45 replies to this topic

#1 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 23 March 2020 - 11:03 PM

May have been covered but I could not find it....

Can you use a receiver hitch as a lifting point for a high lift jack?

Inserting the jack or and extension of some type into the hitch and lifting the front or back of the vehicle?

Thanks...Phil

#2 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 23 March 2020 - 11:05 PM

I've done it to stretch my suspension when pulling a blown airbag in the field. But I don't know the specs.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#3 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 23 March 2020 - 11:17 PM

I've done it to stretch my suspension when pulling a blown airbag in the field. But I don't know the specs.

Hi LH,

I did read about your DV fix of the airbag using the HLJ...but how did you use the hitch as an attachment point for the jack?

Thanks...Phil

#4 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 24 March 2020 - 01:50 AM

I wouldn't want to exceed the maximum tongue weight.  Even then, you're lifting up, not pushing down.

#5 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 24 March 2020 - 02:06 AM

I have lifted all of my vehicles at some point by the trailer hitch. Never had a problem.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#6 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 24 March 2020 - 03:03 PM

I have lifted all of my vehicles at some point by the trailer hitch. Never had a problem.

Not exceeding the tongue weight limit seems to make sense....and lifting an empty '05 Tundra AC SR5 is way different than one with a '16 loaded Hawk and lots of "stuff" on board.  Wish there were some data on what weight can be lifted via a receiver hitch.

How did you lift your vehicles by the hitch?  Using what?  What was the approximate weight lifted?

Thanks for input and experiences.

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 24 March 2020 - 03:04 PM.

#7 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 03:24 PM

Hi Phil

What are you really asking ?

A factory designed class 3 or better frame mounted hitch would no doubt be a robust lift point .

That said, there is no reason to assume it is safe to lift the entire rear of the vehicle 12 inches off the ground to change the tires or something.

What really are you asking ?

David Graves

#8 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 24 March 2020 - 03:41 PM

Not exceeding the tongue weight limit seems to make sense....and lifting an empty '05 Tundra AC SR5 is way different than one with a '16 loaded Hawk and lots of "stuff" on board.  Wish there were some data on what weight can be lifted via a receiver hitch.

How did you lift your vehicles by the hitch?  Using what?  What was the approximate weight lifted?

Thanks for input and experiences.

Phil

I use a high lift jack and stick the lifting part of the jack into my hitch. This is only something I do in a recovery situation and my hitches are class 5. High lifts are very nice but can be dangerous. Look up some how to videos on them to see if they are for you. The jacks is only rated for 5,000 pounds. Also check out the high lift tire attachments

As for weight I have lifted a Dakota with a FWC Eagle and a Tacoma with an Eagle. We have also used two to lift the back of a F-450 brush truck. 

Are you looking at recovery or something else?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#9 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 24 March 2020 - 03:43 PM

Hi Phil

What are you really asking ?

A factory designed class 3 or better frame mounted hitch would no doubt be a robust lift point .

That said, there is no reason to assume it is safe to lift the entire rear of the vehicle 12 inches off the ground to change the tires or something.

What really are you asking ?

David Graves

Dave,

I am asking for either data or empirical information/details to verify:  "..hitch would no doubt be a robust lift point' and the seemingly contradiction that "no reason to assume it is safe to lift the entire rear of a vehicle 12 inches..".  Not assumptions but numbers and direct experiences.

Does anyone have solid data or experience lifting the rear of a pickup with a camper using a high lift jack inserted in a receiver hitch?

That and those that have done this; how did you insert the high lift jack into a 2" receiver hitch?

Phil

PS:

Kolockum,

Just saw your post...that is what I was looking for...sizes, numbers and "did it work"...I have the wheel lift attachment for my high lift but that doesn't work to change that tire, only to lift that corner of the truck...

By chance can you estimate the weight your jack was lifting in the examples you gave?

No doubt Eagles weigh less than my Hawk. 

Missed your last question:  More for changing a tire, repairing an air bag or recovery if MaxTrax or winch can't cut it...

Thanks...Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 24 March 2020 - 04:37 PM.

#10 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 04:40 PM

Hi Phil

Ask the engineer and company who design and market the High Lift Jack you own and use...and their lawyers.

Your response was a bit snippy...if you are not looking for members opinions then don't ask on a member based internet forum.

If you are asking members of this forum to contribute I don't see how you can have it both ways....

Empirical is a big word.

David Graves

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users