10 replies to this topic

#1 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 17 March 2020 - 05:27 PM

‘Quick Report’ 3-1 to 3-14.  We had to enter the WRT through the Potash Rd on 3-1 for our five nights of camp reservations; Gooseberry [3-1], White Crack [2 nights], Murphy and Taylor.  From 1900 to 0400 at Gooseberry we had a hard downpour.  Then no more rain on WRT.  Biggest surprise on WRT were the two major climbs; Murphy Hogback [almost stalled out at the cruz location half way up; tires spinning on solid rock shelf] and Hardscrabble.  They were tough [20%] with blue sky only view out windshield but what made them nerve wracking was the potential of meeting someone coming the opposite direction on either grade.  Up-hill right of way means nothing, since neither vehicle could back up or down.  We only encountered three vehicle on WRT and one was going CCW while we and the rest were CW.  This must be stopped or someone is going to bite it.  Simple to only issue permits for a CW direction [recommended direction by BC Rangers].  The WRT was drop-dead gorgeous but understand that it is a crawl; we averaged about 4 mph for the 90+ miles.   

Moab was a zoo with a total tourist trap feel [I grew up in Reno]; Razor/Jeep rentals ruled.  Nice local folks and aquatic center has great showers.  Maverick gas stations [either end of town] have potty dumps and potable water sources.

2-28 overnight at Fisher Towers; highly recommend and easy to get to.

Other stops and routes but memorable ones were Muley Point overnight, outstanding panoramas and 2 Vermillion Cliffs sites.  State Line CG on Rock House Road was an A+.  Permit for S. Coyote on 3-11; got there 3-10 and had another heavy downpour overnight. 4+ hours on 3-11 photographing and then went to White Pocket via 1084 at Poverty Flats ‘Ranch’ to 1086 to White Pocket.  I do not recommend this route to White Pocket; in-spite of wet sand, better traction, the sand was bottomless and deeply rutted.  The last downhill grade before 1086 was extremely deep and loose; I doubt I could have gotten back up it.  My wife had taken a photo tour to both before and we agreed that White Pocket is #1; plus for now no permits.

We left White Pocket on 3-13 with rain in forecast and drove out on 1086-1087 the only way to go in or out in my opinion.  Still rock ledges and deep sand but 100% better than 1084.

Our Tuweep CG reservations were for 3-14 and 3-15 but the night of 3-13 in Kanab we had a biblical rain [with snow in AM] fall all night into 3-14.  Tuweep was out; coupled with more rain and snow coming and possibility of the insane potential for travel restrictions between states we cut for home.  Leaving Tuweep on the table, cancelling Hell's Backbone Grill dinner [that was tough to do]; cutting out HITR and Cathedral Valley [which we had previously camped at].

WRT and White Pocket were the gems.  Worth the effort to get to them; BUT I am done with crazy lottery, permit crap.  Back to locations without people; they do exist!

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 17 March 2020 - 05:31 PM.

#2 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 17 March 2020 - 08:28 PM

It's been a crazy few weeks, lots of rain in the SW,  I agree with you that the WRT should be CW only, every climb or decent made me nervous, I'm sure the outfitters want to maintain both directions for bike tours as it lets them use a single vehicle/trip for drop off of one trip and pickup of another.

Cheers!

Bob

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#3 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 18 March 2020 - 12:54 AM

It's been a crazy few weeks, lots of rain in the SW,  I agree with you that the WRT should be CW only, every climb or decent made me nervous, I'm sure the outfitters want to maintain both directions for bike tours as it lets them use a single vehicle/trip for drop off of one trip and pickup of another.

Cheers!

Bob

Bob...thanks again for your advice and information while we were putting this together...you were spot on.

Phil

PS....Three related observations...my Cooper AT3s performed great [60 psi] and my Warn winch on a receiver tray in front did dig into the sugar sand [no damage other than packed with sand; but i have the Warn neoprene cover on it] between S. Coyote and White Pocket due to 2 foot deep ruts in the sand which had me climbing the bank to avoid the high center of the road..

Lastly my left front turnbuckle used a small snap link that had a screwed connector.  That snap link [not a climbing strength snap link] distorted and loosened the turnbuckle slightly....I removed the snap link and attached the turnbuckle from hanger to hanger...end of problem.  No other turnbuckles loosened and we did "rock and roll" the 2016 Hawk in our 2005 Tundra AC SR5...Hellwig anti-sway bar and air bags really helped stability.

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 18 March 2020 - 01:08 AM

Waiting impatiently for pics ;)

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 18 March 2020 - 09:43 PM

‘Quick Report’...

Other stops and routes but memorable ones were Muley Point overnight, outstanding panoramas and 2 Vermillion Cliffs sites.  State Line CG on Rock House Road was an A+.  Permit for S. Coyote on 3-11; got there 3-10 and had another heavy downpour overnight. 4+ hours on 3-11 photographing and then went to White Pocket via 1084 at Poverty Flats ‘Ranch’ to 1086 to White Pocket.  I do not recommend this route to White Pocket; in-spite of wet sand, better traction, the sand was bottomless and deeply rutted.  The last downhill grade before 1086 was extremely deep and loose; I doubt I could have gotten back up it.  My wife had taken a photo tour to both before and we agreed that White Pocket is #1; plus for now no permits.

