#1 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:35 PM

Biscuits

Attached File  29B123C1-71AC-482A-8C56-64A598699D0F.jpeg   106.11K   15 downloads

Preheat the oven to 450°F

Ingredients

2 cups (270 grams) all-purpose flour

4 teaspoons baking powder

3/4 teaspoon salt

8  tablespoons (115 grams) unsalted butter, slightly softened

2/3 cup (160 ml) cold milk

Extra flour for work surface

To measure the flour, stir the flour to lighten it before spooning it up & placing in the measuring cup. Fill to the top/mounded then, using a long flat surface like the back of a knife blade, level the flour across the top of the cup. 

Place the flour in a large bowl. 

Add the baking powder and salt to the flour and stir to blend.

Cut the butter into cubes and to the flour in the bowl then toss to cover the butter cubes in the flour. 

Using your fingertips, rub the butter and flour together rather vigorously until the butter has been completely incorporated into the flour and the mixture resembles damp sand or cornmeal. 

Add the milk, about a third at a time, mixing vigorously into the flour with a fork until the dough forms into a rough ball & there is no more dry flour/butter mixture.

Attached File  0D8F58B6-73D8-4F61-A317-02E2E2005EF1.jpeg   204.99K   13 downloads

Gather the dough together and and place on a floured work surface, dusting the dough itself with a little flour. Knead the dough very, very briefly only until you have a homogenous and smooth dough. 

Using a rolling pin and a very light touch (roll the dough without pressing down on the rolling pin into the dough), roll out the dough to a thickness of 1/2-inch (1 cm). The dough should be light and fluffy, not packed.

Using a round biscuit or cookie cutter, cut out small rounds (press straight down then up, not twisting the cutter) and place on an ungreased cookie or baking sheet.

Attached File  A2781E79-2DA8-40EC-8B39-AC9BDB022B71.jpeg   126.24K   9 downloads

Place the cookie/baking sheets with the biscuits in the preheated oven and bake for 10  to 12 minutes.

The biscuits will have risen, the layers slightly separating, and the tops and the bottoms (carefully lift one up and look) will be a nice golden brown.

Eat hot or warm with butter. 

I am haunted by waters

#2 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:47 PM

Thanks! In between working on a set of wood oars, I can work on these.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,335 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 28 March 2020 - 11:32 PM

Going in the oven now. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 12:36 AM

I bet they look a bit like this...

Attached File  019689C0-B962-41F1-9C13-26CCC35EF828.jpeg   97.95K   10 downloads

I am haunted by waters

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,335 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 29 March 2020 - 12:39 AM

How'd you get in our oven?

I had three helpings. The Lady's first biscuits from scratch.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 12:41 AM

I snapped the shot while you were walking with The Lady :P

I am haunted by waters

#7 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 29 March 2020 - 11:08 PM

Oh my those look GOOD!!!

I will give your recipe a try Steve!

A biscuit recipe I received for an old school, now deceased, South Carolina, southern lady who could cook southern fired chicken and biscuits like no other. 

2 cups flour (she insisted on White Lilly or wouldn't make biscuits)

first 4 ingredients sifted together several times

2T unsalted butter

2T Crisco shortening (if you want to go true souther like Bojangles biscuits, use lard)

3/4C cold buttermilk (do not use fat free or low fat)  you might need and extra tablespoon or 2 as you work the fat into the flour.  But start with 3/4C.

To keep from overworking the flour mixture, rub the butter and Crisco into the dry ingredients using only your fingertips (she insisted upon this technique) until you have lumpy crumbs.  Be gentle and work quickly so body temp doesn't melt the fat.

The mass will be very sticky.  Put out on a floured surface, gently flatten and fold over onto it itself.  Repeat 3 or 4 times.  Gently press down until you have a 1" round.  I use a 1.5" and sometimes a 2" cutter.  Place biscuits on parchment lined cookie sheet so they just barely touch (important to get the fluffy rise).

Take scrap dough and and make another 1" thick round.  Cut and place these biscuits, just touching on a separate area of the cookie sheet.  They will end up a little tougher and not as fluffy because the dough were overworked a bit to get the second round.

Put sheet in preheated 450F oven for 15 minutes.  Add more time if you like a deeper golden brown, but closely watch to ensure they don't burn.

Serve with softened butter and raw, local honey.

Edited by Advmoto18, 29 March 2020 - 11:27 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,959 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 30 March 2020 - 12:16 AM

I had three helpings. The Lady's first biscuits from scratch.

Coincidentally, my wife was making biscuits and ham & bean soup for dinner today.  I didn't know there was another way to make biscuits beside "from scratch".  Lucky man, I guess!

biscuits & Ham/Bean soup

#9 Mthomas

Mthomas

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Tahoe

Posted 30 March 2020 - 05:21 AM

Oh my those look GOOD!!!

I will give your recipe a try Steve!

A biscuit recipe I received for an old school, now deceased, South Carolina, southern lady who could cook southern fired chicken and biscuits like no other. 

2 cups flour (she insisted on White Lilly or wouldn't make biscuits)

first 4 ingredients sifted together several times

2T unsalted butter

2T Crisco shortening (if you want to go true souther like Bojangles biscuits, use lard)

3/4C cold buttermilk (do not use fat free or low fat)  you might need and extra tablespoon or 2 as you work the fat into the flour.  But start with 3/4C.

To keep from overworking the flour mixture, rub the butter and Crisco into the dry ingredients using only your fingertips (she insisted upon this technique) until you have lumpy crumbs.  Be gentle and work quickly so body temp doesn't melt the fat.

The mass will be very sticky.  Put out on a floured surface, gently flatten and fold over onto it itself.  Repeat 3 or 4 times.  Gently press down until you have a 1" round.  I use a 1.5" and sometimes a 2" cutter.  Place biscuits on parchment lined cookie sheet so they just barely touch (important to get the fluffy rise).

Take scrap dough and and make another 1" thick round.  Cut and place these biscuits, just touching on a separate area of the cookie sheet.  They will end up a little tougher and not as fluffy because the dough were overworked a bit to get the second round.

Put sheet in preheated 450F oven for 15 minutes.  Add more time if you like a deeper golden brown, but closely watch to ensure they don't burn.

Serve with softened butter and raw, local honey.

Your missing three of the first four ingredients

2018 Hawk FD 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD

#10 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 07:17 AM

There’s funny culinary tradition in the Sagebrush family.  During the depression, my grandparents would invite machinists that worked with and for my grandfather to frequent family meals.  My grandmother would always have everyone’s favorite, biscuits from scratch, maybe sausage gravy as well.  After cutting out the standard round shapes, she would take all of the remaining scraps, press them into a large ball, flatten and bake it with the others.

One of the men, Bill Nelson by name, would always ask for that particular biscuit.  It didn’t take long for it to receive the name of the “Bill Nelson Biscuit”.  

That was in the 1930s.  Nearly ninety years and four generations later, we still call that big misshapen biscuit the Bill Nelson.  When ever biscuits are served at our house, you better be quick with your request.  There’s serious competition for the Bill Nelson Biscuit.

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users