45 replies to this topic

#21 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:35 AM

I did make that plate and I had thot of making a short run of them way back when, but when I worked out the pricing I couldn't make it worthwhile. In the desert racing community there is/was someone making a similar skid plate for a specific jack (I *think* an HF jack). AHA! http://dmzfab.com/pr...on-racing-jack/ It's apparently quite the thing these days, got a lot of hits from searching "floor jack skid plate".

In most receiver hitches the tongue weight is a torsional load. I *think* that it's safe to assume that the rotational direction of the torsion is not significant to the design. Given that, you can then assume that max tongue weight is also the max lifting weight.

Saw that plate and thanks...want to find the specs for the HF 2 ton [lifting height and jack height]...but will probably get them..

Appreciate all the time and input for folks on this forum....many ideas and approaches that I missed!  Even a lot of off-road bottle jack applications seem to be available...

Stay safe out there..

Phil

#22 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:24 AM

Ah! Now an off-road bottle jack that was shown to me has two concentric rams that telescope! They're not easy to find as they are made in Italy for Land Rover and as far as I know they aren't sold anywhere. Any found in our travels thru the local pic-n-pull yonke go home with us.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#23 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:06 AM

Ah! Now an off-road bottle jack that was shown to me has two concentric rams that telescope! They're not easy to find as they are made in Italy for Land Rover and as far as I know they aren't sold anywhere. Any found in our travels thru the local pic-n-pull yonke go home with us.

Like this?

https://www.amazon.c...c/dp/B07L4PHGPK

#24 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 27 March 2020 - 03:32 PM

That would be interesting with some of SafeJack products

I may be upgrading my bottle jack.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#25 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 27 March 2020 - 03:37 PM

That would be interesting with some of SafeJack products

I may be upgrading my bottle jack.

Thinking about it for sure...I realize that a bottle jack has less stability under load than a floor jack...

What size say ye?  3 or 4 ton?  I do like the idea of a carrying case; don't like that it is made in China, but so is 95% of everything anymore.

Phil

#26 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:40 PM

Just in time for this thread I managed to bury our Kubota 4 WD tractor the other day working along our riverfront.

I was reminded of Murphy's third corollary which states "It better to engage brain prior to getting your tractor stuck."  

It was a good reminder that there is seldom one tool that will solve getting unstuck....rather a combination of local resources and taking it little by little while all involved keep calm.

I sure never want to bury our 3/4 ton Chevy with Hawk...but realized the best response will be keeping calm, taking ones time and not making things worse.

David Graves

#27 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:57 PM

Thinking about it for sure...I realize that a bottle jack has less stability under load than a floor jack...

What size say ye?  3 or 4 ton?  I do like the idea of a carrying case; don't like that it is made in China, but so is 95% of everything anymore.

Phil

Are you asking about that double ram I showed above?  The safejack is a 6 ton.  That aussie guy talks about 8 ton units for off roading.

#28 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:11 PM

Are you asking about that double ram I showed above?  The safejack is a 6 ton.  That aussie guy talks about 8 ton units for off roading.

Ozzie guy?  Missed that.  The Safe Jack is $$$; but if the product is superior to others then perhaps cost vs benefit may be there.

Don't understand why an 8 ton jack?  almost 3:1 safety factor?  Still looking and listening!

Phil

#29 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:21 PM

Ozzie guy?  Missed that.  The Safe Jack is $$$; but if the product is superior to others then perhaps cost vs benefit may be there.

Don't understand why an 8 ton jack?  almost 3:1 safety factor?  Still looking and listening!

Phil

#30 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:43 PM

Thanks Vic...my learning curve seems flat!  Ronny is good...I watched his two videos on recovery gear...learned a hell of a lot..

8 ton jack for higher lift...never crossed my mind...nor using the base plate from my HLJ for a bottle jack...nor perhaps needing two bottle jacks...or OEM and 8 ton BJ.

Thanks for directing me to his videos...appreciated.

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 27 March 2020 - 09:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users