164 replies to this topic

#11 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 15 March 2020 - 03:59 PM

We have tickets for Sri Lanka next month, haven’t made the call to abort just yet, but definitely concerned. As for land based travel, can’t think of a safer place to be but in the boonies with no people. 

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#12 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 04:27 PM

Howdy Sunman

I share your sentiments about the boonies but then again we all want our health care providers to show up for work.

It is a confusing time and hard to know whats the right thing to do.

Social distancing seems very important in the short term and then after that we will see.

I guess even in the city it is important to keep a safe six feet or so from other folks....but we are still humans and need the interaction...best I can suggest is that we all pull together but with six foot spacing on the line.

David Graves

#13 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 15 March 2020 - 05:13 PM

I have experienced the 6' rule at the store, and people avoiding closeness to others where possible. It's quite a change in city life.

One concern about travel to remote areas is unwittingly spreading the virus to an area where there may be very modest health services and where the residents may not have easy resources for transport. I've read a typical scenario is an infected person has no signs of the illness for 7 days.

If the curve gets flattened - which is the intent and hope - presumably the period of time to be cautious will be extended making trip planing more difficult.

In the mean time, I agree, time for some projects around home. :cool:

#14 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 15 March 2020 - 05:42 PM

We were scheduled to present a presentation talk (with images) for out local Sierra Club on Thursday.  Three hours before meeting time we received a phone call letting us know that national all meetings were to be canceled.

Friday Guatemala has extended closure airline travel from Canada and the USA.  Our planned trip there has been cancelled.  Luckily the trip company has re booked for all of us for next year.  

So we are thinking using that time for a road trip to the southwest. Hum......

We all are in territory that we have not experienced before.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#15 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,252 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 15 March 2020 - 06:04 PM

National office canceled all Trout Unlimited meeting and events. Heavy snow here is providing ample social distancing this morning.

Since all schools are closed, I have a bit of concern about how busy some backcountry areas may be if the weather is nice.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#16 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 15 March 2020 - 07:26 PM

Even road travel between countries is dicey at this point.  Out of country travel insurance won't cover you for travel to countries where the govt as issued a travel advisory, and right now, in Canada, that includes the USA.   I am 4 weeks away from our planned trip to Utah, and hoping things calm down in a few weeks!

#17 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 15 March 2020 - 09:52 PM

Also be aware that travel insurance also does not cover “epidemics”, unless you have “cancel for any reason” insurance. 

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#18 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 15 March 2020 - 09:57 PM

And you need to read the fine print for other things they won't cover.

We always get trip insurance for all our foreign travel trips.

I have been told by several people that AAA has some member benefits.

Also the credit card used to purchase your trip may have some benefits also.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#19 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 17 March 2020 - 04:29 PM

Well, up here we're basically being told to stay at home, so that pretty much nixes travel for the a couple few weeks at least. I haven't heard anything specific to domestic car travel but I think the overriding message is to "stay away".

Now we wait and see how much infection comes back with returning travellers.

Stay safe everyone and look out for your community !

#20 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 17 March 2020 - 05:53 PM

As long as we still have the "net", using this site as one of the many possible travel aids is a must. Even tho most of us travel prepared for the worst heading out to the boonies thru here is probably not a good idea  I was going out to the Sheldon WLR and I am glad I waited because Ma Winter has hit!   The NE Cal/NW Nevada  area is a major thru area for folks heading to  and from Reno and points north,east, west and south and into the boonies. So I heard  that  "Truckie" just had its first  case of "C" today; nothing here yet, but we have less people. Us old folks have been told to stay home.

For those still on the move Susanville weather is not to good and  having snow fall in the feet not inches ;most of the passes over the Sierras and Cascades are very problematic as are  the roads .All schools up here will close on Wednesday until at least April but most services are still available here but on 395 to Reno ya need 4WD/snow tires. Snow until Thursday then on and off for the next several days. Eagle Lake and Alturas are  on the northern edge of this storm. Enough weather and medical reports for now!  Happy adventures all!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users