164 replies to this topic

#71 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 05 April 2020 - 02:09 AM

"Times like these I wish we lived in the rural west so we could be camping on dispersed lands with a short drive.  That's not going to happen east of the Mississippi."

I feel your pain. Unfortunately, even us that live out in the west are not able to do that. People that fill up their tanks with gas from a local gas station and then drive somewhere to recreate, say fishing, hiking, camping, etc, are getting harassed. Even if they don't stop at any stores or touch anything out of their own possessions. If you aren't a local, expect to be questioned at least.

It sucks that we all have to stay home for a bit. Trust me, I know. As a cancer patient receiving chemotherapy every two weeks, I'm considered high risk. I retired a little over a month ago with dreams of spending my non treatment time on the road. The only time I have gone anywhere in the last three weeks is to go to my treatments.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#72 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 05 April 2020 - 02:21 AM

Ted congratulations on the retirement!! I missed that.  As my cancer is not life threatening I still worry.  I continual to hope you come out the other side and enjoy retirement.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#73 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 05 April 2020 - 05:40 AM

Ted, I'm so glad you are still trucking long! Ya  have not yet met my new dog.Timber she ;isn't like old Bob, but she wants to meet you and your better half.  We will beat this stuff and hit the woods---soon!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#74 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 05 April 2020 - 01:51 PM

Ted...

Congratulations on retirement and saddened to read you're going through cancer treatment.  We have a good friend also in cancer treatment. She had surgery this past week.  We were worried it would be delayed due to COVID-19, but, our area isn't swamped with cases so she was able to get the procedure. 

I guess, it depends on where you live out west.  We have friends in Santa Fe who are dispersed camping around the state without any issues.  Same for some friends in St. George.

I didn't say such, but, I didn't mean traveling days to disperse camp, just sort of in your extended back yard by a few hours.

Wishing you a quick recovery and return to good health!

Edited by Advmoto18, 05 April 2020 - 01:51 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#75 nivlayoccm

nivlayoccm

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 April 2020 - 03:17 PM

I have always avoided people so no changes there for me. My only concern would be crossing US Canadian Boarder and getting stuck on the other side.

I had the same issue I was in Mexico camping at Puerto Pinasco when the travel restrictions were threatened. I returned home quickly to avoid getting stuck abroad. Some friends have stayed there on the beach and say it's as good a place as any to social distance and the living is cheep. I certainly hope this virus blows over.

#76 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 05 April 2020 - 03:39 PM

I had the same issue I was in Mexico camping at Puerto Pinasco when the travel restrictions were threatened. I returned home quickly to avoid getting stuck abroad. Some friends have stayed there on the beach and say it's as good a place as any to social distance and the living is cheep. I certainly hope this virus blows over.

I have been wondering about all the people that regularly go to Baja each year. Typically they head back north in March. 

#77 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 05 April 2020 - 03:44 PM

Patrick, Smoke, and Advmoto18, thanks for the well wishes. It is a chronic cancer and the chemo is indefinite, but it is allowing me to lead a mostly normal life. I plan to be around long enough to get lots of camping time in.

#78 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 April 2020 - 05:09 PM

Good to hear you can lead a mostly normal life Ted. 

My mom just went to the hospital and they wouldn't even let my dad go with her. Had to be tested for covid-19 before they'd do surgery. With her Alzheimers she doesn't understand whats going on. Sucks me and my brother can't be more supportive but we're fairly high risk to be carriers what with being around a lot of people at work. 

I'd love to go play in the snow but I won't. Camping can wait. Its the least I can do.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#79 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 05 April 2020 - 06:43 PM

At our house we had a rapid learning curve on the shelter in place protocols.  I retired in October and will have to postpone wandering for a while.  Meanwhile I've waxed all my skis and put them away as the season is over- even backcountry is over.  Was going to try to summit Shasta and ski down with my son but that is not likely to be happening.   I did replace brake pads/calipers on a couple vehicles including truck.  Rotated tires/wheels.  Waxed camper and Aerospace 303 on pop-up vinyl.  Still going to pull out fly fishing gear and get it organized and ready.  Going to setup archery range in backyard.  Going to practice photography.  Vegetable garden is underway.  Hopefully won't run out of projects.

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#80 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 05 April 2020 - 07:54 PM

Ted - Congratulations on your retirement!   Perhaps when this current situation is in our rear view mirrors, a bunch of us can meet up somewhere and enjoy each others' company again.  Take good care of yourself.

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users