Photo
- - - - -

Purchased first FWC (used). Remodeling questions!

water pump faucet solar wiring canvas fwc granby grandby ranger new owner

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Snaves

Snaves

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City

Posted 15 March 2020 - 05:33 PM

My wife and I recently purchased our first FWC and couldn't be more excited. Here is a pic from our trip home from to UT from MT. 

rsz_img_9603_1.jpg

The camper came with some of the original paperwork, which I thought some might find interesting. There is a handwritten note from a former owner (not the most recent) regarding WTW - so I am wondering if you are out here in the forums? We may be able to save others some reading if I could contact you directly with some questions.  :)

rsz_1rsz_img_9694.jpg

First question - The warranty clearly states that it is a Granby model, but the schematics of the various interior layouts match the Ranger model. Ex: bed slides out to the edge of the stove unit. I have photos of these but seem to be limited by how many I can attach. Any ideas what model we are working with here? Thought it might help to know as we do research. 

Second question - the rear pop up assembly had a blowout at some point, and now it hits the rear countertops when driving (isn't able to be held up to the roof anymore). it looks like a simple fix as there is only one hole, but my question is what hardware was here? Was it a button? There are two straps with buttons on the end, but I am unsure what they clip through. Or maybe they clip together?

rsz_1rsz_img_9688.jpg

3rd Question - The faucet is cracked, so when I filled the water tank last night and began hand pumping water quickly leaked onto the counter. Wish I would have noticed this when we picked it up as we were promised that everything worked. Easy fix, I am just looking for recommendations for everyone's favorite faucet. 

4th Question - Related to the above. Camper is wired for a water pump (I think, see photo below), but there isn't currently a pump installed. We would like to add one back in which shouldn't be too hard as the wiring is already there. What pump/s is everyone using? Looking for something dependable but doesn't need to be top of the line. 

rsz_img_9690.jpg

The camper has had some wiring modifications, so I may be back with more questions as I attempt to wire it to our truck (if a previous owner who did the wiring is on WTW your insight would be extremely useful!). As of now we have just ordered an AGM battery. 

Thanks in advance everyone!

Edited by Snaves, 15 March 2020 - 05:37 PM.

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,528 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 15 March 2020 - 05:40 PM

Second question - the rear pop up assembly had a blowout at some point, and now it hits the rear countertops when driving (isn't able to be held up to the roof anymore). it looks like a simple fix as there is only one hole, but my question is what hardware was here? Was it a button? There are two straps with buttons on the end, but I am unsure what they clip through. Or maybe they clip together?”

There is typically a knob there, the straps wrap around the knob and snaps together. Or, that was how my Grandby was.

I am haunted by waters

#3 Jon&Sue_DeArman

Jon&Sue_DeArman

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, Washington

Posted 15 March 2020 - 05:58 PM

Second question - the rear pop up assembly had a blowout at some point, and now it hits the rear countertops when driving (isn't able to be held up to the roof anymore). it looks like a simple fix as there is only one hole, but my question is what hardware was here? Was it a button? There are two straps with buttons on the end, but I am unsure what they clip through. Or maybe they clip together?

post-10099-0-83319600-1584293372_thumb.j

It is correct that the knob is missing, However, to hold the pop-up panel up while driving required a sliding door latch  that may or may not be there since I can not tell from your picture

#4 Snaves

Snaves

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City

Posted 15 March 2020 - 06:31 PM

Second question - the rear pop up assembly had a blowout at some point, and now it hits the rear countertops when driving (isn't able to be held up to the roof anymore). it looks like a simple fix as there is only one hole, but my question is what hardware was here? Was it a button? There are two straps with buttons on the end, but I am unsure what they clip through. Or maybe they clip together?”

There is typically a knob there, the straps wrap around the knob and snaps together. Or, that was how my Grandby was.

Thanks for the response! So my take is that the knob is there to hold the panels in the upright position? As the strap is coming from the top panel, would go around the knob in the bottom panel, and then button back to the top. Easy!

#5 Snaves

Snaves

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City

Posted 15 March 2020 - 06:34 PM

post-10099-0-83319600-1584293372_thumb.j

It is correct that the knob is missing, However, to hold the pop-up panel up while driving required a sliding door latch  that may or may not be there since I can not tell from your picture

Jon and Sue: Thanks, I was wondering about this as I had seen images of this on newer campers. I am wondering if these older models are different as there is quite a gap between the panels in the down position and the load lifter (board? bar? Not sure what this is called). So because of this gap a door latch would not work. I believe the second strap would potentially reach the knob and button back to itself, so I will try this for now and let you know. 

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,528 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 07:34 PM

Snaves, yes on the strap.  I have a photo somewhere of the sliding latch.  I’ll post it when I find it.

1A34A928-DB1A-4A59-83E3-1A42418322DF.jpeg

Here’s the latch.  It’s on the rear lift bar, and slides into a hole in the aluminum frame that’s on the lower portion of the back lift pane.  The block with the big hole is for a speaker lift to raise the top when its too heavy to lift manually.  Look for speaker lift threads to get an idea of how that goes together.

I am haunted by waters

#7 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 15 March 2020 - 09:05 PM

As an addition to the above posts ... ours is from that era, a '97, the rear panel has been replaced with a home brew but the locking bolt remains. It is attached onto the ceiling cross piece at camper centreline and was positioned right at the rearward edge (relocated slightly in this pic. you can see 2 of the orig fastener holes towards the left). Can't remember the orig lift panel part but fwiw was told the bolt prevents a bad guy from being able to lift the closed top from outside.

ON EDIT maybe I've got that wrong, and I put that latch in there... I think the draw bolt action was side to side into part of the AL frame on the panel. That would prevent lift. anyhoo you get the idea ...

gallery_351_1339_1022120.jpg

Edited by klahanie, 15 March 2020 - 09:31 PM.

#8 Snaves

Snaves

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City

Posted 15 March 2020 - 10:39 PM

Thanks all for the photos and suggestions!

-Found a knob at Lowes that works well keeping the rear panels in the upright position. 

Handle we replaced

-Here is a picture of the ceiling in the “down” position. As you can see there is a large gap between the ceiling cross piece and the rear panel, so the door latch hardware wouldn’t work in this case. It looks like for this model there was a second buttoned strap installed here for this task, however as soon as I stopped holding the weight of the ceiling the button popped. I’ll have to re-rig a stronger system.

Rear roof panel

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,528 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 11:25 PM

I’m not certain that slide lock is needed.

I am haunted by waters

#10 WyoIDI

WyoIDI

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationCody, WY

Posted 16 March 2020 - 04:40 AM

No slide lock on my 90's grandby.  Just the nylon strap buttoned around the knob.

92' Grandby, 93' f350 7.3L CCLB

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: water pump, faucet, solar, wiring, canvas, fwc, granby, grandby, ranger, new owner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users