• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#81 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 05 April 2020 - 08:13 PM

Sorry, I should have added this to my last post.  On March 17th I mentioned on this thread that two friends of ours who where traveling through Europe and northern Africa in a rented camper van were stranded in Morocco, as the borders were closed due to the coronavirus..  Some here on WTW asked to be kept abreast regarding their situation.  They are still there.  They are in a campground with five other vehicles from different parts of the world.  We speak on the phone several times a week.  They are doing well but still have no idea how long it will be before they are allowed to leave, and even then, they don't know whether they will be able to safely get back to Amsterdam, where they are to turn in the van prior to flying home.  I will keep you all posted as this plays out.  

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#82 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 06 April 2020 - 03:42 PM

Thanks Richard.That's a scary situation.

At least they have the camper for a "home".

Keep us posted.

We had a trip to Portugal/Spain planed for right now

but the tour company canceled it back early March.

We rescheduled it for October but thinking ahead

we are going to change it to next April.

Our daughter who lives in Barcelona seems ti think things won't

be back to normal by then.

Don't want to get stuck.Also other country's might not let Americans in.

How are things in your area?

Stay healthy.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#83 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,320 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:10 PM

Good to hear you can lead a mostly normal life Ted. 

My mom just went to the hospital and they wouldn't even let my dad go with her. Had to be tested for covid-19 before they'd do surgery. With her Alzheimers she doesn't understand whats going on. Sucks me and my brother can't be more supportive but we're fairly high risk to be carriers what with being around a lot of people at work. 

I'd love to go play in the snow but I won't. Camping can wait. Its the least I can do.

Craig, that must be so tough with your Mom & Dad. Hope all goes well and as easily as possible for all of you.

Yesterday evening I cleared the road of snow and while working on the berm at the county road, watched the usual long line of jacked up rigs heading out to screw around in the snow.

Bottom line, these people would be a lot better off having law enforcement pull them over and ask them what they're doing rather than a few of the locals dealing with them.

Please stay home everyone.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#84 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:41 PM

Thanks, Frank.  I think your idea of going to Portugal/Spain next April makes the most sense.  Good luck with that.  All is well here and we are staying home.  I have gone to town for supplies on several occasions but this is my wife's 24th day of having no human contact other than me, and those of you who know me know that that's a pretty scary thought :D.  Take care and be safe,  -   Richard

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#85 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 06 April 2020 - 10:10 PM

Ski one thing about "Darwin"not sure you can change it,good or bad.

You need to put the snow tires on the lady's car so the snow will go away.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#86 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 06 April 2020 - 10:35 PM

forestcoronapic-S.jpg

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#87 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 07 April 2020 - 03:49 AM

At our house we had a rapid learning curve on the shelter in place protocols. I retired in October and will have to postpone wandering for a while. Meanwhile I've waxed all my skis and put them away as the season is over- even backcountry is over. Was going to try to summit Shasta and ski down with my son but that is not likely to be happening. I did replace brake pads/calipers on a couple vehicles including truck. Rotated tires/wheels. Waxed camper and Aerospace 303 on pop-up vinyl. Still going to pull out fly fishing gear and get it organized and ready. Going to setup archery range in backyard. Going to practice photography. Vegetable garden is underway. Hopefully won't run out of projects.

Like your style.  Be prepared and hone your skills.  

I'm looking up at that local snow in the mountains too, but staying close to home and trying to keep a construction company afloat.

Edited by Lighthawk, 07 April 2020 - 03:55 AM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#88 4corners44

4corners44

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 10:08 AM

Gunnison County, CO. if you are not a full time permanent resident, GET OUT!  Possible 18 mo. /$5K fine for violators.  Yeah, don't go to your Summer home!

#89 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 08 April 2020 - 05:43 PM

We were at our beach home in Hatteras NC a couple of weeks ago as part of a long planned trip to finish up the repairs from Hurricane Dorian and get the house ready for the summer rental season.

we arrived on a Friday afternoon about 4 pm and at 10pm they closed off all access to the island except for full time residents and critical supplies without any warning.

We were there for about 10 days in all and did have one instance of a local giving us some grief which I thought was odd given how friendly everybody is down there. I just chocked it up to them being afraid...

The thing that bugs me about these orders preventing people from going to other homes they may have is that the locals are free to go to the big cities like Raleigh and Norfolk, do their shopping at Costco with 5000 of their closest friends and return home...

This makes absolutely no sense any way you care to look at it...

_—————-

Ted as one recently retired camper to another congratulations! I hope everything returns back to normal soon and you can get out and enjoy this great country of ours...

_———————-

As far as trip planning you may have read that we were (are?) planning on a 3 month trip to Canada and Alaska this summer. We were planning on leaving mid May but can push that back to the end of May if necessary without having to cancel some of our reservations that we have made. 
I’m reviewing the various modeling sites and monitoring the data and (knock on wood) it looks like things are improving albeit slowly. Most of the models have us looking for things to be in moderately good shape by mid May.

Keeping our fingers crossed!

Edited by smlobx, 08 April 2020 - 05:49 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#90 penner

penner

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 10:56 AM

We had planned on a 6-8 week trip leaving mid July . We are doubting that will even happen . Time will tell but I'm at least hoping for a fall trip somewhere. Stay safe everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users