14 replies to this topic

#1 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 20 March 2020 - 08:46 PM

Is anyone using Amazon Prime for photo storage? If you are/have, what’s your opinion?

This looks like it might be a good deal.

Attached File  3F7CCC27-7C5B-479D-A98F-09A8418F8FD1.jpeg   120.49K   26 downloads

I am haunted by waters

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 20 March 2020 - 10:09 PM

Steve when I got my new Nikon A1000 it has wi fi and an app called Snapbridge that stores free

"unlimited"photos. You might look into that.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 21 March 2020 - 02:44 PM

I use prime storage, mostly as a cloud storage for my RAW (NEF) files.  I have a SmugMug account that allows unlimited .JPG storage.

The Amazon storage seems to work fine and I have it set to automatically backup the folders wherwe I download my cards to so there isn't really any thought required, biggest issue was that when I first set it up I used the entire monthly allotment of bandwidth uploading files and had to pay some overage charges to Cox but nothing since that first month.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 04:38 PM

I use prime storage, mostly as a cloud storage for my RAW (NEF) files.  I have a SmugMug account that allows unlimited .JPG storage.

The Amazon storage seems to work fine and I have it set to automatically backup the folders wherwe I download my cards to so there isn't really any thought required, biggest issue was that when I first set it up I used the entire monthly allotment of bandwidth uploading files and had to pay some overage charges to Cox but nothing since that first month.

That is what I would like to do as well.  Can you provide some specifics on your platform, and how you are uploading?  Or if there’s a prime link to those details, would you share...

I am haunted by waters

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 07:30 PM

Not being a being tech person I'll try.

If you have a Nikon with Wi Fi or another brand of digital camera.

With Nikon they have an app called   "snap bridge".

Just down load it to your phone and follow the directions.

It's fairly simple.I really haven't used it that much.But works fine.

It stores the photos or you down load them to your phone.

That's about the extent of my knowledge. Hope that helps.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 07:58 PM

Frank, I appreciate  the ideas, but I don’t think they're going to work for me.  I have many multiple thousands of RAW images stored on large external hard drives.  I’m looking for a direct method to transfer from my iMac and drives to the Prime cloud.  I suspect there is one, but I want to get the details of how it works.

I am haunted by waters

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 08:25 PM

Don't think that app would do you any good.

Although I find it handy in that I can take a picture

and up load it to the phone at that time and send it out.

Frank

#8 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 22 March 2020 - 12:01 PM

Smugmug...

Chris MacAskill, @Baldy and owner of AdvRider web site and forum, started Smugmug with his son.

Both are good platforms for photographers and outdoor enthusiasts.

Chris also has a very nice web site, launched, but a "still a work in progress" for photography enthusiasts.

I have been pleased with Smugmug storage plans for my RAW/DNG images.  I use cloud storage only for the very special images I've culled and don't want to lose if something bad happens to my backup SSDs.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#9 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:24 PM

That is what I would like to do as well.  Can you provide some specifics on your platform, and how you are uploading?  Or if there’s a prime link to those details, would you share...

In a nutshell I only shoot RAW photos and download all of them to a NAS  device that is being watched by Amazon photos.  Whenever I add a new folder or photos to the watched directory on the NAS drive it uploads them to Amazon and maintains the directory sturcture, I try to name my directories by location and date for the NEF files, when I upload to SmugMug galleries they might get sorted a bit different but I try to include the date in the gallery name there as well.

Hope that helps.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#10 dennis 221

dennis 221

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:26 PM

wish I did! an best part is they have a sharing sections so my kids could view all my travel pictures! but I don't have prime

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users