• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#51 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:31 PM

Hey David

Your wonderful memory above reminds me of a little town campground on a pond upper Vancouver Island....someone made a pretty small little stone castle near the restrooms....about the size of a wheel barrow.

Closer inspection made me think it had been created to celebrate your Monarch coronation in '53.

David

#52 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:52 PM

David,

Speaking of royalty .... would you like yours back ?

You mentioned part time in Van Isl in another tread. How 'bout a trade ? B)

#53 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 24 March 2020 - 09:57 PM

Very nice models.

Small towns can be a great find.

Thanks for posting.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#54 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:25 PM

This looks like it could be Ted's secret Quarantine stash.

Frank

IMG_4654.jpeg

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#55 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:52 PM

Thanks ski. Here's a "what you can do with your time" story you might like, one that we came across on our wanderings ...

Driving the Trans Lab we made a side trip to a small, end of the road village called North West River. I'm drawn to explore end of the road places and this one had a museum, so why not ? Located in an old Hudson's Bay Co. building we found inside what one could expect - historical trading post displays - and, luckily, an amiable curator with whom we could have chatted the morning away. Instead, she said, "do you know about the models ? Come, I'll show you." Following her to an adjoining room we came face to face with models like this,

gallery_351_1391_49329.jpg

Dozens of them. A whole room full. Many with what I'll call an automated sequence of music and movement, triggered by pressing a button.

gallery_351_1391_42731.jpg

gallery_351_1391_35312.jpg

gallery_351_1391_52235.jpg

Mind blown, "where... how ..."

The back story goes something like this: US serviceman stationed at nearby airfield in the 50's (then a USAF base, now CFB Goose Bay) explores the area, falls in love with local girl, goes back to the States with new wife. Some time later with help of photos he had taken and recollections and input from his wife he starts to make models of buildings, landmarks, and vignettes of life and traditions in that far away place from a time long passed. The couple revisits her village and brings with them a bunch of his models. Later the couple starts to return every year with a new model or two and the fellow makes repairs to any old ones in need.

That all of this was completely unexpected and amazing made the discovery for us all the more wonderful !

What else this gentleman did in his life I do not know but he is clearly a clever and productive individual. There was an old newspaper clipping in the museum with a pic of him in his workshop. Looked a bit like the photo K6ON posted earlier - I think the fellow was a radio engineer or something.  Anyway, I imagine him as a modest, reflective fellow, dreaming up scenes, sourcing parts, tinkering. Quietly working away on his projects in his time off. And then those long drives north into another country to give back to that little village on the edge of the bush.

Not a bad legacy.

Edit to add a media link:

https://www.cbc.ca/n...story-1.4246252

It's unsung heroes like this that make a real difference in the world. Thanks for passing on this story!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#56 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:28 PM

klahanie, I was just talking about felting. I have not tried it but just watched a short video. Thank you for sharing! 

And as for 3 pin and the banjo - it could be worse - it could be an accordion. 

Edited by teledork, 26 March 2020 - 10:30 PM.

#57 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:34 PM

<snip>

And as for 3 pin and the banjo - it could be worse - it could be an accordion. 

Perfect pitch is defined as throwing a banjo into a dumpster and hitting an accordion.  :P

I am haunted by waters

#58 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:49 PM

Both great  "social distancing" tools.

Frank

#59 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:21 AM

This looks like it could be Ted's secret Quarantine stash.

Frank

attachicon.gifIMG_4654.jpeg

Panamint Springs Resort?

Thom

Where does that road go?

#60 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:35 AM