper supplies and equipment.  Go places.  Help the economy.  This disease will pass.  If you are in one of the target groups, make your own choices about exposure.  I have.  I am 72 and I'm through sitting around listening to model projections that are not reliable, media reports that focus only on the negative and community lock-downs of little to no value in the avoidance of this disease.

#156 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 28 May 2020 - 10:15 PM

I spent a little while making limoncello this afternoon. Followed this you tube approach: 

Basically 10 washed organic lemons, peeled, juiced (no seeds) and a fifth of Everclear. Now I only have to wait a month, and shake it every day. Then pour it through a cheese cloth, add a cup and a half of organic filtered honey, bottle and store in the freezer until wanted. That's it!

This is my third time with this formulation -- it is a welcome treat on a hot summer evening all around the neighborhood.

And maybe in a month or so, it will be safe to go venturing out. I look forward to us sipping this while watching the sunset and talking about the day's adventures.

Edited by AWG_Pics, 28 May 2020 - 10:31 PM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#157 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,536 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 29 May 2020 - 02:39 AM

Lemoncello is tasty stuff :P

I am haunted by waters

#158 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,256 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 11 June 2020 - 08:28 PM

U.S. Forest Service 

Eldorado National Forest 

100 Forni Road 

Placerville, CA 95667 

530-303-2412

www.fs.usda.gov/eldorado

f13f1819-ace3-4afb-8bfb-7ffbe3ac6671.png

News Release

For Immediate Release

June 11, 2020

Media Contacts:

Jennifer Chapman, (530) 957-9660

www.facebook.com/EldoradoNF

Twitter:@EldoradoNF

Eldorado National Forest Recreation Update: June 11, 2020

Developed campgrounds begin to open on Friday

PLACERVILLE, Calif. - The Eldorado National Forest is increasing forest access for the public by opening additional developed recreational opportunities across the forest, including 20 developed campgrounds and 2 other designated camping areas that will open on Friday, June 12 (see list below). Visitors are encouraged to check the forest website and social media pages for the most up-to-date information on what is open so that you can plan your visit. You can also call your local ranger station during normal business hours Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

We continue to recommend that you not travel long distances to recreate. If you or anyone in your household is feeling sick, please remain at home and plan your trip for another time. All visitors should practice self-sufficiency during your visits to national forests. Recreating responsibly will help ensure that expanded access to recreational facilities, services, and opportunities continues.

Responsible recreation practices should be maintained at all times, including:

• Maintaining at least six feet distancing from others.

• Do not gather in groups and please follow the latest guidance from officials.

• Communicate with others. Alert trail users of your presence and step aside to let others pass.

• Pack out your trash and leave with everything you bring in and use.

• All services may not be available, so please plan accordingly.

The Eldorado National Forest will continue to phase in opening of facilities and services as federal, state and county policies, facility preparations and conditions on the ground allow. 

The forest is beginning to open developed campgrounds for individual campsites that provide the opportunity for overnight camping for families or members of the same household. Twenty-two camping locations will open June 12th with additional developed campgrounds opening over the next several weeks pending site preparation and conditions on the ground. 

Group campgrounds will remain closed.

Visitors should plan ahead for their trip as there may be changes from what you typically experience at your favorite campground. Some campsites may not be available in order to allow for proper social distancing between sites and some shared areas may be closed. Please bring all necessary cleaning and sanitization supplies, such as hand sanitizer or soap and a plastic table cloth for picnic tables that can be disposed of or taken back home for washing. Some activities may not be available, such as group picnic areas, swimming beaches or amphitheaters.

For those that have reserved campsites in advance, if the campground is not able to be opened, customers will be notified via Recreation.gov and will receive a refund. Some campgrounds are opening earlier than expected. Reservations will be honored if the reservation holder did not already cancel.

We thank you for your patience up until this point and ask for your continued patience during this transition period.

Please be aware that many of our campgrounds do not typically open until late May or June, even without the challenges associated with COVID-19, due to winter snow and the associated preparation of the sites for the season.  

Campgrounds

The following campgrounds are open effective June 12th, 2020:

Highway 88 Corridor

o  PiPi CG

o  Capps Crossing CG

o  Middle Fork Cosumnes CG

o  Pardoes Point CG

o  Sugar Pine Point CG

o  White Azalea CG

o  Mokelumne River CG

Highway 50 Corridor

o  Gray Rock Dispersed Camping Area

o  Sand Flat CG

o  China Flat CG

o  Silver Fork CG

o  Lovers Leap CG 

Crystal Basin Recreation Area

o  Icehouse CG

o  Fashoda CG

o  Gerle Creek CG

o  Wench Creek CG

o  West Point CG

o  Yellowjacket CG

o  Wolf Creek CG

o  Loon Lake CG

o  Loon Lake Equestrian (part of Loon Lake CG)

o  Sunset CG

Georgetown Vicinity & North

o  Long Canyon Camping Area

Day Use, Trailheads, Boat Ramps and Staging Areas

Day use sites and services continue to expand. Trash removal services remain limited; please pack out all trash and waste. Toilet facilities remain limited; please plan accordingly. For a full list of available day use sites, please visit the forest website.

The safety of our employees and the public will continue to be our number one priority as we closely monitor the situation and implement changes accordingly.

Fire Restrictions

Please be aware that fire restrictions are in effect. Campfires are currently prohibited everywhere the Eldorado National Forest except within the stoves (including grills) and fire rings provided in developed campgrounds and recreations sites that are listed as exempt in the forest order. Please refer to Forest Order 03-20-12 for details. IMPORTANT: Not all developed campgrounds are exempt from fire restrictions. 

It is also important to note that persons with a valid California Campfire Permit are not exempt from these restrictions. However, persons with a valid California Campfire Permit may use a portable campfire pit, stove or lantern, that uses gas, kerosene, jellied petroleum or pressurized liquid fuel, with a shutoff valve in an area that is at least three feet from any flammable materials.

California Campfire Permits can be obtained online here.

We appreciate your cooperation in keeping our national forests and their surrounding communities safe and healthy for everyone’s use.

Our virtual offices are staffed to provide visitor information from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday: 

·      Forest Supervisor’s Office - 530-303-2412

·      Georgetown Ranger District – 530-334-6477

·      Placerville/Pacific Ranger District - 916-500-4712

·      Amador Ranger District – 209-259-3774

###

The U.S.D.A Forest Service is an equal opportunity employer. The mission of the Forest Service is to sustain the health, diversity, and productivity of the nation's forests and grasslands to meet the needs of present and future generations.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#159 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,256 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 11 June 2020 - 10:24 PM

We've also noticed that the Mono Vista RV Park in downtown Lee Vining, Mono County California has reopened.

The California National Forests were/are waiting on when the state and county health departments would go ahead with authorizing campground reopening. This begins June 12. Thus, our local Eldorado National Forest is beginning to open campgrounds.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#160 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 25 June 2020 - 02:27 PM

When Mr. Ski revived this thread earlier today it reminded my that I never posted an end to the saga of our friends who were stranded in Morocco for three months (two months more than they had originally planned on) due to the pandemic.  They got home safely about three weeks ago.  They were able to leave the campground that they were in thanks to the British Embassy.  The Embassy organized a ferry trip for UK citizens from Morocco to Spain and, through a twist of fate Chuck and Barb (our friends) were able to tag along.  Once in Spain they drove directly to Belgium where a friend lives, and then on to Amsterdam to turn in the rented camper van and catch a flight to the US.  It took ten frustrating days to get from the camp in Morocco to their home in Minnesota . . . . quite an ordeal (adventure).

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users