• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ruck_and_Roll

Ruck_and_Roll

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado

Posted 23 March 2020 - 07:52 PM

So, I now am working from home, for better or worse.  I have a 2008 Hawk and instead of using it to get "away," fortunately I now needed to be more connected than ever.  Damn.  

My thought is all I need to work from home is enough (a) power and an (B) internet connection, including a © cell phone signal.  

I can figure out (a) power by doing any necessary power upgrades.  

As for internet connection, any have any experience using things for mobile wi-fi?  Thinking the obvious would be to use my cell phone as a hot spot.  I'm not sure that would cut it though.  Anything else out there?

Seems to me, I would have to go satellite route.  Not sure if that is feasible.  Very early in all this research.

Best,

Luke

2021 Ford XL SuperCrew HD Payload Pkg

2008 FWC Hawk

Western Colorado, USA

Instagram: @lukeyfiasco

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 23 March 2020 - 08:08 PM

Hi Luke,

Enable your cell phone's WiFi Hotspot and see how well it works for your needs. Be sure to turn off the hot spot when you are not using it and tell any Windows devices you connect to the hotspot to do not perform automatic updates or you may exceed your data allotment if not unlimited. Keep the phone plugged into power so that you don't run down the battery.

After several days, you will be better informed about how to proceed.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 23 March 2020 - 08:44 PM

I've used my cell phone for computer work somewhat regularly. If you are just doing simple surfing you'll be fine. The difficulty comes when using things like Office 365 or so....If you do all your work "in" the computer and just need internet for sending and receiving emails, all will be good. You can use the phone itself or a tablet with cell services as well. I also have an iPad with a bluetooth keyboard on occasion, it work rather well also. The cell phones I've used have been iPhones and Samsung Galaxy S8+. All of these instances were in populated areas with good cell service though. Being really remote may change things a bit as well. 

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 23 March 2020 - 09:45 PM

I started working remotely last fall from my camper.  I use the IPhone to make calls, and also as a wi-fi hot spot for Skype & Zoom.  I got a USMobile sim card and a 4G data plan.  This would still not be possible without a WeBoost 4G and Trucker antenna.  The WeBoost gets me 4-5 bars when without it there is only 1 bar.

#5 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 24 March 2020 - 12:32 AM

I also use my iPhone as hotspot while traveling.   It works well - with LTE I get >10Mbps which is fine for just about anything I need to do.   With a mac it will recognize the phone as a metered connection and not do updates and the like. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#6 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 24 March 2020 - 01:48 AM

+1 on a cell booster.  I also have a WeBoost 4G-M.

The supplied omni antenna is permanently mounted on top of the camper, and is adequate most of the time.

I also have a directional YAGI antenna that I can raise ~20 ft in the air when the omni isn't good enough.

I use my iPhone on Verizon as my primary hotspot, but also have a Smart Talk hotspot on AT&T and  buy prepaid GBs.

Covers just about everywhere I go out west.

But I just use it for phone calls, weather, and e-mail.

If you haven't already, take a look at Tecnomadea.  They have been working mobile for a long time.

https://www.rvmobile...t.com/overview/

If you are relying on a cell connection for work you will want redundancy.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#7 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 24 March 2020 - 02:10 AM

I have done quite a bit on my Samsung S7. I really want to get a booster and get a more refined set up. I have noticed that I have issues with Skype and similar apps. I have an Unlimited Verizon plan.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#8 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:07 AM

This can be a rather complex issue.  It can depend on where you are.  It can depend on the time of day. It can depend on how many other people are trying to use the cell towers at the same time.  Everybody and their kid brother try to use the same cell towers in quartzite during the winter season. It  can depend on how much data you need to use every month.  Many of the so-called unlimited plans slow WAY down after you go over a certain amount of data.

You really should spend some time over on the Mobile Internet Resource Center.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

Btw, for people who absolutely, positively need connectivity to earn a living, Chris and Cherie recommend having both Verizon and AT&T plans and devices.  Often you can get one to work where/when you can't get the other one to.

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#9 Ruck_and_Roll

Ruck_and_Roll

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:12 PM

Thanks to all.  Looks like some great places to start.  Appreciate it. 

2021 Ford XL SuperCrew HD Payload Pkg

2008 FWC Hawk

Western Colorado, USA

Instagram: @lukeyfiasco

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users