164 replies to this topic

#31 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 19 March 2020 - 03:23 PM

Let's see this from a small town, rural perspective. In their thinking - and reality - every vehicle coming in could be carrying the virus to their door step. As much as the Lady & I would like to head to the backcountry, we are staying home. That is the only sure way to stop the spread. Stay home and limit all contact with others. If we all take this seriously, we can get this whole ordeal behind us in the shortest amount of time. We can do this.

Here's a story from Bishop, CA -

The Pandemic Comes to Bishop

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#32 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 19 March 2020 - 05:47 PM

Some good reading there. Helps me understand the tone of some posts I've been reading lately. 

Already getting cabin fever. Perhaps I'll appreciate nature all the more when we can finally go out again.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#33 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 19 March 2020 - 07:46 PM

Sheltering in place seems like the right thing to do.

Unfortunately there are groups of people who still think it's all a"HOAX"

Sad.Just stay safe.Being retired I guess it's easier to stay out of sight.

Frank 

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#34 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 19 March 2020 - 09:09 PM

Thanks Ski for posting that,  good advice!  Every one of us could be a potential carrier.  If we follow Italy progression pattern, well it does not look good.  We are a third world country and very late to the party being aggressive.

A friend went to Big Bend and turned around as he witnessed the mob of people.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#35 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 09:12 PM

<snip>

A friend went to Big Bend and turned around as he witnessed the mob of people.

There we go, my goodness! Stay home and let's get this over with.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#36 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 03:25 PM

Here's another well written article stating how important it is to just stay home - not go camping - during this pandemic -

American Adventurist

partial quote -

"On Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook we see people essentially bragging that they’re packing their gear and heading out to the most remote location imaginable, typically only a few hours away from their home. While romantic conceptually that’s not practical, nor is it contributing to the health of our community. Let’s take a closer look at why we’re convinced this isn’t a good strategy."

#37 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,573 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 23 March 2020 - 04:03 PM

Thank you for sharing that timely article, the Boy Scout in me says we should always be prepared to go if we are forced to leave home because of an emergency like a fire or other natural disaster, but staying home is the best thing we can do right now...  just be prepared

I am haunted by waters

#38 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 04:51 PM

Thousands left Portland and headed to the coast recently ....in order to all stand around looking at each other.

I understand human nature and the urge to "do something" but the herd instinct in us is usually wrong headed.

We all need to be patient, trust the medical professionals, ignore the scare mongers, and stay at home.

And look at WTW !

David Graves

#39 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 23 March 2020 - 04:59 PM

David,

Stay safe in Astoria. Couldn’t believe how many city folk from Portland Metro went to the coast this past weekend endangering coastal residents, & depleting scarce resources in your supermarkets. Beach photos on news showed far too many people on Oregon small town beaches.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#40 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 05:36 PM

Thinking about sneaking away to a rural county? Here's the message Inyo County, California is getting out to residents and potential visitors -

"Please remember that the State's “Stay at Home” Order Applies to Travel for Recreation"

Here is the notice from the Inyo Sheriff -

Inyo Sheriff and SAR

It is time to stay at home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users