• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#41 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 23 March 2020 - 12:53 AM

Regarding groceries and supplies, I'm hoping one outcome of all this for our household will be reduced shopping trips in the future. Personally, we shop way too much !

We have always had "extra" in the home but now I have a have a more formal list and am keeping track of "inventory" and usage. If we can really go without shopping for 2-4 weeks I should get a better handle on buying basics for a month at a time.

OTOH we prefer to waste time, not money, so will prob continue buying bits and pieces when they're "on sale !"

#42 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,333 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 23 March 2020 - 01:05 AM

Is playing the banjo like 6' quarantine?

Frank

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

It never ends................... :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#43 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 23 March 2020 - 01:32 AM

teledork asked about crochet ... yes, not me but my wife. She started with knitting - the idea actually seeded from visiting with someone who was knitting while we all sat in their camper. Later she took up crochet. Now with this stay-at-home situation she's working on a large bedspread, made with a blend of new yarn and yarn from an older project pulled apart (not uncommon to reincarnate pieces from what I gather).

On the overlanding aspect, she has crocheted little dolls and stuff, and given out a few on our travels. Found a few pics for eg ...

gallery_351_1390_13043.jpg

gallery_351_1390_25559.jpg

Also, doing crafts in general has been a great conversation entry point on our travels. In the small towns and out of the way places we like to visit there are always crafty, handy, artisan types. Share an interest and you're set !

Case in point our visit to Newfoundland. Talked to lots of regular folks about knitting, crochet, canning, you name it. Went to a small wool store in a hamlet and ended up in the basement where members of a craft guild meet and work. They are big into rug hooking ... "why not try it". Wonderful, salt of the earth folks happy to share. Walked out of there an hour or so later with a pattern (at my insistence) and got really lucky a few weeks after, while in the maritimes, by picking up a used, old style stretch frame off CL.

gallery_351_1390_22461.jpg

Also she does dry felting with wool. The idea being to replicate photos of favourite places we've visited. This was her first go at it.

gallery_351_1390_31640.jpg

We picked up 3 empty picture frames and a bunch of yarn at the start of this shut in.

So yeah, I'm the bum in the family ...

#44 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,333 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 02:46 AM

klahanie, what a wonderful post and sharing these crafts and stories, thank you!

teledork, its wonderful, also, that you are keeping the handcrafts alive. What a shame that someday these skills and talents might be lost.

These posts have made my day, thank you! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#45 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 March 2020 - 11:11 AM

This keeps me busy when I'm stuck inside...

Now that's a Ham Shack!

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#46 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 March 2020 - 11:30 AM

I am still working. The Metro is not shutting down so onward we go. I am being vigilant and because I am also helping an elderly ( few more elderly years than me....) friend I am being extra careful. Wish I was in a small town....the idiots in Baltimore seem to think toilet paper is the cure all......

Be safe out there folks, I love talking to all of you and want to continue to do so!

Camper will be delayed..... give me more time to sort out details:)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#47 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 23 March 2020 - 02:29 PM

My last day at work was last Wednesday, I put myself into self quarantine, being a geeze. Nice thing, no body fishing at the Yuba River right now, and local lakes provide a good social distance !!

#48 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,333 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 02:21 PM

Things to do? How 'bout a relaxing virtual trip to Lapland.  :)

#49 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:05 PM

Thanks ski. Here's a "what you can do with your time" story you might like, one that we came across on our wanderings ...

Driving the Trans Lab we made a side trip to a small, end of the road village called North West River. I'm drawn to explore end of the road places and this one had a museum, so why not ? Located in an old Hudson's Bay Co. building we found inside what one could expect - historical trading post displays - and, luckily, an amiable curator with whom we could have chatted the morning away. Instead, she said, "do you know about the models ? Come, I'll show you." Following her to an adjoining room we came face to face with models like this,

gallery_351_1391_49329.jpg

Dozens of them. A whole room full. Many with what I'll call an automated sequence of music and movement, triggered by pressing a button.

gallery_351_1391_42731.jpg

gallery_351_1391_35312.jpg

gallery_351_1391_52235.jpg

Mind blown, "where... how ..."

The back story goes something like this: US serviceman stationed at nearby airfield in the 50's (then a USAF base, now CFB Goose Bay) explores the area, falls in love with local girl, goes back to the States with new wife. Some time later with help of photos he had taken and recollections and input from his wife he starts to make models of buildings, landmarks, and vignettes of life and traditions in that far away place from a time long passed. The couple revisits her village and brings with them a bunch of his models. Later the couple starts to return every year with a new model or two and the fellow makes repairs to any old ones in need.

That all of this was completely unexpected and amazing made the discovery for us all the more wonderful !

What else this gentleman did in his life I do not know but he is clearly a clever and productive individual. There was an old newspaper clipping in the museum with a pic of him in his workshop. Looked a bit like the photo K6ON posted earlier - I think the fellow was a radio engineer or something.  Anyway, I imagine him as a modest, reflective fellow, dreaming up scenes, sourcing parts, tinkering. Quietly working away on his projects in his time off. And then those long drives north into another country to give back to that little village on the edge of the bush.

Not a bad legacy.

Edit to add a media link:

https://www.cbc.ca/n...story-1.4246252

Edited by klahanie, 24 March 2020 - 08:09 PM.

#50 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:20 PM

understood

Edited by klahanie, 03 April 2020 - 09:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users