We left White Pocket on 3-13 with rain in forecast and drove out on 1086-1087 the only way to go in or out in my opinion.  Still rock ledges and deep sand but 100% better than 1084.

Phil

I did warn you about that road, but it's the only feasible route between Cottonwood Cove and White Pocket.....  Made that route back and forth many times over the years, but last year it was in pretty sad shape and rearranged some items in the camper...but I would do it again with proper air pressure and some momentum.

Road 1086 & 1087 I did tow a travel trailer in and out three times, but would not recommend it if you don't know how to drive in that environment.

We are considering going back next month as our other trips have been cancelled.  Glad you enjoyed the area, but rain, that is a bit much to really enjoy it without worrying about the slick clay roads.

https://kanecountyof...om/attractions/

https://www.terragal...ket-map-blm.jpg

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#6 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 19 March 2020 - 12:03 AM

I did warn you about that road, but it's the only feasible route between Cottonwood Cove and White Pocket.....  Made that route back and forth many times over the years, but last year it was in pretty sad shape and rearranged some items in the camper...but I would do it again with proper air pressure and some momentum.

Road 1086 & 1087 I did tow a travel trailer in and out three times, but would not recommend it if you don't know how to drive in that environment.

We are considering going back next month as our other trips have been cancelled.  Glad you enjoyed the area, but rain, that is a bit much to really enjoy it without worrying about the slick clay roads.

https://kanecountyof...om/attractions/

https://www.terragal...ket-map-blm.jpg

Yes, lots of warnings printed in guides about the "short-cut" between Poverty Ranch [1084/1023] and 1086 to White Pocket from the Cottonwood Cove road; but as you say I doubt that the road is "healing" over time and is only getting tougher.  Deep sand was not the issue; ruts in the sand and resulting high center berms were the issue.  35+" wheels tend to do that! Going to White Pocket on 1084/1323 was a test; but if we had to reverse that route and climb back out up that last steep down grade before you intersect 1086 [on 1323], it would have required a lot of luck and more than my winch/MaxTraxs to make it up that long sand hill with a turn midway up to slow you down.  We found our FWC Hawk / Tundra was a great combo and personally I would not even dream of pulling any trailer in.  That would be tempting fate; but then I am not a "trailer guy" in the backcountry.  

1084/1323 is not the only feasible route to White Pocket from Cottonwood Cove...My recommendation if you are visiting S. Coyote and want to go to White Pocket would be to egress [South on 1082/1081/1066] on the S. Coyote road to the 1017 [ W/E 'entry road'] intersection and then head North on 1087/1086 to White Pocket.  Distance is not the issue and it is not that much further; getting stuck is.  Ultimately if given the choice I would skip S. Coyote and go to White Pocket.

Hey, new country to me but we had a ball !

Phil

Ps...Photos?  Sorry not in my skill range to post them; besides I am the sight-seer and my wife is the photographer [3 camera bodies/6+ lens and tons [literally] of "accessories".... :)

Edited by Wallowa, 19 March 2020 - 12:06 AM.

#7 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 21 March 2020 - 02:40 AM

Sent a letter to Eastern Utah NP Superintendent recommending that they require traffic on WRT only go in a clockwise direction.  They permit all traffic on the WRT thus can control it; plus put up one-way signs and enforce such a mandate.

Phil

#8 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 21 March 2020 - 02:26 PM

I am not sure a one way rule on the WRT is really feasible.   As you know the permitted campsites can be hard to get, and it is often harder to string together several into a reasonable loop.   I have done it both ways for this reason, one trip there were sites available at the east end first, and on another trip they were available on the west end first.    By restricting the direction of travel you would greatly impact the ability to use many of the camp sites on the trail.  

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#9 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 21 March 2020 - 02:37 PM

Rando,

Good point; my feeling is that the fun of driving the WRT will take precedent over camping at one of the permitted CGs....and ultimately the decision will be made on which is more important not having a potentially disaster or needing to drive further to spend the night camping.  Yes, getting up at midnight [when reservations first come online] 5 nights in a row months ahead of trip to reserve camp sites was a pain in the ass....but if you do that you can get sites...we got all five we wanted, in a CW direction...including 2 nights at White Crack.

Hey, I could be wrong!   B)

Phil

#10 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 21 March 2020 - 03:26 PM

Definitely a difference of opinion on this one.   

I usually bike the trail and much of the traffic in the warmer months is bikes, so making sure we can get a campsite every 30 miles or so is pretty critical.  I also don't find the climbs to be all that scary in a car (more exhausting on a bike).  With Murphy's you can see the entire ascent on both sides from the top and bottom, so easy to check if anyone is on it before you start up/down.   Hardscrabble has less visibility, but there are several places to pull over in the middle and listen for anyone coming up/down.     Neither of these is nearly as difficult as the Flint Trail in the Maze. 

Overall the WRT is one of the easier trails in Canyonlands and is done by Subarus, so I would be surprised if they were to restrict it. 

But we are all entitled to our opinions and to express them!  

Edited by rando, 21 March 2020 - 03:43 PM.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users